Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

To be perfectly honest I don't really use apps that much. I'm not an apps person. I just use my phone mainly as an internet tablet and media player. I have news widgets, the today in history widget, twitter widget and stuff like that.

I'm a huge fan of tasker for automating processes.

I still dont really get Tasker. I have a strong feeling its just not for me because the things (I think) it excels at just don't really apply in my day to day life.

Correct me if I am wrong here but Tasker sets your phone to do certain things depending on what time of day it is and/or where you are, so for example you can set it to go into a discreet mode when you are at the office or into a loud mode when you are at the pub. I work crazy shifts where I literally have a different starting and finishing time every day and my start and finish time can vary wildly, often by as much as 12-15 hours. Couple that to the fact that I am not working at a static location, I am on the road all day long then I cant really see what Tasker can do for me. I bought it ages ago because everybody was saying how great it is but I still cant think of any use I would have for it.

I use Tasker to only do 2 things:

Set my screen to always on when I'm connected to Bluetooth in the car

Set airplane mode on from 23:00 to 06:00 (started worrying about having all those signals going through my head at night..)

I use the aeroplane mode from midnight to 6am on weekdays.

I've also set some action toggle widgets. One is for power saving mode, I tap it and tasker does all the changes to the settings to save power, turn off all 3g, gps etc, set screen brightness.

I also have it set up to automate shut offs at low battery level and give me a notification.

You can also set it to do actions on receiving a text message out phone call, I used to have it auto reply with a text that I was in the cinema when I turned on the action.

Also, randomised ring tones, select a folder with your custom ring tones and it will randomly play one when you have an incoming call. It changes things up. Also have it changing my background on weekends.

It does a lot of things if you want to program it

Just compare screens to an lcd, then compare browsers over wifi with any phone. Round it off by running quadrant and then tell them where they can buy the sgs 2.

I think with the Desire android matched the iphone. With the Galaxy S2 they surpassed it.

Anyone running android 2.3, on any make phone, go into about phone and tap the android version three times rapidly in a row. Keep trying until it works., you'll know when it does.,

I need to really sit down and get used to it, but so far it's impressive. I'm unfamiliar with Android so stumbled through things so far. I'm currently trying to work out if I can make it do something my N97 did - if using the net at home, only use the Wifi, and otherwise only use the net when I ask it to use it. I fear the answer may be staring me in the face but I'm also just aclimatising to the phone.

Essentially you want 3G off unless you turn it on. Download apn on off widget and after it's downloaded long press on the home screen and add it., you can now tap that to toggle internet on and off. It will take a few seconds to come on once you toggle it on.

Also if you're at home and turn on wifi in the notifications bar it will automatically use wifi instead of 3G

(started worrying about having all those signals going through my head at night..)

I hope you turn off the local tv transmitter too. Also, don't forget to say your prayers.

Essentially you want 3G off unless you turn it on. Download apn on off widget and after it's downloaded long press on the home screen and add it., you can now tap that to toggle internet on and off. It will take a few seconds to come on once you toggle it on.

Also if you're at home and turn on wifi in the notifications bar it will automatically use wifi instead of 3G

:thumb:

Cheers, thats exactly what I wanted. I only tend to use mobile net very, very sparingly so that is the reassurance I needed.

Still getting my head around the way Android does things but I'm really liking the potential there. Just need to start porting across some media to make the phone really 'mine', and get some stuff to play with on it ;).

I only tend to use mobile net very, very sparingly so that is the reassurance I needed.

Why?

The entire point of these devices are they're always connected.

You're not going to burn through an allowance by things syncing in the background.

Android takes a bit to get to know, but once you're up to speed you get to customise it all, tailor it to your own needs. Then when you feel bored you go change everything, download a windows phone 7 theme and make your phone feel new again.

But Don's right, the point of a smartphone is the constant access to the internet. You worried that you're being tracked? :D

How can I get a g-chat or email if interweb is turned off?I have my home screens loaded with innumerable widgets updating, I've so many news widgets. I don't even need to go on the internet to get news, my phone gives me the news I tell it to get.

Embrace it Chindie.

Oh don't get me wrong I want to be able to access all of those things when I'm out and about once in a while, I just want to being doing that once or twice a day when I'm at work or whatever and do it in lump sums rather than have updates coming all throughout the day which I'd find distracting. When I'm at work I only check my phone for the time, and even texts I find a little distracting if I know they're there and I've not read them, so having emails and other updates coming all the time would drive me mad. I'd rather just get them in my break or when theres a spare 5 mins.

I'll be embracing it, it'll just be an embrace done at my control ;).

I can also say that Kies pisses over Nokia's attempt at useful software in the shape of the Ovi Suite, and it's predecessor - which was shit, and didn't work. Simplicity in that sort of thing is goal and Kies nails that so far.

I'm giving pulse a go. I feel the left and right scroll buttons are not that responsive though.

Can I ask what people have on their home screens? I've 4 news feed widgets all pulse now taking up two screens to the left, I've twitter widget below a picture frame of my beloved hurricane fly to the right, just the beautiful home widget on my default screen. then a screen full of bookmarks and tasker shortcuts. Then a screen with folders and app shortcuts. 6 screens in total. I can't seem to slow this phone down, so will add another screen of news feeds

My word pulse updates is terrible. It just plain doesn't update. I have the same techradar feed as the google reader and it's miles behind. Any idea don? I've hit refresh loads of times but got nothing. Still old news

Â