Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to judge Leonardo.

Either he's

a) tactically clueless and a poor manager, as evidenced by poor result after poor result in Milan or

B) he was seriously unlucky to walk into the Milan job at a time when their squad was deceptively poor and aging, but the amitions hadn't yet changed and anyone would have failed under the circumstances.

Think it's a combination of both, wouldn't want him.

It's B, plus they had a ridiculous amount of defenders get injured last season. In the end, they did about as well as the previous season under Ancelotti, with the 2nd best defensive record despite the injuries. He lost Kaka and wasn't really given much of the money to improve the squad either. They should have been more patient with him.

Petrov wants MacDonald as boss

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has urged owner Randy Lerner to hire caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald on a permanent basis.

MacDonald was given the role in the wake of Martin O'Neill's shock resignation from the club and eased the pressure with a resounding 3-0 win over West Ham on the opening day.

The Scot has not held a managerial role since a brief period at Leicester in 1994 before moving to Villa, and he stated he was not sure if he was a big enough name to take the job.

Lerner has given MacDonald another game to impress against Rapid Vienna in Thursday's Europa League qualifier, and Petrov was keen to see him given a chance.

"The way he prepared us for the game showed us that he wants to hold onto that job - and I hope we can help him take that job," said Petrov.

"We are behind him. He has been at the club a long time, done a great job with the youth and he has the opportunity to do it now.

"I said to him before the game, 'you try and hold onto that job'.

"He knows it's hard. Expectations are high and people want success and they talk about big names - but he has the opportunity and he is really determined to stay there.

"We played really well, we showed what we can do and if it keeps going that

way there is no reason why he cannot make his own name.

"There are those managers who like the show and the attention - and then there are those such as Kevin.

"I'm not going to say it is in Kevin's hands now but much will depend on how Kevin feels, whether he thinks this might be right for him, if he is comfortable with the idea of being Villa's manager.

"He is such a cool guy, he is popular with the players who really played for him and with the fans and the press. We will see how he feels when he wakes up from this and then we will look at the situation from there."

Is Lerner really going to Milan or was that just bull?

If so, though its a bit outlandish, maybe Leonardo is who he wants to speak to. Young, which fits with MM thing about him wanting someone who will build his own dynasty, he is a free agent so no compo payments, and his English is fantastic.

My own personal preference is someone whose managed in the league before but he might not be a bad outside tip.

Certainly a risk tho, only just read back a few pages there and people are rightly commenting on his results with Milan oaps.

I think Leonardo tried to change Ancelloti's Milan by setting them a new vision but got pressures when dropping some of the OAP's! He's a very articulate man, knows the game and could you imagine the pull he'd have for young Brazillian players, he was a technical director at Milan so that may be a reason with Kev McDonald as Head Coach!

I think Leonardo tried to change Ancelloti's Milan by setting them a new vision but got pressures when dropping some of the OAP's! He's a very articulate man, knows the game and could you imagine the pull he'd have for young Brazillian players, he was a technical director at Milan so that may be a reason with Kev McDonald as Head Coach!

Young Brazilian players require work permits which aren't forthcoming in the UK.

Holland has a relaxed arrangement, which is why so many have cut their teeth playing there over the years.