Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least if Young leaves, then Downing will get to play in his rightful position on the left wing (hopefully)

I think this is a rather old-fashioned outlook. In the modern game you see that the very best wingers tend to be those that cut inside on the full-back's weaker foot. It's evident by a certain Lionel Messi, who has just scored his fiftieth goal of the season coincidentally.

Can see where you're coming from, but I think Downing is very much suited to the right, likewise with Ashley on the left (at least Ash has been in the past).

At least if Young leaves, then Downing will get to play in his rightful position on the left wing (hopefully)

I think this is a rather old-fashioned outlook. In the modern game you see that the very best wingers tend to be those that cut inside on the full-back's weaker foot. It's evident by a certain Lionel Messi, who has just scored his fiftieth goal of the season coincidentally.

).

Plays central, that's why. :winkold:

A lot of big clubs will have their beady eyes on Downing this summer. I hope we get a new manager in soon, and make another statement-of-intent purchase a-la Darren Bent. Otherwise we'll be looking and feeling like a club on the slide, which is not where Downing will want to be.

A lot of big clubs will have their beady eyes on Downing this summer. I hope we get a new manager in soon, and make another statement-of-intent purchase a-la Darren Bent. Otherwise we'll be looking and feeling like a club on the slide, which is not where Downing will want to be.

I'm sure Bent would have been given assurances of our ambition or he wouldn't have signed.

We can't afford to lose Downing and Young. The only reason I think we will still be fine without Young is because of Albrighton. Marc is ready for the Premier League and that money we get from Young and help us on defense and maybe purchase a CM to play with Makoun. This will be one hell of a summer for villa fans.

We can't afford to lose Downing and Young. The only reason I think we will still be fine without Young is because of Albrighton. Marc is ready for the Premier League and that money we get from Young and help us on defense and maybe purchase a CM to play with Makoun. This will be one hell of a summer for villa fans.

We certainly can't afford to lose Downing and Young. Assuming Young goes, we will need to show some ambition or Downing will want to be next out the door I suspect.

It will certainly be a hell of a summer for us. Hopefully it's not a HELL of a summer.

Unless we sign a really attacking left back ;)

But then Downing on the left wouldn't work because you want someone opening up the space for the left back, Downing hugs touchline on the left, cuts inside on the right. :winkold:

Downing and Walker on the Right

Baines and Young on the Left.

Dream solution ;)

I agree, but Downing is good on the left I think a 4-3-2-1 should be our formation next year, with the 2 being 'roaming' wingers a la Young+Downing for England, practically a 4-3-3 just 2 forwards swapping just behind the striker.

I know our wingers swap already but they seem to do it at about 25 and 65 minutes, its a set thing or a touchline instruction could really be effective if they could organise it themselves and swap and change and be effective at it - or was organised by a captain, whether the wingers get to byline and cross or cut-in could be a game changer at some times (as we saw with Albrighton vs Chelsea and many other occasions i cant recall)

-------------Keeper-------------

------------CD----CD------------

Wingback-------------Wingback

---------------DM----------------

-----------AM----PlMkr----------

---Wng-------------------Wng---

----------------CF----------------

OffTopic: If we can get the Keeper, CD's and DM right (so they are solid) we'd have a brilliant force going forward imo moulding into a

-------------Keeper-------------

------------CD----CD------------

---------------DM----------------

--------------PlMkr--------------

Wingback-------------Wingback

----------------AM---------------

------Wng-------CF-----Wng----

on the attack. Ooft. *

*The above may be an exageration.

Everything hinges on a)the new manager B) the defence we buy c) Youngs replacement

If we sign a really attacking right back, he's better on the right, as well as it being better for the team.

I'd say Downing has played better in the last month or two than at any point in his Villa career and he's been on the right wing.

Think back to that great counter-attacking goal vs Man U when Downing crossed from the left to Super Marc on the right who put it away.

We had a real lack of width on the left flank against Stoke with the two right-footed Youngs playing there.

If only we'd swapped Downing and Young then this problem could have been easily solved.

For me, Downing is not comfortable on his weaker side and looks to come inside at every opportunity making him predictable and making us play too narrow.

Downing on the left, Young or Albrighton on the right - that's the way we should be setting up imo.

Yes he is too predictable on the right, but his pairing with Walker is fantastic on the attack because they dont know whether Downing will cut in or overlap with Walker who will then surge down the flank and cross, or down the flank and then into the box like he did vs West Ham and put in a pass.

Downing and Walkers partnership is great on the attack I hope we can find an equally potent threat on the left next season

Perhaps predictable but It allows Walker to fly forward on the overlap and not every winger does their proper duty so it gives us 2 on 1 situations, we saw that a lot against West Ham and Blackpool. Maybe perhaps when we play someone like Stoke, when their wingers first job is indeed to defend and protect their full backs, that's when we can get the wingers to hug touchline and instead let full backs drive infield or sit back and support behind.

I do think he's added variation to his game though, his cross vs West Ham for Bent's disallowed goal, althugh left footed, he didn't really cut infield, it was more just running at the defender and producing a cross. His cross with his right for Heskey's goal vs Chelsea.....driving into the box and picking out Bent for goal vs Everton. Plenty of different type of assists from the right.

It can depend on what type of full back we have I guess. If you have a very attacking right back, it'd be good too have 3 left footers. (one keeping width left, one cutting inside from right)...with the right also getting forward.

Downing and Walker on the Right

Baines and Young on the Left.

:shock:

Now that would be sexy.

Completely agree but only if we have two competent CBs with at least one of them being nimble and comfortable on the ball with a tall strong DM to help out when they get forward.

KYLE Walker has tipped Stewart Downing to be named Villa’s player-of-the-season after insisting the winger “sets the bar” for his team-mates.

Walker has formed an impressive partnership with Downing down Villa’s right flank since arriving on loan from Tottenham in January.

It has coincided with some brilliant performances from inverse winger Downing – a left-footer playing on his opposite flank – who has linked up well with Walker.

The young Spurs defender reckons Downing’s natural compulsion to cut in from the right on to his stronger foot opens up space for his over-lapping runs.

Walker has credited Downing for helping him to settle in to Premier League action by always making himself available for a simple pass.

Asked who would get his vote for Villa’s star of the season, Walker replied: “Stewart Downing for me. I was talking about it with Gabby Agbonlahor.

“Since I came I’ve seen a massive difference with Stewart, comparing him from then to now.

“It’s great for me him being on my side of the pitch and sometimes I can just give him the ball and I don’t even have to think.

“I just pass him the ball and you know he’s going to carry it. Not many players can take it off him lately.

“I think all he needs to do now is get a few goals.

“It helps me out because he can drift inside, which creates the space for me to run forward. I can’t think of many better.”

Downing has been vastly improved this season after struggling to get going last term following a long lay-off with a fractured foot.

And Walker insists the former Middlesbrough wideman’s improvement is thoroughly deserved given the work he puts in in training.

The Spurs youngster says Downing is one of the first and last players on the Bodymoor Heath practice pitches each day and tries to hone all areas of his game

“He does work on everything, he works on his crossing and his shooting,” Walker added.

“For me he’s someone to look up to – even though he’s not much older than me he’s still a good role model.

“He sets the bar for everyone. In the first ten minutes if he’s having a good game, people want to rise to that challenge and have a good game as well with him. It’s good.”

Birmingham mail

Â