1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • UKIP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not Voting
    • The Party for the reintroduction of the European Beaver

If Greece and Spain weren't part of the EU they could have devalued their currency which would have drove demand on their exports and stimulated growth

Which might have driven demand on their exports.

Currency devaluation does not automatically mean that; amongst other things, it depends very much with whom one's exports are competing, the economic situation in those areas where there is demand for one's exports and how exporters price their goods in those foreign markets.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't the North Of England be removed from the south in a political sense. We don't want the Tories in up here.
Which in a way points back to thedon's post on EU countries economies moving at different paces and a need for different policies. Scotland, Wales, northern England and the south all have different requirements but are governed as one.

It's just an economic union that’s passed its sell-by date
It's true tho, it really is.

Labour received a big blow from the Guardian newspaper today .The broadsheet, traditional a Labour-backer, said it was switching allegiance to the Lib Dems.

The Times, which has supported Labour for 18 years, said it was switching to the Conservatives.

for some reason I thought the Times was always a Tory paper and The Guardian was always Lib dem anyway ?

Labour received a big blow from the Guardian newspaper today .The broadsheet, traditional a Labour-backer, said it was switching allegiance to the Lib Dems.

The Times, which has supported Labour for 18 years, said it was switching to the Conservatives.

for some reason I thought the Times was always a Tory paper and The Guardian was always Lib dem anyway ?

A few more papers that Ian cannot read ;)

And we don't want you milk stealing, Thatcher loving, dirty southerners up here

:-)

maybe Cleggs M1 immigration patrol will have a use after all :-)

:lol: Do you still wear top hats and stroke a cane around your feet down there? Us farmers up here want to know :lol:

I don't think the times every 'really' supported labour, reading the paper you definitely wouldn't think so. They might have supported some of the blue labour policies, but then again, so did "Dave".

I thought someone posted, in the last couple of week, a table of the respective party newspapers had come out for in each election.

Strikes me as a free press perhaps none of them should support a particular political party...like other media outlets surely they have a duty to remain neutral?

Maybe idealistic... and has been going on for donkey's years but still, it means that you're a tad bit more confident that news they report whichever party gets in going forward, isn't filtered and manipulated to suit their stance.

I'll get mi coat..........

I thought someone posted, in the last couple of week, a table of the respective party newspapers had come out for in each election.

well if it was you , then I somehow missed it :-)

and stroke a cane

never heard it called that before ...

Strikes me as a free press perhaps none of them should support a particular political party...like other media outlets surely they have a duty to remain neutral?

Maybe idealistic... and has been going on for donkey's years but still, it means that you're a tad bit more confident that news they report whichever party gets in going forward, isn't filtered and manipulated to suit their stance.

A free press does not mean a neutral press, Julie.

well if it was you , then I somehow missed it :-)

Ooh, below the belt, monsieur. :P

And, no it wasn't me. Someone else found it from somewhere (I think it was drat, though I may be wrong on that).

I've done a search and couldn't find it (wrong parameters no doubt) but I really can't be arsed, at the moment, to trawl through all the threads to look for it. I'm a lazy bastard - hang me for it. :winkold:

A "free" press should be allowed to support whoever they wish.

Though there need to be safeguards to ensure that such influence is not abused.

For instance when rupert bought the times he promised it would retain editorial independence. lol. And of course cross-ownership legislation prevented newspaper owners owning more than 20% of a TV company, so when rupert's sky consumed BSB (remember the squarial), maggie blocked the takeover and rupert's dream of controlling the british media and directing the way the british people think was strangled at birth.

I appreciate this, of course, but we'd be horrified if Sky News came out & said.. we support the XXXXX party, so why is it OK for newspapers?

Flip who misses Father Ted? Used to make mi laff.

I appreciate this, of course, but we'd be horrified if Sky News came out & said.. we support the XXXXX party

No - they just run BluGov polls telling YOU whom YOU support. Much more subtle that way.

^That (the Father Ted pic) would be an argument about the benefit of recycling, wouldn't it?

BTW, what was this stuff that Gordo was going on about in his interview with Paxman, that he thought the Rochdale granny was 'talking about expelling all university students in this country who were foreigners'.

I appreciate this, of course, but we'd be horrified if Sky News came out & said.. we support the XXXXX party

No - they just run BluGov polls telling YOU whom YOU support. Much more subtle that way.

Indeed - Jeffrey's 'friend'.

Shakespeare - always good for a bit of a 'tale'. :D

You do have a point. It's a shame the news we hear & read can't be more impartial.

I was sniggering in the car listening to 5Live driving, live from Rochdale the day after "Bigotted woman" and there was a guy going spare, who had been there..... saying that ALL the reporters at the scene after Gordon Brown's comments came out, were desperately hunting any members of the public who were disgusted with his comments.. Anyone from Rochdale,who said they felt the slightest bit of sympathy for the PM were dismissed and anyone who had a negative viewpoint to report were literally seized upon by a media scrum. He was quite anamated about it all.

He said he was absolutely disgusted because they were having to interview loads of people in order to get the responses they required to fulfill the headlines.