Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

They have this new thing now called the internet and you can store all your stuff on that.

I have the 8GB and it's more than enough (same as my N7). My music lives in Google Music with a few current favourites stored locally for when I'm out of coverage. Although I mainly listen to podcasts.

I'm fully aware of this "Internet". Storing things in a cloud and potentially not having them instantly accessible, say if I'm on a train with patchy signal, doesn't really cut it for me. Cloud storage = back up.

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm hardly ever without 3G. In the times where I don't have 3G such as in remote locations on holiday or something I will already have 'made available offline' any movies or music I need in preparation.

For any other unplanned trips to places I don't have good signal then I can't listen to music I don't already have on the device. It's honestly never caused me any bother.

They have this new thing now called the internet and you can store all your stuff on that.

I have the 8GB and it's more than enough (same as my N7). My music lives in Google Music with a few current favourites stored locally for when I'm out of coverage. Although I mainly listen to podcasts.

I'm fully aware of this "Internet". Storing things in a cloud and potentially not having them instantly accessible, say if I'm on a train with patchy signal, doesn't really cut it for me. Cloud storage = back up.

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm hardly ever without 3G. 

I'm with T-Mobile and I tend to run around doing football celebrations when I'm getting 3G because it's so **** rare!

Anyway I'm in DDID's boat. I'd have to have the storage on the device at this point.

I know that this isn't really applicable to the UK population, but the new version of the Sirius XM app is **** amazing, now that they've added the station customization features. It's also a hell of a lot better stream quality in terms of handling poor connectivity than any other streaming app I've tried (basically instead of being a continuous stream, it downloads 30 second chunks and adjusts the bitrate to fit data conditions, so the stream will keep going unless you have no data service for 30 seconds).

I'm with T-Mobile and I tend to run around doing football celebrations when I'm getting 3G because it's so **** rare!

Anyway I'm in DDID's boat. I'd have to have the storage on the device at this point.

I'm on the same network then (EE) and I often have issues when I'm travelling cross country. It SAYS it has a 3G connection, it always SAYS that. But as you well know, that means absolutely nothing. The way your phone convey's it's connection to you is completely irrelevant to what you actually experience. 

OK, so I only travel cross country say once a month. But you know, that's when I want my entertainment device most. And if I'm buying something with such a nice big screen, I want to be able to use that, without suffering because of a flakey connection or having to plan in advance by spending precious life minutes moving things to and from a cloud based storage system, which I still neither understand fully nor trust completely. Yes I could buy a tablet too and I probably will, but that's entirely besides the point. 

You know, just give me 32gb on my phone. That's all I want. No fuss, no having to "choose". I'll still use your **** cloud because I believe in backing my shit up. 

I'd get a Nexus 4 if there was more storage, the Cloud storage doesn't work for me either as I spend a lot of time in an area with shit signal and little Wifi (just have a read about the Isle of Wight, hardly any 3g coverage, even less Edge.. awful) and so Cloud storage doesn't work too well for me.

(Although my journey to and from work,I hop on different wifi networks, that journey is about 12 minutes and cuts in and out)

I'm on the same network then (EE) and I often have issues when I'm travelling cross country. It SAYS it has a 3G connection, it always SAYS that. But as you well know, that means absolutely nothing. The way your phone convey's it's connection to you is completely irrelevant to what you actually experience. 

OK, so I only travel cross country say once a month. But you know, that's when I want my entertainment device most. And if I'm buying something with such a nice big screen, I want to be able to use that, without suffering because of a flakey connection or having to plan in advance by spending precious life minutes moving things to and from a cloud based storage system, which I still neither understand fully nor trust completely. Yes I could buy a tablet too and I probably will, but that's entirely besides the point. 

You know, just give me 32gb on my phone. That's all I want. No fuss, no having to "choose". I'll still use your **** cloud because I believe in backing my shit up. 

MIne doesn't even say I've got 3G.

I get it at home. not very strong but I get it. But obviously I don't need it at home.

Everywhere else it's pretty rare. I don't need i very often to be honest. At work is where I'd like to have it the most.

Got given a Nexus 7 today. Gunna put the Paranoid Android ROM on it, does anyone use it?

What does PA do that stock doesn't?

