Barry Bannan

villianusa

Football's a physical game so if you play in midfield at the top level you have to offer something physical unless you're really really good like Messi. Bannan offers zero physically apart from giving away pointless and dangerous free kicks.

You are making up statistics. This is the problem with the Bannan criticism. It's constructed out of thin air and innate bias against a player they don't understand.

Bannan didn't give away many "pointless and dangerous free kicks."

He committed only EIGHT fouls the entire season in 18 starts.

Only Jordan Bowery and Simon Dawkins had a lower fouls per game rate. http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

Unbelievable.

yawn-o.gif

Football's a physical game so if you play in midfield at the top level you have to offer something physical unless you're really really good like Messi. Bannan offers zero physically apart from giving away pointless and dangerous free kicks.

You are making up statistics. This is the problem with the Bannan criticism. It's constructed out of thin air and innate bias against a player they don't understand.

Only Jordan Bowery and Simon Dawkins had a lower fouls per game rate. http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

Unbelievable.

yawn-o.gif

Oh dear 1-0 Con.

Con, you keep banding out this stat that we win games with Bannan in the team despite being told again and again that it's almost meaningless.

Using that stat, Steve Sidwell is our greatest ever player. He has the highest win percentage.

The simple fact is, if Bannan was so good, why would so many managers pass up the chance to play him and him now be shipped out on the cheap.

I have nothing against Bannan. There are positives to his game. I've calmly and rationally explained what I think his weaknesses are before and I won't do it again because when I did, even though I was very complimentary about him in the same post, you jumped down my throat as if I'd insulted your family (which is possible...)

Needless to say, whilst I acknowledge his positives, it doesn't make him good enough for this football club and I'm not bothered to see him leaving.

The only thing I hate about Bannan is his existence has caused you to spout pages and pages of absolute and utter drivel. But as I've said before, I think there's more than enough evidence in this thread to conclude that you're winding people up on purpose, and you're very good at it.

And no, that's not because your opinion is different to mine before you use that cop out. It's because you post gifs of 3 yard passes and cite someone casually calling Bannan "the Scotttish Iniesta" 4 years ago as actual evidence for your ludicrous opinions

• Like 1

Only Jordan Bowery and Simon Dawkins had a lower fouls per game rate. http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

Unbelievable.

I think the problem is both ways as you are solely relying on some stats and not the whole picture.  There is no way if you have watched him on a regular basis could you say there is a world class player there could you? whether potential or now? a few long passes and some arguable criteria around some stats surely isn't sufficient for you to say he has potential to be world class.  

Surely if he was that good or had the potential to be that good somebody would've been trying to buy him, speculation would've happened from a big team but to date we have had several Villa managers that don't play him, even to the extent that he doesn't get on the bench and no real team of any note have made any moves for him.

I would really like to be on this bandwagon with you but I just can't see anything that you see in him and while the stats give a picture of one thing, watching those crosses live gives me a very different verdict of those crosses

The problem is he claims everybody else is biased against Bannan but then completely ignores any stats which paint Bannan in a negative light 

For example

1 assist all season from a player that in con's own words "dominates play with decisive passing"......

Con, you keep banding out this stat that we win games with Bannan in the team despite being told again and again that it's almost meaningless.

Using that stat, Steve Sidwell is our greatest ever player. He has the highest win percentage.

I responded to this. I use game starts. Sidwell's win % is based on his substitute appearances at the end of games when we needed to protect a lead. Cannot compare the two. Bannan is not used as a defensive substitution.

He's got talent. You don't get fellow professionals calling you the Scottish Iniesta for no reason.

not sure that helps him when he has performed same level for us as the Togolese Zidane or the White Cafu.

I responded to this. I use game starts. Sidwell's win % is based on his substitute appearances at the end of games when we needed to protect a lead. Cannot compare the two. Bannan is not used as a defensive substitution.

Ah, I see. So the stat that suits your argument is valid, but the one that doesn't support your argument is meaningless.

And WE'RE the biased ones  :rolleyes:

What will happen when Bannan leaves ? Will anyone continue the 348 page debate in Other Football ? :ph34r:

Hopefully it will evaporate along with his football career.

Apparently he applied for the kitchen assistant job advertised on the official site but got turned down because his low work rate and assist ratio would lead to the players not getting their toast on time

Edited by AshVilla

Only Jordan Bowery and Simon Dawkins had a lower fouls per game rate. http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

Unbelievable.

yawn-o.gif

Oh dear 1-0 Con.

question that needs asking how many tackles he made/attepmted

I don't think he's ever gonna give you tackling and physical presence. I don't think it's a necessity in midfield. If you're looking for that from Bannan, you don't understand the type of player he is, and you don't understand football.

I don't think he's ever gonna give you tackling and physical presence. I don't think it's a necessity in midfield. If you're looking for that from Bannan, you don't understand the type of player he is, and you don't understand football.

I don't think a single person thinks he will but then when you've got someone trying to praise him for not giving away fouls it is a relevant thing to question.

So far we've established Bannan doesn't tackle, doesn't have a physical presence, doesn't get assists and doesn't score goals. 

Doesn't seem to have much going for him really.

I don't think a single person thinks he will but then when you've got someone trying to praise him for not giving away fouls it is a relevant thing to question.

So far we've established Bannan doesn't tackle, doesn't have a physical presence, doesn't get assists and doesn't score goals.

I'm not backing Bannan, on his attacking record. I am pointing out that the statement that he gives away fouls was quite reasonably answered by Con. You can't come back then and say, 'ah yes but that's because he doesn't tackle' lol.

I'm not backing Bannan, on his attacking record. I am pointing out that the statement that he gives away fouls was quite reasonably answered by Con. You can't come back then and say, 'ah yes but that's because he doesn't tackle' lol.

The bottom line then is you don't back Bannans attacking play & you then state that he is never going to give you tackling & physical presence either?

Forgive me, but what type of player does that add upto then & what does he bring to the table then to justify selection?

As according to you I don't understand football or understand Bannan please enlighten us with your unparallelled footballing technical genius & appraisal as to what this magic ingredient & enigma is & what the rest of us alleged footballing ignoramuses are missing?

Edited by villa-revolution

Con has stated that Bannan would get more assists and goals if he wasn't a deep lying midfielder. What's the point in having a deep lying midfielder that can't tackle. The questioning of it is very relevant.

He doesn't defend and he doesn't assist and he doesn't score goals. Is Lambert wrong for playing him in a deep lying midfield position? Probably not because the formation worked very well when Bannan came out of the team. We were a lot stronger defensively, scored goals and more importantly won games. The weakness it would appear is Bannan in that position rather than the formation and Lambert gave him nearly 20 games to prove himself... unfortunately he didn't come close to doing that and can now leave on a free transfer.

Cant believe this shit is still going on.......

Bannan failed to live up to all the hype. Pretending otherwise is like thinking we had a successful season. 

Believe me. this shit is hilarious, jump on the bandwagon & join in the fun.....................Everyone :)