Barry Bannan

villianusa

Barry, is that you?

Seriously Con are you just trying to play devils advocate, or you really believe he is a premier league CM?

I'm staggered if you think the latter, no he's not the reason we lost tonight, but he's symptomatic of why we are bottom 3. He's not very good, and possibly one of the most ineffective midfielders I've seen at the club.

Because he's small, lightweight shit in the tackle and cant win a header you think he might make up for it by being brilliant on the ball like Iniesta. But he's not. Honestly NRC is a limited player, but he is far more effective than Bannan.

The fact that Lambert keeps picking him, really makes me question Whether Lamberts appointment was a mistake.

Bannan is not the reason we were overrun in the first half and he was not the reason we dominated the second half.

Come on, we know the reason the match took the course it did: manager's tactics and selections.

Bannan is not the reason we were overrun in the first half and he was not the reason we dominated the second half.

Come on, we know the reason the match took the course it did: manager's tactics and selections.

I seen it with my own eyes along with the other 30.333 people who attended the match

He was the reason we got overrun in the first half

He could not get the ball back off any newcastle player he just let them run past as if he was casper the friendly ghost

His closing down was minimal he just stood there ballwatching

Ive never seen such a mismatch in my life him taking on sissoko was the equivalent of a tick taking on a mammoth

In the rare occasions he actually got the ball he either got shrugged off the ball gave it away or did the usual land crab sideways and backwards pass with no end product putting more pressure on an already shite defence

I keep hearing you talking how he's meant to be a playmaker he does not make any plays at all

He's meant to be creative?

He does not find or make any space for himself everything is rushed he reminds me of a rabbit caught in headlights he has no composure whatsover

Edited by AshVilla

Is it Bannan's fault he's not a defensive midfielder? No, so don't blame him, or divert attention to him.

How many times do I have to make that point!

Bannan has no position on the football pitch other than "Passenger"

You cannot afford to have passengers in a relegation dogfight

You will not get away with it in the middle of the park

The engine room is one of the most vital positions on the pitch

In one sense, Bannan is a similar player to Bent in that he needs the right formation and players around him to play well. 

Playing a central midfield of Bannan and Westwood against the bigger, stronger bodies of Sissoko, Gouffran, Gutierrez and Cabaye is **** asking for trouble.

Bannan has no position on the football pitch other than "Passenger"

You cannot afford to have passengers in a relegation dogfight

You will not get away with it in the middle of the park

The engine room is one of the most vital positions on the pitch

Which explains why Swansea is so high up the league.

If Villa do go down, Bannan will probably be heading to south Wales either with Cardiff or Swansea. 

Is it Bannan's fault he's not a defensive midfielder? No, so don't blame him, or divert attention to him.

How many times do I have to make that point!

It doesn't matter if you're a defensive midfielder or not, you need to be competitive in midfield and he's not.

So you think he's like Ireland and needs to play as an Attacking Centre Mid. He's not good enough for that. So you are agreeing he shouldn't be in Centre Mid?

Con I don't understand on what basis you think Bannan is good enough to be a centre Midfielder for Aston Villa?

I seen it with my own eyes along with the other 30.333 people who attended the match

He was the reason we got overrun in the first half

He could not get the ball back off any newcastle player he just let them run past as if he was casper the friendly ghost

His closing down was minimal he just stood there ballwatching

Ive never seen such a mismatch in my life him taking on sissoko was the equivalent of a tick taking on a mammoth

In the rare occasions he actually got the ball he either got shrugged off the ball gave it away or did the usual land crab sideways and backwards pass with no end product putting more pressure on an already shite defence

I keep hearing you talking how he's meant to be a playmaker he does not make any plays at all

He's meant to be creative?

He does not find or make any space for himself everything is rushed he reminds me of a rabbit caught in headlights he has no composure whatsover

Utter shit!

Dont blame bannan for that first half, it was the manager pure and simple with his naive tactics.

