Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Not much longer I don't think. excellent innings from Ballance. still have reservations about him at 3 but anybody who averages over 50 in first class cricket has to be a very good player.

Great innings from Ballance, I just think England have batted too long and should have been more aggressive and declared a bit earlier to have a bowl at the Sri Lankan's tonight.

Great innings from Ballance, I just think England have batted too long and should have been more aggressive and declared a bit earlier to have a bowl at the Sri Lankan's tonight.

Not Cook's way is it but I agree but it will do Ballance a lot of good to make his first test hundred in only his second match. I think he's going to have a long and successful test career but I see him as a number 5. Problem is Root has not had much success at 3. We could win this still. 

Nice knock from Ballance, good to see him make his first test ton. Was also impressed with the way Jordan batted. Mature innings, when we just needed to steady the ship. We've got enough not to lose now, surely we won't bat in the morning? Wouldn't surprise me mind.

Yep, overnight declaration then see if we can take some early wickets, can't see us taking 10 in a day though.

If we'd left them 320 or less to chase at least they'd have had a go at it, not sure they'll bother going for the win now unless we bowl like shit in the morning and they race to a hundred

Not sure if this is relevant but following the final Sri Lanka ODi match at Edgbaston  my friends and I went out on broad street and meet both Joe Root and Gary Ballance in walkabout having a great time. When we told them we were at the game and had been the ones giving them some chat on the boundary (especially Ballance) they invited us into join them and proceeded to spend a ridiculous amount of money on vodka and champagne. Later in the early hours of the morning they left, both accompanied by two of my female friends for some 'fun'.... needless to say whatever happened in their hotel rooms has obviously worked wonders for their batting form!

Edited by Gillz
  • Like 3

Not sure if this is relevant but following the final Sri Lanka ODi match at Edgbaston  my friends and I went out on broad street and meet both Joe Root and Gary Ballance in walkabout having a great time. When we told them we were at the game and had been the ones giving them some chat on the boundary (especially Ballance) they invited us into join them and proceeded to spend a ridiculous amount of money on vodka and champagne. Later in the early hours of the morning they left, both accompanied by two of my female friends for some 'fun'.... needless to say whatever happened in their hotel rooms has obviously worked wonders for their batting form!

No sign of David Warner then?

No sign of David Warner then?

Alas no, and by all accounts Root seems to of had a much better experience at walkabout this second time round! 

Yes just sorry I'm not there to see Jim. 

He's done well to come back from a serious back problem and had surgery in January. Must admit I didn't think he would. 

Edited by PaulC

disagree. The batting collapse put paid to the declaration last night. By the time Ballance got his century the score total was only just about where you'd comfortably be declaring going into a final day. 

Yes I think you need a least 350 runs lead to feel comfortable going into the final day. Don't know when they got to that point but I guess the Ballance 100 was a factor. Atherton was never forgiven for declaring when Hick was 98 no I think.

It was so marginal, there was no point denying the morale boost to one player. If anything, blame the slow over rates, despite the full days with no weather breaks, they were about 2-3 hours worth of play down on overs across the 5 day I think!

Â