Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Can Liverpool even afford it? I know they made £50m from the Torres transfer but due to the purchases of Carroll and Suarez they effectively spent all that and then some. Then they bought Henderson for £20m. Can they really afford to splash out another £20+ on just one player?

No which makes me think we have another Barry situation ..Downing has been made aware they want him ,this is how much we will pay you ...

Except again they have forgotten the bit about agreeing a fee !!

I know it's disappointing these player's wanting to leave it's not just us.Spurs are having a similar situation with Modric and Sendro.Arsenal could lose both Fabragas and Nasri.Liverpool are spending big as they need to get back in the champs league ASAP or they will be the team being attacked by the champs league predators.

IF he does go then that money and the Young cash ,where that's spent will determine what our intentions are.Again using Spurs they lost good players Carrick ,Berbatov but reinvested in better.That's what we need to do.

Most importantly money needs to be invested in scouting as this is where we are seriously lacking !

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again obvious example is Tottenham,,.

They're starting to look like the club equivalent of Ferguson at Man U (i.e. the example that supposedly proves the rule).

Only because they are the only club who were of similar position and stature to ourselves within the Premier League who sold similar amount of key players for big money.

That I can think of anyway.

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Every club bar 1/2 is a selling club, it's what you do money.

If you simply spend less than all of the Downing money if he were to be sold, it'd say to me we are pretty content with not even improving, but spending all the Downing money and money on top, shows we still want to push forward.

Again obvious example is Tottenham, lost Berbatov, Keane, Carrick all within 2 years. 2 years after that, they were top 4.

No chance of us doing that IMO because of how competitive league has become but I think it's been shown, losing players is part of the game, it's how you then re-invest the money what matters.

We've sold Barry, Milner and Young within 2 years. We've also lost Friedel. Tottenham were happy to sell Berbatov for 30m, they want rid of Keane and I doubt they'll miss Carrick much seeing as they've got Modric who still hasn't been sold yet despite the fact he is miles better than all the players we've sold. Even with all those Spurs players missing, they've still got a rather solid squad that's miles better than ours and they're on lower wages.

Please tell me how McLeish will fill our void? It's not like his transfer record is anything to brag about and the fact we've told the whole world we're settling as a midtable team by appointing McLeish making us a less attractive option.

Honestly, I know we're fans and all that, but honestly can some of you think outside the box for once? Selling Downing would be a massive blow seeing as McLeish isn't any good in the transfer market so the money will either be wasted or Randy will pocket it himself for making up losses that was down to him due to being out of his depth finanically in terms of football.

Did they/were they?

Sounds even more like the Fergie nonsense comparison to me.

Did they/were they to what sorry??

Finished 5th, 2 points out Champions League places .....sold Carrick.

finished 5th again next season in 06-07

then 11th in 07-08, sold Keane and Berbatov that summer (08) (for £50 million)

then 8th in 08-09

then 4th in 09-10

then 5th in 10-11.

Again, it's the only comparison I use because simply I don't know any other club who sold 3 key players within 2 years who were of a similar position i.e. around CL places for majority of time, within the modern game also.

Fergie was 20 odd years ago and there have been plenty examples since where sticking with a manager has proven a poor decision and change good.

so it's not similar IMO.

PrideofBrum, what makes you believe McLeish will be good at filling the void? What's so marvellous about his transfer record? The kids won't do it for us. They're overrated to the extreme.

Just face the reality, Spurs are miles ahead of us right now. Not just in terms of quality or attractiveness, but the fact they have a lower wage bill as well. It took years of hard work. I doubt McLeish will do anything close for obvious reasons.

Did they/were they?

Seems like you fully understood what I meant as you had a whole load of 'analysis' to back up your claim.

There's any number of ways in disagreeing with your similarities but they're all likely to have you putting forward nonsense in support of your next/future claim.

Suffice to say that I think that your repeated 'but look at spurs' is nonsense diverting attention from actually looking at Villa.

We're not Spurs. Spurs is a different club. Man U is a different club.

