Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

FFS.

"It's a big thing, it's becoming trendy. It's a little niche, left-footed players on the right and vice-versa.

"He's equally as good on the other side. It's a big advantage.

"We looked at playing him in the centre. It's something we've spoken about. He's got a fantastic shot, so you could see us working on that in pre-season."

-GMac

In the Sun where they talk about him being offered a new deal. Regardless of how much of a **** ridiculous decision it would be to move another winger into the centre (he was poor there vs Blues/Wigan - i think it was one of them he was there for).

I guess this means we will almost definitely be getting atleast another winger in [unless they plan on playing all lopsided]

Play people in their proper position.

He's our only left-footed winger, so play him on the....LEFT WING!

It's not hard.

Stop trying to be fancy and trendy.

It doesn't work.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most teams in Europe play inverted wingers now.

It's been working too, well for Downing anyway. The other side doesn't seem as productive.

I think it makes our play too narrow and predictable.

Most teams in Europe play inverted wingers now.

It's been working too, well for Downing anyway. The other side doesn't seem as productive.

I think it makes our play too narrow and predictable.

I agree with you there it does make play a bit more narrow, but I feel we need better central midfielders to sort that problem.

I thought he was terrible!

agreed, he just doesn't have the quality or football brain that young has i think

He's been better than Ashley Young this season.

Who cares anyway, Ethan Moore is much better than both of them, he's superb and amazing for his age. He'd be on the fringes of the first team had we not stupidly let him go. We should sign him back up in the summer.

Great news about the contract we need to sign him up asap. He played well there against City. He has the skill, passing and vision to do it although he is a touch lighweight. Give him the cover and he would do well though. I've been saying all season thats he would be better in the hole than Young, i truely believe it. SCG i have to disagree, its Downing who has superior talent and footballing brain. Just not sure if we should lose our best winger, unless maybe we sign N'Zogbia. How did he play today and why did he go off?

He could probably play in the hole but I don't wanna waste his left foot.

It good to have a natural left-footed player on the left to give you natural width.

agreed, he just doesn't have the quality or football brain that young has i think

Who cares anyway, Ethan Moore is much better than both of them, he's superb and amazing for his age. He'd be on the fringes of the first team had we not stupidly let him go. We should sign him back up in the summer.

:D you just can't help yourself, can you? it's really childish

Disapointed me today. When he is marked, he stands there, he doesn't look to get into space, he just resigns himself to the fact that he is not going to get the ball. Secondly, whats with the cutting onto his right foot when on the left wing. He had a few chances to cross from good positions and instead was too greedy.

:D you just can't help yourself, can you? it's really childish

So is constantly posting bollocks.

I can't believe the crap that Downing gets he was our best player today slightly ahead of NRC (although there wasn't much competition tbh) , without him we'd have really really be in the shit this season.

Our best player? Are you kidding me what did Downing do of note today that makes him MOM. Young wins the free kick, scores it puts Bent through, our best attacking outlet today was Young and by some distant. Cannot remember Downing doing anything.

Disapointed me today. When he is marked, he stands there, he doesn't look to get into space, he just resigns himself to the fact that he is not going to get the ball.

All of our players are like that.. during set pieces too, you'd think they'd try and find space and move away from their marker.

Our best player? Are you kidding me what did Downing do of note today that makes him MOM. Young wins the free kick, scores it puts Bent through, our best attacking outlet today was Young and by some distant. Cannot remember Downing doing anything.

Downing was by far and away our best attacking player and was alongside NRC for our MOTM. He has been consistently there on VT ratings and most other forums throughout this season.

Young was better than of late when he was out wide but was crap again when in the hole with the exception of the one through ball to Bent for his one on one.

What did Downing create of any note to make him our biggest attacking threat? God knows how he was rated MOM because he did sweet FA. NRC was MOTM by a clear distance but no way would i say Downing was behind him as he did nothing, didn't take on his full-back. Like i said Downing struggles at home, when teams sit back and as a midfield duo is static as they come all creativity is left to two players.

What did Downing create of any note to make him our biggest attacking threat? God knows how he was rated MOM because he did sweet FA. NRC was MOTM by a clear distance but no way would i say Downing was behind him as he did nothing, didn't take on his full-back. Like i said Downing struggles at home, when teams sit back and as a midfield duo is static as they come all creativity is left to two players.

One player. Young can't create to save his life. He can create space for others to create in extremely well, just he himself doesn't possess the vision and passing ability to take advantage of it. Downing is the only one who can.

Â