Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got them 3rd after losing Kaka and then had Pato and Pirlo out injured for periods. He also wanted players which Berlusconi wouldnt sign. Also got Ronaldinho fit and playing well again. The 1st 25 minutes in San Siro vs United was absolute brilliant to watch and they could have won the tie in that period

Lots of people in Brazil wanted him as new manager

I want to be shocked by our next managerial appointment but in a big, big way because we appoint a big, big man. I don't want any muppets at Villa Park thank you very much. That would be sooooooo disappointing. MON love him or hate him brought great excitement to Villa Park when he arrived. We want the same this time too. Fans clamouring to Villa Park delirious with joy.

Please Stun me Randy BIGTIME!

Muppets need not apply!

But... a big, big man could turn out to be a muppet. It's not mutually exclusive. How Barca laughed when a 'muppet' their ex-translator, was given his first coaching job. Mourinho hasn't done too badly since, I'd say.

And for all the excitement over MON, well, in the end he was no better than above average really, wasn't he? When he was meant to be the messiah, the biggest 'name' available at the time.

Manager hunts are a crap shoot. I'll just back whoever we choose, even if it's someone I can't stand the sight of (Sven) or someone irredeemably crap (Curbishley, Southgate).

The more I think about Leonardo the more the idea grows on me. Only suggested him as he was the first person who popped into my head when thinking of Milan. Could be a possibility I guess, would be an inspired appointment. I wonder if this could start a new rumour and an slash in odds :thumb:

It's hard to judge Leonardo.

Either he's

a) tactically clueless and a poor manager, as evidenced by poor result after poor result in Milan or

B) he was seriously unlucky to walk into the Milan job at a time when their squad was deceptively poor and aging, but the amitions hadn't yet changed and anyone would have failed under the circumstances.

Think it's a combination of both, wouldn't want him.

Not sure where Leonardo has got this reputation of being a good manager from?

He was distinctly average at Milan...and that's his only management experience.

Pass. I'd keep K Mac over him.

Think someone mentioned this in another thread, but would anyone be against having Laursen in as Macdonald's 2nd??? I know we shouldn't get excited after one game.....but I'd think I'd cry if that happened! 2 men that know our club and players inside out....

Skysport... Sven talks

Sven-Goran Eriksson has stated that he has received no contact from Aston Villa over possibly taking the vacant manager's job.

The former England boss is without a job after leaving the Ivory Coast following the World Cup this summer, and is among the favourites to be offered the role at Villa Park following Martin O'Neill's departure.

Eriksson was linked with the position in 2006 after leaving England before O'Neill was appointed, and made no secret of his desire to make a return to management.

Big club

However he claimed he had heard nothing from the Midlands club, who may turn to caretaker Kevin MacDonald after an emphatic 3-0 victory over West Ham in their opening game of the season.

"I have had no contact with them," said Eriksson.

"I want to get back into football. It's a big club, everybody knows that, but I've had no contact. We'll see what happens.

"There are so many available managers around Europe and around the world, I'm not the only one (not contacted). And they did very well yesterday so they might not do anything

I want to be shocked by our next managerial appointment but in a big, big way because we appoint a big, big man. I don't want any muppets at Villa Park thank you very much. That would be sooooooo disappointing. MON love him or hate him brought great excitement to Villa Park when he arrived. We want the same this time too. Fans clamouring to Villa Park delirious with joy.

Please Stun me Randy BIGTIME!

Muppets need not apply!

But... a big, big man could turn out to be a muppet. It's not mutually exclusive. How Barca laughed when a 'muppet' their ex-translator, was given his first coaching job. Mourinho hasn't done too badly since, I'd say.

And for all the excitement over MON, well, in the end he was no better than above average really, wasn't he? When he was meant to be the messiah, the biggest 'name' available at the time.

Manager hunts are a crap shoot. I'll just back whoever we choose, even if it's someone I can't stand the sight of (Sven) or someone irredeemably crap (Curbishley, Southgate).

You make some excellent points but overall a big big man normally does do the job at Villa Park for a time. Graham Taylor, Big Fat Ron & yes MON to name a few. We are in a really solid position at the moment thanks to Martin & how we would have progressed with him still here is purely now hypothetical. Ferguson needed 3 years to turn Man U round so no one really knows now what Martin would have eventually achieved either way.

Like you I will back one million per cent whoever finally nails the job but I just feel a big name gives or more chance of success.

Your point about Mourinho is valid but in percentage terms such success happens very rarely & is the stuff of legends. We have had enough Muppets at Villa Park, Turner, McNeil, Dr Jo, DOL, etc etc to last a life time & that's why I don't want to go down that route ever again.

If we get Sven, we'll get no commitment & no loyalty. Plus you had better all lock up your wags.

If you lock up your wags you'll also be able to watch the footy in peace.

Shut the **** up Doreen!