Match Thread

andykeenan

Sidwell is throwing himself into some tasty challenges now...

Bit too late now mate, where were you when we needed it?

On the bench where MON placed him.

Really? I seem to remember him playing 13 of the 14 first league matches last season.

It wasn't to the end of the season when we started to fade. How many did he play then?

Did we fade at the end?

Don't think so.

League games from April

09/10:

4 wins

1 draw

2 losses

Let;s goal back to the games where we blew it.

From March 13th.

4 wins

4 draws

4 defeats (including F.A. Cup loss to Chelsea.)

Yes we faded, draws against Stoke (0 minutes), Wolves (13 minutes, we equalized after he came on) and Sunderland (13 minutes).

So to answer you question, "Where were you when we needed it?" On the bench were MON placed him. Or on the field and helping us equlaize aginst Wolves.

I am i sounding a bit thick when I say, that if the Villa v Benfica game ends as a draw, then surely a penalty shoot out against those 2 teams would decide the tournament winners?

Oh we won this because our opponents only managed a draw in their previous penalty shoot out against another club? Just doesnt make sense to me!

Maybe I am tired?

Or just thick?

Or both....

I am i sounding a bit thick when I say, that if the Villa v Benfica game ends as a draw, then surely a penalty shoot out against those 2 teams would decide the tournament winners?

Oh we won this because our opponents only managed a draw in their previous penalty shoot out against another club? Just doesnt make sense to me!

Maybe I am tired?

Or just thick?

Or both....

That's what I was getting at. Surely there will have to be a shootout tomorrow as well?

Really? I seem to remember him playing 13 of the 14 first league matches last season.

It wasn't to the end of the season when we started to fade. How many did he play then?

Did we fade at the end?

Don't think so.

League games from April

09/10:

4 wins

1 draw

2 losses

From March 13th.

4 wins

4 draws

Yes we faded, draws against Stoke (0 minutes), Wolves (13 minutes, we equalized after he came on) and Sunderland (13 minutes).

So to answer you question, "Where were you when we needed it?" On the bench were MON placed him. Or on the field and helping us equlaize aginst Wolves.

So what you are saying is that when we started to fade, Sidwell was not there. Then when we went back to winning at the end of the season, and putting the fade behind us, Sidwell was not there.

What is your conclusion, really?

Did we fade at the end?

Don't think so.

League games from April

09/10:

4 wins

1 draw

2 losses

From March 13th.

4 wins

4 draws

So what you are saying is that when we started to fade, Sidwell was not there. Then when we went back to winning at the end of the season, and putting the fade behind us, Sidwell was not there.

Look at the teams we beat Bolton, Hull, Portsmouth and Blues. Even a faded team should beat them. Two relegated teams amongst them. Bar for the Hull game we scraped through the rest. We came up against two decent sides and got beat.

Funny when we lose 2-1 to an Irish team no one has ever heard of,then it don't matter cause it was just an friendly game, but when we win,then it really matters,I mean even Sidweel was good :-)

another note, we don't need a new striker, Heskey is one FIRE,he was not shit anyway :-)

I think it goes on points, so obviously if we draw with Benfica tomorrow we're on level points, then it goes to your shootout record. Benfica have won 1 and we've drew 1, so to win the tournement I assume we have to beat Benfica or draw them win the shootout.

Funny when we lose 2-1 to an Irish team no one has ever heard of,then it don't matter cause it was just an friendly game, but when we win,then it really matters,I mean even Sidweel was good :-)

Who said tonights win really matters? You're just looking for n excuse to moan about something as usual mate.

another note, we don't need a new striker, Heskey is one FIRE,he was not shit anyway :-)

No one has said that this match matter. Why do you make such a ridiculous claim?

Did we fade at the end?

Don't think so.

League games from April

09/10:

4 wins

1 draw

2 losses

From March 13th.

4 wins

4 draws

Look at the teams we beat Bolton, Hull, Portsmouth and Blues. Even a faded team should beat them. Two relegated teams amongst them. Bar for the Hull game we scraped through the rest. We came up against two decent sides and got beat.

The point was that someone made a strange comment that Sidwell was placed on the bench by MON when we needed him, implying that he should have started.

I thereafter inform that he played during the first third of the season, and he thereby has gotten a fair chance.

That he eventually went completely off form and was axed was his own fault, and his sub appearances during our slump were not showing any evidence that he was good enough for Aston Villa.

One good match against the U21 team of Feyenoord will not change that, and the idea of coming up with Bullshit which indicate that Sidwell has not been given a fair chance is as crazy as the though of Sidwell being able to turn Villa around in the poor form that lasted through the month of March.

No one has said that this match matter. Why do you make such a ridiculous claim?

Cool down, was only teasing 8)

The point was that someone made a strange comment that Sidwell was placed on the bench by MON when we needed him, implying that he should have started.

I thereafter inform that he played during the first third of the season, and he thereby has gotten a fair chance.

That he eventually went completely off form and was axed was his own fault, and his sub appearances during our slump were not showing any evidence that he was good enough for Aston Villa.

One good match against the U21 team of Feyenoord will not change that, and the idea of coming up with Bullshit which indicate that Sidwell has not been given a fair chance is as crazy as the though of Sidwell being able to turn Villa around in the poor form that lasted through the month of March.

I have bolded the part where you are making assumptions. He was needed for fresh legs to bring on in the second half when the likes Petrov fitness wasn't up to it. If you couldn't see we needed fresh legs in the second half then well...

Sidwell was replaced after the games you mentioned due to Downing getting back to fitness. We all know MON has his favs and it had to be Petrov, Milner Young or Sidwell. Yeah let's take a guess.

Up until Sidwell stopped starting we won the Peace Cup. And:

League Won 7, Tied 3 and Lost 3. Not a bad start.

Cup Won 1, Tied 1 and Lost 1.

So again I think I answerded your original question aptly. He was on the bench where MON placed him.

Edit* But we can agree to disagree, thanks for the debate.

I have bolded the part where you are making assumptions. He was needed for fresh legs to bring on in the second half when the likes Petrov fitness wasn't up to it. If you couldn't see we needed fresh legs in the second half then well...

And that's what he did in the 13 matches he was a substitute in the latter 2/3 of the season.

Seems a bizarre rule to me if a draw against Benfica gets decided by past shootout record. Surely a direct shootout with Benfica is a fairer measure of performance than our respective records against teams we beat in regulation play? I know it's not like this pre-season stuff is important, but just saying...

And that's what he did in the 13 matches he was a substitute in the latter 2/3 of the season.

But very rarely came on.

First 13:

7 wins , 3 ties, 3 losses

Last 12

4 wins, 4 ties, 4 losses

Faded, have a good day.