Bannan actually had an okay game and passes the ball better then most of our team. Yeah i dont think he should be with us next season but to blame him solely for the first half is completly stupid

It doesn't matter if you're a defensive midfielder or not, you need to be competitive in midfield and he's not.

So you think he's like Ireland and needs to play as an Attacking Centre Mid. He's not good enough for that. So you are agreeing he shouldn't be in Centre Mid?

Con I don't understand on what basis you think Bannan is good enough to be a centre Midfielder for Aston Villa?

I think Bannan is a superb little player but modern teams have squads and some matches you wouldn't play Bannan, either at all or in the CM position.

If Westwood is playing better than Bannan substitute "Bannan" for "Westwood" in the above sentence. That is my philosophy.

Tonight was one night when it turned out it didn't matter - the formation was at fault. Sissoku only dominated the first half because the tactics sucked. The big Frenchman played the second but was overrun.

Not Bannan's competitiveness in either case. Tactics and selection.

Utter shit!

Dont blame bannan for that first half, it was the manager pure and simple with his naive tactics.

Bannan actually had an okay game and passes the ball better then most of our team. Yeah i dont think he should be with us next season but to blame him solely for the first half is completly stupid

First of all Utter shit? strong words but my opinion don't like it tough tits

You might be shocked but i agree with the naive tactics part

It was poor team selection on behalf of the manager

Bannan should not have even started the game in the first place

I trust what i seen with my own eyes and feel nothing but vindicated by yet another rubbish performance

Should he actually have a good game i will be one of the first to congratulate him for doing so

Somehow i think it will be a long time coming...

I thought Bannan was brilliant in the second half. 

The reason we were over run in the first half wasnt Bannans fault, was the fact that Newcastle has so much space down the wings cos of that really stupid formation we played, they were just strolling and Bannan & Westwood were just running round like headless chickens. Our midfield was completely over ran, isn't surprising when they have more players in their midfield. To blame today on Bannan is just stupid. Thought he played some really nice balls in the second half and was always trying to be positive. 

Edited by PieFacE

Which explains why Swansea is so high up the league.

If Villa do go down, Bannan will probably be heading to south Wales either with Cardiff or Swansea. 

You really are a wind up merchant arnt you. 

You really are a wind up merchant arnt you. 

If you understand how Swansea play football it's not an outlandish suggestion at all.

Check out this graphic. The first goal Sissoko passed a ball between three CDs... why? the gap was so large because they had to cover the whole penalty box themselves. with 4 defenders the penalty box has more protection. you can't blame Barry Bannan for these tactics. 

20r90ft.png

... the smoking gun. Bannan is innocent.

Are people really blaming him though? They're just saying he isn't good enough. Some stats i'd love to see, stand outside Villa Park on match day and ask the people who go week in week out if Bannan is a top draw player.

Are people really blaming him though? They're just saying he isn't good enough. Some stats i'd love to see, stand outside Villa Park on match day and ask the people who go week in week out if Bannan is a top draw player.

Why even mention him? There is no need. No need to deflect attention away from the manager.

Why even mention him? There is no need. No need to deflect attention away from the manager.

Why shouldn't i mention him? I don't think he's as good as you're making out. I sit there every game and cant see what makes him this future Swansea star. Yes, you can pull all the stats up as you like and dress it up how you want, but just ask the people what they think about him. Also the manager isn't that good either.

If bannan kept it simple he would manage to escape the criticism he gets on here. But instead he plays stupid balls that either go out and go straight to the opposing defender. (Anyone see the one last night where Weimann nearly decapitated people in the technical area trying to keep a ball in from Bannan?). Also his set pieces, this float the ball in crap is useless. IMO you can only get away with that if you have a very good player taking them and a big centre half to rise above the other players and head them down. However Bannan doesn't have the technical ability to do this and should therefore concentrate on whipping the ball in and hoping someone gets a flick on.