Barry Bannan

villianusa

I think it would be best for him to go to his boyhood club Celtic

No chance. Not good enough.

Have we finally reached the end of the Bannan thread? Everyone must be bored now. Bannan's in the reserves, not going to get a game. 

Just a question of him using the England Scotland game to showcase his ability. How will the England fans on here feel about facing Bannan when he plays for Scotland?

He was awful when he played for Scotland so (a) not much hope of getting a decent move out of it and (B) I'd love it if he started against England but it really wouldn't surprise me if he got dumped from the first team again.

So your telling me that you don't think banana would rack up a fairly decent assist tally in the spl? I've spoken to a lot of die hard bhoys that would love to have him there, providing they get him on the cheap/free or if he's part of a swap plus cash deal for a player

That was meant to say bannan not banana (auto correct is useless)

What I actually said as you are so fond of quoting is that 'Bannan offers nothing physically apart from giving pointless and dangerous free kicks'

As he offers absolutely nothing positive physically giving away even only 8 free kicks is his only significant contribution and I just checked and still believe that 8>>>>0.

I wish I could show a player cam of Bannan in the QPR game after Sylla went off it was absolutely toe-curling, QPR just went through him like he wasn't there. I'm guessing that this combined with his pitiful performance against Liverpool convinced Lambert that could no longer afford to carry the player. Hence him not playing a single minute in the last seven games.

As I said in my original post (the full one not the one that keeps being selectively quoted) Bannan's passing is quite good but this simply isn't enough to compensate him offering absolutely nothing else.

Unfortunately he reminds me of the classic Fred Astaire audition 'can't sing, can't act, balding, can dance a little' quote

Bannan can't score goals, can't create goals, can't take corners, can't take free kicks, can't tackle, can't exhibit any physical presence, can't defend set pieces, can't head, can pass quite well. He's not balding as far as I can see though

I don't dislike Barry Bannan and I wish him well in his future career but he's simply nowhere near good enough if Villa want to challenge for the top half of the Premier League which is where I hope we all want to be.

Hmmm, are we back peddling now? Lol. So he gave away 8 free kicks, one of the least amount in the team, and we don't know if they were dangerous or pointless. Right ok, that's fair enough.

I don't think he was particularly problematic defensively. If you put a player like Bannan in that position surely you expect that, a bi like Scholes. His problems are that he didn't do what he was there to do in an attacking sense.

The problem is that there isn't a single position on the pitch where you could put him and it wouldn't create a huge problem. No where near good enough. Not even close.
I'm not arguing that he's good enough, I'm arguing on a single point that was made.

Many people's objective in this thread is to exaggerate negatives to enforce a narrative that Bannan is the worst player since xxx, purely to troll Con. Con pulled someone out on a point with a perfectly good counter argument a few pages back. People don't like it, because they know it was a good reply, and so then the playground bully tactics come in, where someone posts a gif ridiculing Con's opinion in some way. It's classic trolling. If you can't agree, agree to disagree and move on, stop making shit up to trash our own players with just to point score.

Bannan isn't terrible and useless, he simply hasn't quite made the grade, but I think he'll bounce back in his career. It's not really a fashionable view to have in this thread, but I've never been one to feebly follow the crowd. But everybody carry on if it makes you feel better.

No, you don't feebly follow the crowd & neither do I. One thing I have noticed with you in your posts though is that you have latched on to one single comment made by one single poster Adamus & tried to use that to beat up the rest of the crowd with. I never made that comment, so don't use it against me. Instead, if you care to, go back & read some of my comments with reference to this point & reply to them instead.

You are just like Con in so much as you are selective in which points you will respond to. If they completely defeat your arguement you simply just ignore them.

On this occasion, Con's response was fair & reasonable, I have no problem with that. However, as Adamus has pointed out 8>0 Fact. So Adamus's response is also fair & reasonable too. IMHO

The bottom line though in your own words is you don't back Bannans attacking play & you then state that he is never going to give you tackling & physical presence either?

Forgive me, but what type of player does that add upto then & what does he bring to the table then to justify selection?

As according to you I don't understand football or understand Bannan please enlighten us with your unparallelled footballing technical genius & appraisal as to what this magic ingredient & enigma is & what the rest of us alleged footballing ignoramuses are missing?

This question still remains unanswered by you.