No, don't ignore what one may glean from other clubs but that's as far as it ought to go.

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Every club bar 1/2 is a selling club, it's what you do money.

If you simply spend less than all of the Downing money if he were to be sold, it'd say to me we are pretty content with not even improving, but spending all the Downing money and money on top, shows we still want to push forward.

Again obvious example is Tottenham, lost Berbatov, Keane, Carrick all within 2 years. 2 years after that, they were top 4.

No chance of us doing that IMO because of how competitive league has become but I think it's been shown, losing players is part of the game, it's how you then re-invest the money what matters.

True, and the next 2 months will tell the tale in terms of Villa's ambition/lack of appeal. But when we are hemorrhaging our best players every season, there is no continuity, no unity, no confidence, fewer players will want to sign with us, and more players will want out. It's a slippery slope, and we're close to free fall.

Did they/were they?

Seems like you fully understood what I meant as you had a whole load of 'analysis' to back up your claim.

There's any number of ways in disagreeing with your similarities but they're all likely to have you putting forward nonsense in support of your next/future claim.

Suffice to say that I think that your repeated 'but look at spurs' is nonsense diverting attention from actually looking at Villa.

No, don't ignore what one may glean from other clubs but that's as far as it ought to go.

Okay. It's my belief that we coud re-invest the money from the sales of Ashley Young and Downing and still improve as a football club by spending money on the right players.

Unfortunately (to answer your post OnlyOne) I don't really see McLeish doing that because I can't see us improving under him generally but I don't believe selling means you're automatically going backwards. Selling and not spending does though.

By the way, I'm also not saying it guarentees you success or it will definitely work or anything like that but Spurs are a definite example of selling and buying wisely to improve the squad and further themselves.

You keep on quoting it as though it were an example of a guarantee of success.

It's an example of it not being a barrier to success.

That's a completely different kettle of fish.

That's not too difficult to understand, is it?

How is this a sign of intent? Do you honestly think that our board has suddenly become "content" with being midtable? I see no basis for that. What do you expect us to do about our best players wanting to leave?

Did they/were they?

Okay. It's my belief that we coud re-invest the money from the sales of Ashley Young and Downing and still improve as a football club by spending money on the right players.

Unfortunately (to answer your post OnlyOne) I don't really see McLeish doing that because I can't see us improving under him generally but I don't believe selling means you're automatically going backwards. Selling and not spending does though.

It wouldnt surprise me if we don't even replace AY let alone SD. What must Darren Bent be thinking. This is exactly what concerned me and most Villa fans when AMc was appointed. I wouldn't be surprised if DB put in a transfer request as well......Nothing would surprise me now. It is very hard to be optimisic when your best players want out...I don't begrudge AY his move...he deserved it. It makes me sick that SD feels that he doesn't owe Villa anything? Do I want a player like that at my club....NO!! Will we struggle without re-investing! Hell YES!! If SD wants to leave, then he can........but for no less than £25M......And ALL of that money HAS to be re-invested in new players. If not, we should be prepared to lose Darren Bent as well.

By the way, I'm also not saying it guarentees you success or it will definitely work or anything like that but Spurs are a definite example of selling and buying wisely to improve the squad and further themselves.

You keep on quoting it as though it were an example of a guarantee of success.

It's an example of it not being a barrier to success.

That's a completely different kettle of fish.

That's not too difficult to understand, is it?

I don't mean it to come across that way but when people say "if we lose 'player A' it will just show how much ambition this club/how far we are moving backwards" and I use the Spurs example as part of a reason as why selling players doesn't always mean failure.

I did say ...."shows we want to push forward" (before using Spurs as an example) the word want doesn't mean guarenteed.

just after the example I stated "it's how you re-invest the money what matters" ...again that doesn't say 'guarenteed success' ...it states an opinion that you can move forward if you spend right (Tottenham being an example) but you won't if you don't re-invest badly or not at all.

Did they/were they?

So...If McLeish doesn't buy a player who's on par (or better) than Young, you're saying we still wouldn't be going backwards? :|

Â