Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

HTC Hero told it was getting 2.1 in January 2010. \o/

HTC Hero actually got 2.1 in October 2010. :\

My mate got it in June. UK carrier **** up?

But yes, still 6 months late which is rather crap.

Time to see of the networks hold up releases this time round. Hopefully lessons were learned.

It's not really a case of lessons being learned, it's more to do with networks having extremely small development teams.

They're far more interested in getting the latest phones out with their own custom crap on rather than updating existing ones, so most development time goes on that. They then fit in updates to existing handsets if and when they can.

That's really never going to change unless it gets significantly easier for them to update a rom to add in their own crap, which then depends on how much they want to cripple it. If they're just adding a few apps and a new boot screen it should be trivial, if they're getting in there and disabling core functionality like tethering then it's obviously going to take them longer.

If you want to avoid the long delays that are inevitable then your only option is to debrand, because networks have always been slow on updates, and they always will be. Updating existing customers doesn't drive revenue so it's a really low priority.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to avoid the long delays that are inevitable then your only option is to debrand, because networks have always been slow on updates, and they always will be

How would you get updated software from a debranded phone first??

I got bought an Orange San Francisco for my birthday. Which is nice.

Anyway, I'm trying to a) root it and/or B) turn it into a T-Mobile phone.

Basically at the mo I can't root it - keep getting errors, so I thought at least I could set it up to use Tmobile's network, but it ain't having it.

I've unlocked the phone.

Installed (?) superuser

I've installed APN backup/restore.

I've downloaded a file of all APNs.

Selected T mobile in my APNs.

When I go to 'search networks' I get 'network is busy, please try later'

Any suggestions? It's not picking up ANY networks at all. I may wander up and down the high street and see if it's just a reception issue, but I doubt it.

Maybe not enough numpties like me asking noob questions?

Anyways, I sorted it. Had to clear the superuser cache, then all went swimmingly.

Now then, where to get hold of Swype...

Anybody tried N64oid yet? The thought of playing goldeneye/mario 64/ocarina of time/banjo kazooie etc on my phone is amazing! Shame there isnt a lite version to try out first, may try and "acquire" it from elsewhere first!

OK so ive decided im going to get a Nexus S or a Samsung S2 and thinking about buying the phone outright and using my existing sim only deal with O2.

But what i want to know is what are the advantages of getting a debranded phone?? I realise that being able to switch operator as and when you want to is a good thing, but what other advantages are there?

Somebody mentioned getting updates for the software beforre a branded phone. Why is this?

On an unbranded, unlocked phone you're not at the mercy of anyone. On a branded phone, even if you buy an network-unlocked one, you will still have the manufacturer branding on there, and it will be locked where you can't (easily) load whatever OS updates you want.

When I had my Galaxy S, it was a nice phone. The screen was amazing and the hardware was undoubtedly excellent. Unfortunately it was absolutely crippled by Samsung's modifications of Android. They put their own launcher on there called Touchwiz - every manufacturer has these. With HTC it's called Sense, with Sony Ericsson it's called Rachael, Motorola have Motoblur etc. Touchwiz as a launcher is actually quite nice. Apart from being far too much like the iPhone interface there are some nice touches. But the problem is, Touchwiz has feelers in everything. You can't do anything with the phone without Touchwiz being in the way. Apart from that there were quite a few issues such as the memory management and the lag - Samsung saw fit to change the autokiller Google have put in place in Android, where it magically tries to use as much of the memory as possible and keep everything running, to a system like a PC, where you have to shut down apps you aren't using. With the lag, Samsung used their own NAND chip called the MoviNAND. It's their latest and greatest flash memory and they wanted to push it. The problem is, it's not ideally suited to a phone. The only way to fix it was to root the phone, install a custom kernel and then use a lagfix. Samsung then said that if they find your phone rooted on a warranty claim, they'll void your warranty.

Google came along, made Samsung change the moviNAND chip to their flash memory competitor Sandisk's oneNAND and then made a plain, vanilla Gingerbread build for that device, and called it the Nexus S. As soon as it was released, all the code for the Nexus S was open-sourced and the day after there was an alternative OS called CyanogenMod released for that phone.

That's the major difference. With any phone, you're at the mercy of the manufacturer to fix issues and supply OS updates, and they have no real interest in doing so as they won't sell new phones if they upgrade their old ones.

With the Nexus phones, you're fully in control. Every now and again you get a new drop of Gingerbread, or an update to the latest and greatest over the air. Or you load something like CyanogenMod on it. It's up to you. To show the main difference in philosophies :

1. Google telling you to root your phones and criticising manufacturers blocking you from doing so: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/12/its-not-rooting-its-openness.html

2. Samsung notice to repair centres to void warranties if the phone is rooted http://www.samfirmware.com/I9000%20NOTE.jpg

Thanks for that mate. Still a bit confused though.

Basically youre saying that the Nexus will get updates to software before the Galaxy, but are they not both manufactured by Samsung?? Why would the nexus get updates before the other if i were buying a debranded phone from a shop?

It's all about support and responsibility. Who makes the hardware is not as relevant these days as to who 'packages' it. Google package the Nexus S, even though the hardware is made by Samsung.

When you buy an iPhone, the hardware is made by a company called Foxconn, apart from the screen, which is made by LG (LG stands for Lucky Goldstar, and they're the same company as Goldstar who used to make all the cheap midi systems and microwaves). Foxconn make all the connectors and IO ports for pretty much every PC motherboard out there, and will actually make the whole motherboard for certain companies such as Intel. But no-one considers the iPhone to be a Foxconn phone. Inside your TV you'll find lots of Samsung components and lots of Philips stuff, no matter what the manufacturer.

So the hardware market is very incestuous. Everyone uses everyone else's bits. What's most important now is who 'supplies' the device, and in the case of the NS, it's Google. They've specified to Samsung how they want the device and Samsung have built the phone, even down to using someone else's NAND to ensure there is no lag.

As I've said above, Samsung have no interest in making OS updates for any of their phones. Once they're sold, Samsung make no more money from you after you've paid for it, so they want you to buy the next one they'll release with the latest Android. The Nexus phones on the other hand, are Google phones. Google only have an interest in moving Android forward so will push the latest Android to any Nexus phones as soon as they can.

Â