Barry Bannan

villianusa

One thing about him that pisses me off is when he keeps trying these long 'hollywood' balls

The odd one has gone to the opposition but I think there have been a great deal that have worked or where the player it was intended for hasn't read the ball. If it was Cantona or Merson Making the pas people woulld blame the players for not reading it which actually happened when Merson first signed.

Keep doing it I say, the worst is Ash, some of his free kicks and passes are just so wayward that it can only be put down to the player and there has been some much easier passes to other players he could have made.

It's more than the odd one, to be honest.

It happened twice against Arsenal and at least 3 or 4 times against Blackburn IIRC.

I'm glad he's trying it, but he needs to keep practicing to get it perfect!

I don't know but it would be interesting to see what other top prem players success rate is as I am sure none or very few are 100% and few clubs would expect 100% so to mention twice against Arsenal is a little harsh in my opinion. The Blackburn game was always going to be a big learning curve for the Bannon and this was even mentioned by GH before that game.

He is not the finished article but he is showing signs that he will get there, we all rave about albrighton yet out of the two players it was faults of Marc that were raised by GH not Bannon.

Let him keep trying else we might as well play with Osbourne :|

I agree he's not the finished article. The issue with him missplacing long passes in games is that we're playing a bit of a possession game at the moment and we will build our play for 5 minutes until we create a goalscoring opportunity... If Bannan loses the ball then we've wasted our work of pushing the opposition back.

Aston Villa coach Gerard Houllier to provide support to Barry Bannan to be able to play the same role like Xavi at Barcelona.

Midfielder who last season was loaned out to Blackpool it has managed to get into the Villa first team. Debuted in the Premier League has been marked in the opening match of this season as a reserve player.

But now, increasingly impressive appearance Bannan. He has also scored his first goal for Villa on stage Europa League game against Rapid Vienna in August.

Houllier warned young Scottish players it should not be underestimated with her small stature as well as Lionel Messi, Xavi and Pedro in Barcelona.

"I have said Bannan was the best player in the world even though he is shorter than your posture," Houllier said in an interview to the daily The Sun.

"Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pedro. You can see and imagine if they only play on the junior team right?"

"They had a technique that quickly and young players like Bannan also has all the ability. Premier League is expected to have a physical specimen, not just height alone."

"Sometimes you do need high players in some positions. But I see Bannan also can compete well in his position," he said.

http://tinyurl.com/2wc85l3

My favourite bits..

But now, increasingly impressive appearance Bannan.

Houllier warned young Scottish players it should not be underestimated with her small stature as well as Lionel Messi, Xavi and Pedro in Barcelona.

"They had a technique that quickly and young players like Bannan also has all the ability.

A_smiling_mexican_man_with_a_mustache_wearing_a_suit_and_sombrero_100611-021246-313060.jpg

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier has urged Barry Bannan to watch and learn from Lionel Messi if he wants to become a star.

The Frenchman believes the 21-year-old Scotland international has what it takes to make it to the very top despite being 5ft 7in.

Bannan was given his first-team breakthrough by caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald at the start of the season and Houllier has been suitably impressed with the diminutive midfielder since he took over the reigns.

The Frenchman said: "I told him to just take a close look at the Barcelona game against Real Madrid.

"I said, 'The best players in the world are even smaller than you - Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Pedro and Messi'.

"You see them and the way they play and yet you wonder if they have come in from the youth team sometimes.

"They have fast technique. They are not players who are slow, stop the ball and then look around and move it. That's for grandad. Not even your dad - your grandad. These players have fast technique.

"You need that and desire. That's what I like, their work rate when they lose the ball. That should be a lesson to all players."

Houllier has urged Bannan to set his sights high and think big if he wants achieve greatness.

He added: "The Premier League has got more physical, but it is not a matter of size. It's also a matter of commitment - and Barry is competitive.

"I have had players at other clubs who were the same size and had wonderful careers.

"Those very top players are not huge, but they are intelligent, have skill and the desire. Young Barry has all of that."

Thought we missed him at Liverpool, we needed his creativity, especially with Young suspended. The CM balance was all wrong on Monday.

Agree re the balance that he brings but I thought he looked poor on Saturday against the Baggies. Fine when he was on the ball, although he had to come too deep to pick it up, but fairly ineffectual otherwise. I don't know whether this was tiredness, dip in form (to be expected with young players) or simply that he was just outnumbered or outmuscled by the Baggies' three man CM. I thought Hogg looked much more involved and had a very good game. I was willing Ged to take Bannan off for NRC much earlier than he did to solidify us a bit and close out the game.