Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Quite strong rumours on the mailing list, unsubstantiated at this time, that lerner is borrowing the money to fund this, rather than use his own money

Is this such a shock?

Surely it is fairly normal practice for a businessman to borrow to expand his portfolio?

The crucial points are that no one borrows money if they do not believe that they can make a success of their investment, and it does help if you have the necessary credit line in the first place.

It is perfectly legal to borrow money to assist in the acquisition of a corporation and pledging your own assets as security. You cannot however as far as I am aware pledge the assets of the corporation that you intend to acquire as security for any loans.

However you look at it, Mr Lerner would still be using his own money or at least his own corporation's money. He has to offer an acceptable security for the loans. At some stage those loans have to be paid off or refinanced.

Let's not forget that Mr Lerner's family founded the MBNA credit card chain. I think he may have just a little experience in how this works ;)

Let's hope that Rothschilds can hasten the conclusion of the "takeforever" .

I have a nagging feeling that this process could be dragged out for longer than we long suffering fickle 'uns deserve. With the rumoured presence of stalking-horses and phantom bidders this could take a while especially if Doug decides to dither at all.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all speculate about these bids but none of us have any real knowledge of the detail of them, do we?

Lerner is the fan's favourite as he is the richest. Neville is dismissed a little as it seemed he had to scrape the money together so possibly wouldn't have as much to invest in the team.

Who says that Lerner is the richest? Neville seems a bit of a chancer, and if the rumours are correct that he asked Petchy to borrow him some dough, then his looks more dubious by the minute.

I don't like your post. Mainly because it talks sense and I don't like what it's saying :) I want it NOW NOW NOW.

Whaaaaaaa meeee ? talk sense? must be the first time this year LOL

I want it now too BOF, but then I keep remembering who is the king of all ditherers and where they may be involved at the centre of all this. In the end I can't avoid the obvious conclusion. AGGGGHHHHHHHH !

As for Doug, this supreme melodrama right at the end of his lack lustre career must be like having Christmas 365 days of a year.

Oh well, on the bright side, we have MON, every day is a MON-day and there might not be a better man for this particular situation.

So in effect we have several games to follow this season. The one on the Park and the other in and around the board room. I bet Marion Stringer and Steve Stride are starting to wish they had retired already ;)

The really bad news ? All this extra curricular stuff will only encourage Doug to write yet another bloody memoir. I can see the title

"Doug Ellis : The mastermind behind Rothschilds Villa FC or How to make money without really trying " ;)

Have we considered the obvious Watford link between GT, Petchy and their new found friend Life Long Fan Michael Neville!

I would imagine most people would be considering the obvious Villa link.

Well, am i not correct in assuming that whilst Petchy was Chairman, GT for a short time was manager. To my knowledge, Petchy has never been involved in the day to day side at Villa, but merely an investor. However they both had a close relationship at Watford.

Now, if, and it's a big if, reports are to be believed Life Long Fan Michael Neville has approached Petchy to loan him the money, what if GT is involved or even facilitated this approach?

where has all the optimism of the last few weeks gone ???

soon you'll all be bemoaning whether or not Ellis is really going to sell.

several things are certain,

a, Lerner still hasn't committed himself publicly

b, Neville is the one committed bidder he says, does anyone believe him

c, AV06 are another negotiating via the media not the boardroom

d, there are other bidders who have presented their case and said nowt

e, Ellis is not too bothered about selling quickly or at all

f, O'Leary knew something as did the players at the season start, culminating in his departure

g, O'Neill knows something too

h, Petchey has yet to have his day, how long will it be before he does

i, talk of top six, finish, big money signings, are premature

Trouble Villa fans have is that as with all his negotiations the prime mover is into Brinkmanship big time, he doesn't think or act like a modern day businessman or play by their rules or expectation.

If he did the club would have been bought at least twice already.

the time is quickly approaching where it will be put up or shut up time, nothing is sure, except we are likely even now to get a few surprises. Look out for Petchey, he has yet to play his hand

Quite strong rumours on the mailing list, unsubstantiated at this time, that lerner is borrowing the money to fund this, rather than use his own money

Is this such a shock?

No, well not to me anyway.

i think we are all still optimistic of ellis departing-its just the timing that worries me

ellis gone or not doesn't change how the team perform on the pitch and even with MON producing miracles we still have a very thin squad once the transfer window closes who will struggle through to january as they are especially with injuries. (and going on past years there aren't a huge amount of decent players available in that window that clubs allow to leave)

obviously the quicker things go through the more chance we have of bringing some players in before the deadline at the end of the month

bar that the future looks bright in a shade of claret and blue :P

I'm still convinced the takeover will happen, but imo the reason that optimism has begun to drain out of us is that it's becoming increasingly clear that the takeover isn't going to happen this week, or next week.

In fact I'm increasingly looking at potentially writing this season off as a bit of a practice for MON and the new players before money becomes available to start changing things NEXT summer.

:?

takeover isn't going to happen this week, or next week.

You know I just wouldn't rule it out that easily

Thanks Richard, you've become my motivational guru.

So, to echo your thoughts elsewhere;

If the statement by the players was the beginning of the end.

MON's appointment was the beginning of the beginning.

Are we in the middle of the end, and do you think the end of the end is in sight ?

If so, how far away do you think we might be from the middle of the beginning ?

Are we in the middle of the end, and do you think the end of the end is in sight ?

Well that's my post of the day so far :crylaugh:

I dont think that can really be answered without actually realising whether we are at the top, middle or bottom of any point on the line of time.

It's not really a two dimensional answer you see.