If you are as fair minded as you claim then please provide an answer.

Additionally, If you are as fair minded as you claim are you now going to condemn Con for claiming that Bannan is World Class?

Or are you simply just going to ignore the challenge set by this post?

My point from the start, which you've missed, HAS NOT been one in praise of Bannan, but rather one of defending him against a specific criticism that I think isn't deserved or relevant. Because as Con pointed out, he statistically doesn't give away many free kicks, whether those few were pointless or dangerous as stated by Adamus, is less provable, but anecdotally I cannot remember that being a problem of Bannan's.

This is a good example the type of post in this thread, as its objective is clearly to create and exaggerate a negative in order to enforce a narrative, that Bannan is the worst player since *crap player x*, and Con is an idiot to think otherwise.

Con's views are often nuts, but agree to disagree and move on. It really gets beyond when a legitimate researched reply from Con which challenges the claims in a post is in turn met with sglib responses or silly gifs, as was the case here.

Finally, I have given exactly my views on Bannan quite a lot, I cannot see how you have missed the one in the last few pages??

I have to laugh at your post here. Are you a politician? Con does not need you to back him up he is quite capable of that himself. All you have done here is to conveniently hide behind defending Con & then simply failed to answer the question I posed regarding your own opinion.You ask for fair & reasoned debate but you are unfair & unreasonable IMO. If you claim otherwise then please systematically  answer the following questions.

1. Is 8>0? ( a simple yes or no will do)

2. The bottom line though in your own words is you don't back Bannans attacking play & you then state that he is never going to give you tackling & physical presence either?

Forgive me, but what type of player does that add upto then & what does he bring to the table then to justify selection?

As according to you I don't understand football or understand Bannan please enlighten us with your unparallelled footballing technical genius & appraisal as to what this magic ingredient & enigma is & what the rest of us alleged footballing ignoramuses are missing?

3 Do you agree with Con that Bannan is World Class? ( a simple yes or no will do here)

Just simply answer each question & stop being so evasive now the reasoned debate which you call for & demand now puts the spotlight on you & your own opinion specifically.

Ninja Scottish Assassins?

National shortarse association?

No Skills Alliance?

No Soccer Ability?

Never sober actually?

Not Special Anymore

**Not Selected Anymore

Never seen again?

Never serve alcohol?

Normal Scottish Asbo

No Such Assist

Normal service abysmal?

tumblr_lqusfh9rBo1qc8l0f.gif

3 Do you agree with Con that Bannan is World Class? ( a simple yes or no will do here)

Just simply answer each question & stop being so evasive now the reasoned debate which you call for & demand now puts the spotlight on you & your own opinion specifically.

I've never said Bannan is currently "World Class", at least in the sense that you are implying. 

I've never said Bannan is currently "World Class", at least in the sense that you are implying. 

Con - Please give an unadulterated, clear, elucid & unequivocal sense of "World Class" that you do imply then.

Thank You

What I actually said as you are so fond of quoting is that 'Bannan offers nothing physically apart from giving pointless and dangerous free kicks'

As he offers absolutely nothing positive physically giving away even only 8 free kicks is his only significant contribution and I just checked and still believe that 8>>>>0.

I wish I could show a player cam of Bannan in the QPR game after Sylla went off it was absolutely toe-curling, QPR just went through him like he wasn't there. I'm guessing that this combined with his pitiful performance against Liverpool convinced Lambert that could no longer afford to carry the player. Hence him not playing a single minute in the last seven games.

As I said in my original post (the full one not the one that keeps being selectively quoted) Bannan's passing is quite good but this simply isn't enough to compensate him offering absolutely nothing else.

Unfortunately he reminds me of the classic Fred Astaire audition 'can't sing, can't act, balding, can dance a little' quote

Bannan can't score goals, can't create goals, can't take corners, can't take free kicks, can't tackle, can't exhibit any physical presence, can't defend set pieces, can't head, can pass quite well. He's not balding as far as I can see though

I don't dislike Barry Bannan and I wish him well in his future career but he's simply nowhere near good enough if Villa want to challenge for the top half of the Premier League which is where I hope we all want to be.

Hmmm, are we back peddling now? Lol. So he gave away 8 free kicks, one of the least amount in the team, and we don't know if they were dangerous or pointless. Right ok, that's fair enough.

