Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I backed up all my details over the weekend, did a factory reset and then loaded my contacts/etc back onto the phone.

So far, the texting has actually been okay, but my phone still overheats quite a bit and, a few times in the past few days, it has just frozen completely.

I might give Samsung/O2 a call if it persists.

I have been getting this on and off for a long time. It really annoys me to pull my phone out of my pocket to find the screen off and unable to turn it back on again without taking the battery out and back in again. I'm going to give O2 a call I think as it doesn't appear to be a rogue application as I factory reset with no market apps and it still does it.

Not sure where I stand on this though to be honest. Puts me off getting another Samsung, will probably get nexus next time.

Not sure where I stand on this though to be honest. Puts me off getting another Samsung, will probably get nexus next time.

Have you heard that someone different will be making the next Nexus then?

But mykeyb the reason I'm ok with the limited storage on the nexus is because of having 50gb dropbox. Also I always play my music from my phone and not a tablet or even laptop or pc. So when the 16gb is almost totally for video and my use of it as an on the couch Internet browser or short trip media device it's perfect. The batterylife is so good you would wouldn't need to charge it until you came back.

I fly back to Dublin on the 17th for the weekend. My ultrabook will stay in London and my nexus 7 comes with me.

You mulling over buying one?

Just remind me what did you say about your Transformer which was built by Asus

I remember well, and was about to mention that. It was certainly the biggest pile of junk I've ever owned.

But with the benefit of hindsight that was more to do with first gen, first attempt android tablets, which were rushed out and were gash across the board. Also the transformer while seemingly a great idea, is awful in use as the whole device is top heavy, all the weight is in the tablet ie the screen.

Anyway, the latest transformer is the best android rival there is for the iPad. The new Galaxy Tab 10.1 has gotten poor reviews, and aside from Samsung and Asus there's little else.

I backed up all my details over the weekend, did a factory reset and then loaded my contacts/etc back onto the phone.

So far, the texting has actually been okay, but my phone still overheats quite a bit and, a few times in the past few days, it has just frozen completely.

I might give Samsung/O2 a call if it persists.

I have been getting this on and off for a long time. It really annoys me to pull my phone out of my pocket to find the screen off and unable to turn it back on again without taking the battery out and back in again. I'm going to give O2 a call I think as it doesn't appear to be a rogue application as I factory reset with no market apps and it still does it.

Why does everyone seems to be having problems with kies or overheating / freezing S2's? I never used kies and never had a heat problem. While crashes were few and that's an across the board smartphone thing, more prevalent on iPhones if the stats are to be believed.

Can I chalk this down the an advantage for unbranded/unlocked phones over phones bought on contract? As people seem to mention O2 a lot when then are "contacting"

There are strong rumours there will be multiple Nexus devices this time round. It's mostly so the major US carriers can each have their own version (they are quite pissy about 'exclusive' handsets over there apparently) so we might see multiple manufacturers.

A Nexus is a Samsung in the same way an iPhone is a Foxconn.

Those issues described are more than likely down the the Samsung build, rather than a hardware problem.

Here we go, as promised, a side-by-side of the GN and S3 to support my arguments that JellyBean puts the GN back to the top of the pile.

Sorry about the focus, I'll sort it for next time. Any requests on stuff to compare for the next one?

edit: In fact, I don't know why I bothered doing it. This video says exactly what I've been banging on about for months and is far better than mine.

For the batterylife alone S3 wipes the floor with the Nexus. Subjective opinions on software are subjective. But everyone wants a better batterylife. S3 has the best and it just got better with the latest update. Amazing how simple and excellent always knowing your phone will last the day is.

You did no tests other than S voice and voice. Stuff nobody uses. Do a battery test and a camera test please. Or is there a point as we know the results?

Interesting if you do a new video in a few weeks when S3 has jelly bean.

Conor I presume your 50gb Dropbox is courtesy of the S3? If so what happens when the 12 months is up?

Asus Transformer was rubbish as a tablet because of making it work with a keyboard dock so it was too big and too heavy the Tab 10.1 is much better.

I am not surprised by the cool reviews of the new Tab because there isnt enough of a difference between it and the original 10.1 Tab. This is exactly the reason why Samsung have taken an eternity to push out the ICS update to it.

The 10.1 Note looks interesting but the cost is just crazy.

For the batterylife alone S3 wipes the floor with the Nexus. Subjective opinions on software are subjective. But everyone wants a better batterylife. S3 has the best and it just got better with the latest update. Amazing how simple and excellent always knowing your phone will last the day is.

You did no tests other than S voice and voice. Stuff nobody uses. Do a battery test and a camera test please. Or is there a point as we know the results?

Interesting if you do a new video in a few weeks when S3 has jelly bean.

I own both phones. I have no beef with either. The wife loves the S3 as I've stayed with the Nexus. The camera and battery are undoubtedly better, but as you were saying S-Voice was better than Google voice, and that any indications of slight lag were 'laughable', I was comparing these.

If butter does make the S3 fully lag free, then great. It's an even better phone.

By the way, from my own experience with both, there isn't that much between the battery life of both. The S3 has a slightly larger battery, which gives it a slightly longer life, in keeping with the laws of physics.

I have been offered an excellent deal from o2 for an S3 but I can't help feeling I should wait until September to see what the bods in California have to offer.

Darren did you take up the S3 or keep the Nexus

The S3 was tempting but I stuck with the Nexus. There was no guarantee that an AOSP-based ROM will ever be perfect for the S3, and I can't really get on with Touchwiz. You can root it and remove the Samsung apps, then you can change the launcher for something like Nova, but Touchwiz is buried pretty deep into Samsung ROMs and you can never fully get rid of it.

I have been offered an excellent deal from o2 for an S3 but I can't help feeling I should wait until September to see what the bods in California have to offer.

Mountain View, Ca. or Cupertino, Ca. ? :)

Mountain View, Ca. or Cupertino, Ca. ? :)

Cupertino of course :winkold:

I think I'll just have to accept that I'll never understand the trade off of inferior handset for slightly quicker updates. The trade off to me is so vast I struggle to see the other side. When you've fundamental things like superb battery, removable sd and excellent camera ignored in favour of insignificant differences in software.

I'll never understand it, I just see it as computer people liking the pure Google. For reasons that are insignificant to non computer people.

Anyway, I just have to drop it now. I take solace in the fact the tech sites share the same view as me. It's just a niche opinion on vanilla android being worth the hardware sacrifice.

Â