Barry Bannan

villianusa

Not generally a fan at all but his delivery against Southampton in the second half was the best I've seen yet from him and he could have easily had 2 or 3 assists.

the main word your said was "could" ..this is the problem,the last 2-3 seasons we have had players who "could" have been better/could have shot etc etc.. we need players who "can"! CAN shoot/pick a pass/change the game..COULD MIGHT GET US RELAGATED

the main word your said was "could" ..this is the problem,the last 2-3 seasons we have had players who "could" have been better/could have shot etc etc.. we need players who "can"! CAN shoot/pick a pass/change the game..COULD MIGHT GET US RELAGATED

Bannan did provide opportunities to score. The striker could have scored them.

If Barry Bannan just hits a hopeful ball into the box and Benteke through sheer strength and physical ability jumps and heads it. That would be an accurate cross for Bannan and improve his stats. But anyone watching would see that it was a nothing ball into the box which was won by our big attacker.

Comparing his crossing to beckham is laughable.

If that is the case then why has Lowton got a success rate of 17%? Why has Albrighton got a success rate of 23%? Etc... Bannan's delivery is second to none. It just so happens this statistic proves it.

I'd hardly describe his crossing as 'nothing balls' he consistently creates good chances with them, he can drill them in or whip them in, it doesn't matter as more often or not they are very accurate crosses. As i said its a shock when he over hits a cross. He has a very good delivery and you really can't take that away from him.

At the moment there is just a massive gap between DM and top 3, which is why we end up playing long balls all the time.

This this and this. Bannan is playing (if you could call it that) 5 yards infront of the back line and it'd pulling everyone in front of him back ten yards.

He might be able to pick 3-4 key passes out a game but the fact is he has no other element to his game, hes got the body of a 15 year old and no presence at all hence the way teams walk through us like we are a man down in the middle. Ship him out..................................

Aston Villa have not won a Premier League match without Barry Bannan since 21st January, 2012.

We beat Wolves 2-3. Gary Gardner played that game. Gary Gardner also played in the previous win, helping us beat Chelsea 1-3 (Bannan was on as sub for the third goal but this result doesn't count to his win total).

That's nearly a whole year without a win without Bannan, and more than a year without a win without Bannan or Gardner in the team (Bolton, December 2011).

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Aston Villa have not won a Premier League match without Barry Bannan since 21st January, 2012.

Which means precisely knob all.

Spurs didn't win for 25 games with Bale in the side.

That didn't mean Bale was a bad player and the above doesn't mean that Bannan is a good one.

We've simply not won many games and he has played in most of our games. Two facts which not directly a consequence of each other are in my opinion linked.

I don't understand why so many have it in for Barry. There's worse players in the team and midfield who are getting a free pass in terms of criticism relative to Barry.

Bannan gets more response from people who don't like him because there's people on here who make claims like his crossing ability is as good as beckhams was.

Now if our other midfield players had this constant ridiculous praise heaped upon them then I'm sure they would probably have more responses on their threads.

Edited by Big_John_10

We've simply not won many games and he has played in most of our games. Two facts which not directly a consequence of each other are in my opinion linked.

He's not played regularly.. All the minutes he's played this season totals 1339.

We've played 22 Premier League matches. If you look through the archive you'll find each match is 94/95/96 minutes, not 90 minutes.

95 minutes * 22 = 2090 minutes. Bannan has played 1339 of those 2090 minutes available for him to play. Our best midfielder is only being played 64% of the time.

(When I said 54% earlier I was either incorrect or the stats have since changed because I've just recalculated the figure).

For the victories, Bannan was on the pitch for the important time in the match that got the goals. Not just "featured" when it was a draw, got subbed, then we won the game without him, not making an appearance as sub when the game was already won.

He's not played regularly.. All the minutes he's played this season totals 1339.

We've played 22 Premier League matches. If you look through the archive you'll find each match is 94/95/96 minutes, not 90 minutes.

95 minutes * 22 = 2090 minutes. Bannan has played 1339 of those 2090 minutes available for him to play. Our best midfielder is only being played 64% of the time.

(When I said 54% earlier I was either incorrect or the stats have since changed because I've just recalculated the figure).

For the victories, Bannan was on the pitch for the important time in the match that got the goals. Not just "featured" when it was a draw, got subbed, then we won the game without him, not making an appearance as sub when the game was already won.

I'm not listening.

Aston Villa stats. Shows how many chances Bannan has created.

http://www.squawka.c...ton-villa/stats

These statistics are neutral... not compiled by a Villa fan.

Bannan has created massively more chances than any other Aston Villa midfielder. 28 chances created in 1339 minutes of football. That works out as 1 chance created every 48 minutes.

How does Bannan compare to other midfielders around the league?

Gerrard 58 chances created in 2080 minutes. 1 chance created every 36 minutes.

Cleverley 11 chances created in 1186 minutes. 1 chance created every 108 minutes.

On chances created Bannan is closer to Gerrard than Cleverley.

Here's the Villa table -

dcu1op.jpg

Edited by Con

And yet here he is at one of the worst teams in the league.

Beckham like crossing, created chances at a level close to Gerard, surely he's off to the big clubs in the summer then.

He'd do better if he had the necessary protection in the midfield that we don't possess and if Lambert didn't make bizarre choices like playing Weimann wide.

And yet here he is at one of the worst teams in the league.

Beckham like crossing, created chances at a level close to Gerard, surely he's off to the big clubs in the summer then.

Yes, sadly he might be, for next to nothing compared to his true value.

I'd expect Wigan, Swansea, Arsenal or Man Utd to be interested, but he'd probably only leave us for Arsenal or Man Utd.

We'd still have Gary Gardner, if he can regain his form after injury, but if we could keep both Gardner and Bannan I believe we would have two world class players in our team.

Under present ownership we can't afford to buy two world class midfielders, so Bannan and Gardner, as potential world class players, are IMO the Villa future.

So you think bannan will be playing at arsenal or man u next season?

Depends how well he plays for the rest of the season. If he is still the best crosser in the league by a mile, and is creating chances at the same rate, but we still go down... if I was Wenger or Ferguson, I'd make a cheeky offer.

Half the Villa fanbase will blame the relegation on Bannan even if he was one of our better players of the season. Who would miss him until he comes back to Villa Park playing for the other side?