I used to use custom ROMs all the time but the stock Google builds are enough for me these days.

Really in need of a new phone. Had the Xperia x10 mini as soon as it came out and then got a blackberry curve six months later.

Refuse to go back to Blackberry and i was seriously considering the iPhone 5.

But i got told that the new samsung is even better so i had my mind set on that. All of a sudden i come on here to know that the price is **** ridiculous. 400 quid up front then 31 quid a month. Of course i have got the money and i knew it would cost a lot but jheez...

So yeah now i'm stuck ahaa. Ermm considering the nexus but it sounds pretty poor compared tbh.

Really in need of a new phone. Had the Xperia x10 mini as soon as it came out and then got a blackberry curve six months later.

But i got told that the new samsung is even better so i had my mind set on that. All of a sudden i come on here to know that the price is **** ridiculous. 400 quid up front then 31 quid a month. Of course i have got the money and i knew it would cost a lot but jheez...

So yeah now i'm stuck ahaa. Ermm considering the nexus but it sounds pretty poor compared tbh.

If you're paying 400 up front and 31 a month you're getting seriously ripped off (was that with O2 by any chance)?

Go on USwitch and search for the best deal.

My Samsung Galaxy S3 was/is £26 a month with nothing up front, so even if you're on about the S4 I wouldn't expect you to have to pay much more than that.

Edit: Oh and the Nexus 4 isn't poor. If I was buying a phone right now that would be high on my list, if not number 1.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

If you're paying 400 up front and 31 a month you're getting seriously ripped off (was that with O2 by any chance)?

Go on USwitch and search for the best deal.

My Samsung Galaxy S3 was/is £26 a month with nothing up front, so even if you're on about the S4 I wouldn't expect you to have to pay much more than that.

Edit: Oh and the Nexus 4 isn't poor. If I was buying a phone right now that would be high on my list, if not number 1.

I didn't quote it ! lmao it was some person two pages back or so <<

And hmm cheers i'll defo check that out right now.

Dunno where they were looking, sounds like a rip off anyway! haha

Yeah look on USwitch. It seems to show a fair few deals that don't show up on the usual pages. Like mine is with T Mobile but I couldn't find the same deal on TMobile's actual website.

Definitely worth a look.

Ermm considering the nexus but it sounds pretty poor compared tbh.

Compared to what?  If I were in the market for a phone today, the Nexus 4 is still the one I would buy for reasons I have stated in this thread on at least a dozen occasions.  It's Android as designed by Google before other manufacturers put their bloatware skins on it. It will also get updates first, usually months before other "big" Android phones get them.  I'm still willing to bet that my Nexus 4 gets Android 5.0 (or whatever number Key Lime Pie will be) before the Galaxy S4 gets it, and the Galaxy S4 isnt even out yet. 

And the longer I have my S3, the more the bloatware annoys me.

Samsung keep adding more and more stuff that irks me.

Like recently, I discovered that if I reboot my phone, even though I have Swiftkey set as my default, my keyboard will revert back to Samsung's own as the default. That didn't use to happen.

And the really annoying mobile bookmarks thing I've mentioned before.

• Like 1

And the longer I have my S3, the more the bloatware annoys me.

Samsung keep adding more and more stuff that irks me.

Like recently, I discovered that if I reboot my phone, even though I have Swiftkey set as my default, my keyboard will revert back to Samsung's own as the default. That didn't use to happen.

And the really annoying mobile bookmarks thing I've mentioned before.

**** THIS.

And the "PUSH" Service that constantly tries to update.

****. OFF.

I'd have an N4 in a heartbeat and my next phone WILL be a Nexus.

Yeah what the **** is that push service thing?

If that sort of stuff was on there and you could delete it, I woudln't mind. But the fact that you can't even delete it pisses me off.

It's like it's trying to irritate you into using it.

Hmm i thought compared to the Galaxy S4 tbh ^

Asked a number of people and had a good look round. It looks very impressive. Dont know ALOT about phones especially compared to most people in here ahaa but i know quite a bit.

Also thanks alot stevo ! That websites great serious consideration in ordering it now haha :thumb:

But hmm when was the nexus out btw ? i heard galaxy S4 is around the 14th of April ?

Â