Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Got my N5

Google appear to be pretty damn good at despatching stuff now.

Ordered my phone on Thursday about 1pm. Got an email at 11pm saying it had been despatched and it arrived on friday morning. Pretty awesome.

Anyway I love the phone. Looks beautiful and is surprisingly small and light given the 5 inch screen.

It is absolute lightning compared to the laggy s3. So quick at everything and an absolute pleasure not to have to spend ages sorting out all that flipping bloatware.

Also, everything I was slightly worried about has proven to be not worth worrying about.

Eg battery, its easily better than my s3. Miles better in fact.

Sound, I'd heard that the speaker was really quiet. Maybe it is compared to brand new phones, but again its louder than my s3 so I'm happy.

Camera isn't as good as the s3 and takes ages to focus, but the pictures come out well enough for what I'd be using it for anyway.

Obviously haven't had it long but I love it so far. Beautiful phone

Have you got HDR+ turned on for the photos? It takes 3 photos and combines into one so will be a lot slower depending on the light. Turn it off and it will take photos in exactly the same way as other smartphones but the photos won't look quite as amazing. Camera is definitely better than the S3 by the way ;)

On the recommended software front try "Pushbullet". Its an app and an extension for Chrome which will basically show calls, texts and other notifications in Chrome on your desktop. Very cool.

According to a couple of rumours today it could be curtains for the Nexus range as Google are set to get GPE handsets to market instead.

Thought as much, thanks!

Still loving my N5 :D <3

Been on battery for nearly 9 hours now. That's included half an hour of YouTube watching, an hour of listening to a podcast and about half an hour playing Candy Crush (only just got into it, addicted already!)

Still 59% remaining.

My S3 would be on about 20% by now.

Seconded.

My fiancée in her wisdom put my mint condition HTC One into a drawer and thinking that the draw just wasn't closing properly then forced the drawer shut. Several hours later I asked my fiancée where my phone was and was duly informed. I opened the same drawer, lifted my phone and to my absolute horror noted that the bottom speaker casing had been badly chipped and on closer inspection the screen had been scratched in several places.

Since I had chosen the black model under contract this has completely destroyed the look of my phone and now I just simply don't want to use it anymore. Out of desperation I then emailed HTC to see if the speaker grill could at least be replaced but the shites haven't bothered answering my email. Further investigation on the net has shown that there are companies selling replacement speaker grills for the HTC One but the advice is on various forums is that the speaker grill is glued into place and therefore nearly impossible to change without firstly affecting warranty and secondly doing further damage to your phone.

After shoving my fiancée into a drawer I am now contemplating buying another phone. I did like the HTC One but may just put it up for sale on Gumtree as marked but working perfectly and see what I can get for it even though having to pay another year on contract.

Now looking at the S4 or N5. Anyone come up with any special deals on either phone?

N5 > S4

That is all.

Buy it outright (£300 less whatever you get for your HTC (£160 on Mazuma for a start, more if you can sell it for more))

That's £140 for a brand new, high spec phone, not on contract.

Thanks for that Stevo. Pretty distraught at the moment but these things happen.

Are you suggesting the N5 rather than the S4 or both?

When I sell the HTC One can I transfer the sim into my new phone thereby continuing on the same contract or do you suggest as you've stated in your previous post to forget about contract and just go PAYG?

I'd say the N5 is better than the S4. I haven't used the S4 extensively, but I've had a play with one and I've had 18 months owning an S3. The leap from S3 to N5 is enormous. I much much prefer the vanilla android to Samsung's version. I'd have no reason to believe the S4's version is much, if at all, different to the S3.

That's before you factor in the price.

Don't get me wrong, my S3 was a greta phone, and the S4 is an upgrade on that so it would still be a solid piece of hardware. I just think the N5 is better.

As long as you buy an unlocked phone you can put whatever sim you like into it and it will work.

I've done the same, just bought a brand new N5, and put my old sim in and I'm still using the contract I was on (until it runs out, then I'll cancel and move to giff gaff)

Ok mate thanks for that. After a quick search there are rumors of a S5 being released in March-April time although price without contract will probably be extortionate?

Will have a look at the N5 in the meantime and then decide if it's the one for me.

Ok thanks Regis. Seems to be the one to go for. As Stevo has stated Mazuma offering £160.00 for my HTC One which is only £20-£40 down on what is being asked for on Gumtree for a scuffed model. I also have a mint HTC Wildfire S boxed and in full working order so I'll check what Mazuma is offering on that and then make my decision.

Ok thanks Regis. Seems to be the one to go for. As Stevo has stated Mazuma offering £160.00 for my HTC One which is only £20-£40 down on what is being asked for on Gumtree for a scuffed model. I also have a mint HTC Wildfire S boxed and in full working order so I'll check what Mazuma is offering on that and then make my decision.

Tamuff_Villa posted a link to a comparison site a page or two back that will give you better prices for your phone.

However, I've found (on closer inspection) that the high paying ones will insist the phone is in mint condition otherwise they'll heavily discount the price they're offering.

So for your mint boxed phone, I'd go with one of them. For your scuffed HTC you're probably better off with Mazuma as I'm fairly sure as long as it's working and the screen is intact, Mazuma will honour their price.

Also, CEX on the high street will offer you a price for used mobiles there and then if you pop in and show them the phone. Wouldn't take mine as there's a small crack in the bezel on my S3 so he said they could only offer non-working price (£50) so I didn't take it (and he wasn't trying to screw me, he even told me I should go for someone like Mazuma instead as I'd get a better price)

Either way, you should be able to get some cash towards your new phone.

ps yeah I'd expect the S5 to be £500 and upwards without a contract

• Like 1

If you need a phone while you run out your contract (why do people have contracts?), get the Moto G. You can buy them SIM free at Tesco and there are other deals if you want to look around on line.

Â