I don't think he was particularly problematic defensively. If you put a player like Bannan in that position surely you expect that, a bi like Scholes. His problems are that he didn't do what he was there to do in an attacking sense.

The problem is that there isn't a single position on the pitch where you could put him and it wouldn't create a huge problem. No where near good enough. Not even close.
I'm not arguing that he's good enough, I'm arguing on a single point that was made.

Many people's objective in this thread is to exaggerate negatives to enforce a narrative that Bannan is the worst player since xxx, purely to troll Con. Con pulled someone out on a point with a perfectly good counter argument a few pages back. People don't like it, because they know it was a good reply, and so then the playground bully tactics come in, where someone posts a gif ridiculing Con's opinion in some way. It's classic trolling. If you can't agree, agree to disagree and move on, stop making shit up to trash our own players with just to point score.

Bannan isn't terrible and useless, he simply hasn't quite made the grade, but I think he'll bounce back in his career. It's not really a fashionable view to have in this thread, but I've never been one to feebly follow the crowd. But everybody carry on if it makes you feel better.

No, you don't feebly follow the crowd & neither do I. One thing I have noticed with you in your posts though is that you have latched on to one single comment made by one single poster Adamus & tried to use that to beat up the rest of the crowd with. I never made that comment, so don't use it against me. Instead, if you care to, go back & read some of my comments with reference to this point & reply to them instead.

You are just like Con in so much as you are selective in which points you will respond to. If they completely defeat your arguement you simply just ignore them.

On this occasion, Con's response was fair & reasonable, I have no problem with that. However, as Adamus has pointed out 8>0 Fact. So Adamus's response is also fair & reasonable too. IMHO

The bottom line though in your own words is you don't back Bannans attacking play & you then state that he is never going to give you tackling & physical presence either?

Additionally, If you are as fair minded as you claim are you now going to condemn Con for claiming that Bannan is World Class?

My point from the start, which you've missed, HAS NOT been one in praise of Bannan, but rather one of defending him against a specific criticism that I think isn't deserved or relevant. Because as Con pointed out, he statistically doesn't give away many free kicks, whether those few were pointless or dangerous as stated by Adamus, is less provable, but anecdotally I cannot remember that being a problem of Bannan's.

This is a good example the type of post in this thread, as its objective is clearly to create and exaggerate a negative in order to enforce a narrative, that Bannan is the worst player since *crap player x*, and Con is an idiot to think otherwise.

Con's views are often nuts, but agree to disagree and move on. It really gets beyond when a legitimate researched reply from Con which challenges the claims in a post is in turn met with sglib responses or silly gifs, as was the case here.

Finally, I have given exactly my views on Bannan quite a lot, I cannot see how you have missed the one in the last few pages??

I have to laugh at your post here. Are you a politician? Con does not need you to back him up he is quite capable of that himself. All you have done here is to conveniently hide behind defending Con & then simply failed to answer the question I posed regarding your own opinion.You ask for fair & reasoned debate but you are unfair & unreasonable IMO. If you claim otherwise then please systematically answer the following questions.

2. The bottom line though in your own words is you don't back Bannans attacking play & you then state that he is never going to give you tackling & physical presence either?

I've answered all of those questions, what do you want it in, Swahili? Blood? Brail? Human excrement? Look back all the answers are there.

However for clarity, question 1. 8>0. You want a yes or no answer to whether 8 fouls is worse than 0? I'm not quite sure what you mean. The bottom line is he never gave away many fouls, as has been stated by me and Con. I'm not defending Con or aligning myself with his views, I mean, are you even reading my posts???

I have to laugh at your post here. Are you a politician? Con does not need you to back him up he is quite capable of that himself. All you have done here is to conveniently hide behind defending Con & then simply failed to answer the question I posed regarding your own opinion.You ask for fair & reasoned debate but you are unfair & unreasonable IMO. If you claim otherwise then please systematically answer the following questions.

I've answered all of those questions, what do you want it in, Swahili? Blood? Brail? Human excrement? Look back all the answers are there.

However for clarity, question 1. 8>0. You want a yes or no answer to whether 8 fouls is worse than 0? I'm not quite sure what you mean. The bottom line is he never gave away many fouls, as has been stated by me and Con. I'm not defending Con or aligning myself with his views, I mean, are you even reading my posts???

