Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redman is right though.

How do we know he's staying at Villa?

He said he would but it's all gone quiet now. The exact same thing happened with Young. Young stated that he wanted a new contract, then about a month later, when questioned on it, he said he'll wait till the summer because he is 'focusing on his football'.

What if Downing uses the same excuses and says he wants to focus on his holiday?

WTF! First he said he would stay at Villa even if we got relegated, then he said he loved being at villa so why would he want to go anywhere else and wants to sign a new contract and now he's saying he's at a crossroads and doesn't want to sign a new contract.

He needs to remember who stuck by him through his long term injury (not that there is any loyalty in football nowadays as we all know)

Tapped up maybe?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9048541.Downing_in_England_fold_and_he_intends_to_stay/?

Read that interview. he basically says he's not signing a contract and wants Champions League football. Why did he have to lie about signing a new contract? :(

Did he say he was definitely going to sign new contract before? Or was just something he'd have to think about?

Pretty certain it was the latter

I wouldn't really expect him to sign another contract this minute.

Given the current precarious situation regarding management at moment.

Lets be honest it would be no massive suprise to see Downing go next summer like Ash will go this one and Milner before etc.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9048541.Downing_in_England_fold_and_he_intends_to_stay/?

Read that interview. he basically says he's not signing a contract and wants Champions League football. Why did he have to lie about signing a new contract? :(

Its hardly a surprise is it. I'm sure he came to Villa on the premise that we would be looking to break in to the top 4 and at the very least compete for Europa League places. For one season that happened but this season has been one of struggle for the most part. He sees that Ashley Young, one of our better players, who is of a similar age and like him approaching his peak years, is on his way out the door, sees a club that is umming and erring around what to do about the managerial situation, whilst I dare say at the same time via his agent he is being told there are a couple of suitors in a far better position than us ready to take him on. Most certainly Liverpool will be in for him over the next few weeks.

I said a couple of months ago I had a feeing Downing would be leaving the club alongside Ash over the summer and sadly I think that prediction will be correct.

We have perhaps become accustomed to losing one of our best players over the summer but to lose two of them would be a real kick in the bollocks and would not bode well when looking to attract the kind of quality to the club that we all hope for.

I said when he came out and said that he would love to stay at Villa that you shouldn't trust anything footballers say because in the end they'll do what's best for themselves and their career. It's just the way things work.

Now this latest quote that he doesn't want to sign a new contract just goes to show that. We really need to kick on in the summer and have good season if players like Downing and Bent are to stay here. We'll have a chance of keeping them if we finish in the top six but if we're going to be far away from the top four Downing at least will be gone.

If we have anything close to the season we just had then we'll just widen the gap between us and the top six clubs in the country even further. This season has certainly set us back but with the right people we can get back on track hopefully.

Its hardly a surprise is it. I'm sure he came to Villa on the premise that we would be looking to break in to the top 4 and at the very least compete for Europa League places. For one season that happened but this season has been one of struggle for the most part. He sees that Ashley Young, one of our better players, who is of a similar age and like him approaching his peak years, is on his way out the door, sees a club that is umming and erring around what to do about the managerial situation, whilst I dare say at the same time via his agent he is being told there are a couple of suitors in a far better position than us ready to take him on. Most certainly Liverpool will be in for him over the next few weeks.

I said a couple of months ago I had a feeing Downing would be leaving the club alongside Ash over the summer and sadly I think that prediction will be correct.

We have perhaps become accustomed to losing one of our best players over the summer but to lose two of them would be a real kick in the bollocks and would not bode well when looking to attract the kind of quality to the club that we all hope for.

I don't think there's any way the club would let Downing go THIS summer regardless.

Not with Ash going . That would be suicidal of the board - would just piss far too many ppl off.

I wouldn't be supsised to see Downing go next summer tho..

I wondered if Liverpool's Downing interest could be part of a wider strategy to leverage a deal for Young. I think our interest in both is genuine but I reckon we only want one of them. If we got Young, we'd probably bugger off.

You can look at it one of two ways.

You can take it as a sign that he's made his mind up and is off, either this season or next (we're unlikely to let it run to a scenario where he walks out on a free).

Or he wants more assurance that he can fulfil his ambitions here with us. In his first season we got closer to CL qualification than Liverpool. It's going to be a lot harder now, but the right managerial appointment and a few key signings we can put this total arse of a season behind us and look to compete again.

If we're not a whole lot better off in 12 months time, then I wouldn't blame him for wanting out. If his form is anything like the last season (rather than his first) he'll probably have better options than Liverpool anyroad.

Â