Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Bentley wouldnt fit into the centre if Milner was here would he?

If we played 3 across the middle in a 4-3-3, i wouldnt have Bentley with Milner and Petrov, wed have no ballwinner in their.

If Bentley playd in a 4-4-2, id wouldnt fancy him in our system, wed have no ballwinner again. Wed have quality on the ball in all postions, but that wouldnt be enough. I think

Claret - First of all Bentley can tackle, not a holding player but he can tackle., as does Milner. Second I agree with your synopsis to a point and see another holding player coming this summer, replacement for Petrov or not.

How's £10m and Bentley for Ash Young sound? (maybe not £10m but close)

I know Bentley can tackle, but hes not a particularly good tackler and not someone id trust with a holding midfielders job.

Theres no way id want Bentley plus £10m for Young. I still think Youngs our best player, if we lost him things may fall apart.

I wasnt suggesting Bentley for the holding role.

I think Milner is our best player and others 'may' have to be sacrificed to keep him.

But Bentley wouldnt fit into the centre if Milner was here would he?

If we played 3 across the middle in a 4-3-3, i wouldnt have Bentley with Milner and Petrov, wed have no ballwinner in their.

If Bentley playd in a 4-4-2, id wouldnt fancy him in our system, wed have no ballwinner again. Wed have quality on the ball in all postions, but that wouldnt be enough. I think

Claret - First of all Bentley can tackle, not a holding player but he can tackle., as does Milner. Second I agree with your synopsis to a point and see another holding player coming this summer, replacement for Petrov or not.

How's £10m and Bentley for Ash Young sound? (maybe not £10m but close)

I know Bentley can tackle, but hes not a particularly good tackler and not someone id trust with a holding midfielders job.

Theres no way id want Bentley plus £10m for Young. I still think Youngs our best player, if we lost him things may fall apart.

I wasnt suggesting Bentley for the holding role.

I think Milner is our best player and others 'may' have to be sacrificed to keep him.

Where would you play Bentley?

I think Milners been our best player this year, but i'll say hes our best player when hes done what Young has done for us over 2 or 3 seasons.

If we're talking about losing one player this close season, for big money, please let it be Young and not Milner. I honestly think we could cope much easier without Young than we could Milner. Young has been the most disappointing player of the season - not because he was that bad but because he looked a shadow of the player we know he can be - and there were times where he should have been dropped. If we could get Bentley, with Albrighton as back up, then we can let Downing settle in his preferred position and use the extra money for another squad player.

If we lose Milner, we just wont replace him with the same quality and that's when the sale of our two most talented midfielders in consecutive summers will really begin to hurt us.

I think Milners been our best player this year, but i'll say hes our best player when hes done what Young has done for us over 2 or 3 seasons.

Thats not easy to answer while the variables are still to be made apparent.

A contingency plan in case anyone stumps up silly money for Milner must be in place. Bentley can play wide or in the middle and this makes him an attractive purchase. He could also be the sought of restoration project MON may like.

To throw my predictions in to the mix of players I think we could get and I think MON would know about and be interested in:

McGeady

O'Hara

Bentley

Keane

Ireland

Beckford

Just trying to be realistic and reflect on MON's previous buying patterns.

A contingency plan in case anyone stumps up silly money for Milner must be in place. Bentley can play wide or in the middle and this makes him an attractive purchase. He could also be the sought of restoration project MON may like.

If Milner went, I wouldnt be against signing Bentley, but if he stayed and say we had £20m net spend this year, i wouldnt go anywhere near Bentley as wed need a CF, a DCM and probably a full back before Bentley.

Like you say, there are a lot of variables to consider though :)

Joao Mountinho please Martin. Then raid Schalke with the change and pick up Farfan and Rafinha :P

Moutinho and Soldado. Hubba hubba. Mission accomplished.

If Milner went, I wouldnt be against signing Bentley, but if he stayed and say we had £20m net spend this year, i wouldnt go anywhere near Bentley as wed need a CF, a DCM and probably a full back before Bentley.

I agree largely with that position depending on money.

I'm a firm believer that to keep Milner we have to show him we mean business. In that I mean same calibre purchases.

This article is caustic to start with but goes on to be quite accurate.

Mail Online

Soldado from Getafe? *drools*

The very same. Not playing for a CL team, playing for a small side and I think gettable. Problem is he's likely to be courted by a lot of Spanish sides. Particularly Valencia who've just lost a certain striker - that's if they can convince the debt collector not to pocket the entire €40m.

I agree largely with that position depending on money.

I'm a firm believer that to keep Milner we have to show him we mean business. In that I mean same calibre purchases.

This article is caustic to start with but goes on to be quite accurate.

Mail Online

Keeping him would be a whole lot easier if we had money to spend.

I dont see Milner going to Man City if MONs told him we're bringing in the standard of player that will push on into 4th, but that doesnt seem to be the case does it.

Id hate Milner to go, but £30m plus wouldnt be bad business.

So £20m turned down but City will come back probably at £25m which would be hard to say no too

We could redirect that money to Spurs for Bentley/Keane/O'Hara

Sounds good business to me

Joao Mountinho please Martin.

Sorry, but did you see him against Everton?

Got taken off at Goodison. He is captain. He wasn't injured either. Such a poor poor performance from someone that has such a big reputation. Plays in a poor league where they have two competitive teams.

Got taken off at Goodison. He is captain. He wasn't injured either. Such a poor poor performance from someone that has such a big reputation. Plays in a poor league where they have two competitive teams.

Is that the only game you have seen him in? The guy is immense. One poor performance doesn't mean the player is automatically a bad buy.

So £20m turned down but City will come back probably at £25m which would be hard to say no too

We could redirect that money to Spurs for Bentley/Keane/O'Hara

Sounds good business to me

Sounds like a massive drop in quality to me.

Is that the only game you have seen him in? The guy is immense. One poor performance doesn't mean the player is automatically a bad buy.

No. I've seen him in others games. I'll admit, not many. What games have you seen him play in?

Yes, i know, one bad game doesn't make a bad player...You tell that to all the Curtis 'The Pub Player' Davies who had one bad game!

He was in one of the legs of the 12-1 aggregate drubbing by Bayern wasn't he?