Seeing as you are being so deliberately coy & evasive my answer to you is

ron-swanson-computer.gif

Con - Please give an unadulterated, clear, elucid & unequivocal sense of "World Class" that you do imply then.

Thank You

I do and did suggest he had world class aspects to his game (his best in Premier League crossing was evidence for this) and that he had world class potential.

"Potential" is the key word there, saying someone has potential to be world class is completely different to saying they are actually world class.

I said and say the former about Bannan but have never said and don't say the latter. An understanding of this basic point would save a lot of misunderstanding!

You may notice this also explains why I have consistently criticised his game, which is because I think he is potentially world class but not currently actually world class.

Thank You

I do and did suggest he had world class aspects to his game (his best in Premier League crossing was evidence for this) and that he had world class potential.

"Potential" is the key word there, saying someone has potential to be world class is completely different to saying they are actually world class.

I said and say the former about Bannan but have never said and don't say the latter. An understanding of this basic point would save a lot of misunderstanding!

You may notice this also explains why I have consistently criticised his game, which is because I think he is potentially world class but not currently actually world class.

So Con, to narrow this down - please confirm then from deduction above that you believe that Bannan is World Class at crossing. (Not potentially but actually is)

Yes or No?

Thank You

So Con, to narrow this down - please confirm then from deduction above that you believe that Bannan is World Class at crossing. (Not potentially but actually is)

Yes or No?

I will say that last season his crossing was world class. You cannot perform any better than best in the Premier League.

Thank You

Yes or No?

I will say that last season his crossing was world class. You cannot perform any better than best in the Premier League.

Thank you Con.

So, for any doubters, Con is now on record stating that Bannan's crossing was World Class last season.

Con is entitled to this opinion.

Con was not evasive in this answer either for which I applaud him.

Now that we have clarified matters I will now state my opinion that Barry Bannan, based on what my eyes witnessed last season is easily the worst crosser of a ball in the Premier League.

As this appears to be the only World Class issue that we appear to be debating I will leave it at that as, as Con rightly points out "potential" is another matter indeed.

So, let me just confirm here. You are saying that Bannan was THE best player in the PL at crossing last season?

So, let me just confirm here. You are saying that Bannan was THE best player in the PL at crossing last season?

If you ask me if I had  the pick of all the players in the Premier League, to take one cross, would I choose Bannan to take it? No. I'd choose someone like Baines, Bale or Mata. Established, world class players.

That doesn't change the fact he ended up something like 45% accuracy, whilst the rest of the competition is below 35% accurate.

If I had to pick one player to take one cross, from the Premier League, who was not an established, well-known world class player, then I would choose Bannan.

As for being the best player at crossing last season, we only have half a season's worth of data from Bannan. While we have enough crosses to compare him to other frequent crosses (about 112 total crosses) I  couldn't call him the best crosser unless he sustained that form over a longer period.

You can't get much better crossing stats than he has but it's still just a glimmer of what he might be able to do.

If you ask me if I had  the pick of all the players in the Premier League, to take one cross, would I choose Bannan to take it? No. I'd choose someone like Baines, Bale or Mata. Established, world class players.

That doesn't change the fact he ended up something like 45% accuracy, whilst the rest of the competition is below 35% accurate.

If I had to pick one player to take one cross, from the Premier League, who was not an established, well-known world class player, then I would choose Bannan.

As for being the best player at crossing last season, we only have half a season's worth of data from Bannan. While we have enough crosses to compare him to other frequent crosses (about 112 total crosses) I  couldn't call him the best crosser unless he sustained that form over a longer period.

You can't get much better crossing stats than he has but it's still just a glimmer of what he might be able to do.

well, can't argue with that ay?

Bannan has shown no world class anything ever in a villa shirt for the first team. With teh possible exception of the ball to Albrighton for that beautifull goal. The thing with world class though is it isn't a fluke, or just happen once. I've watched serie C football over here and seen some players with just astounding touch playing at centre back for nothing sides. Truly gifted technically, but slow as shit and inable to make a decent decision to save their lives. That's an extreme comparision as I don't dislike Bannan. You just make it very difficult to defend him rationally Con. Very difficult indeed.

I didn't ask you that.

Also irrelevant to the question I asked you.

So, simple answer. Are you now back tracking from your claim that he was the best crosser of the ball in the league last season?

• Like 1