The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

My biggest issue with aew is they have a absolutely huge amd bloated roaster yet they have to being in people like RVD and Ricky the dragon steamboat.

Sorry, what?

He wrestled at Wrestlemania III.. Summerslam '91 etc.  How the **** is he still wrestling!? He must be atleast 80 by now?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry, what?

He wrestled at Wrestlemania III.. Summerslam '91 etc.  How the **** is he still wrestling!? He must be atleast 80 by now?

He wasn't wrestling. He was the special guest referee for CM Punk vs Ricky Starks on AEW Collision last week.

In 2004, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat was a part-time referee for Ring of Honor, and CM Punk was at odds with him because Ricky had an issue with CM Punks arrogance. They eventually overcame this issue and Ricky became CM Punks mentor. Fast forward 19-years and CM Punk knew the perfect person to call to be the special guest referee for his match, as he knew Ricky Steamboat would call it straight and put up with no bullshit. 

So, Ricky Steamboat appearing is not as random as it sounds, but he wasn't wrestling. He did get a pretty nice beat down by Ricky Starks after the match though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

He wasn't wrestling. He was the special guest referee for CM Punk vs Ricky Starks on AEW Collision last week.

In 2004, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat was a part-time referee for Ring of Honor, and CM Punk was at odds with him because Ricky had an issue with CM Punks arrogance. They eventually overcame this issue and Ricky became CM Punks mentor. Fast forward 19-years and CM Punk knew the perfect person to call to be the special guest referee for his match, as he knew Ricky Steamboat would call it straight and put up with no bullshit. 

So, Ricky Steamboat appearing is not as random as it sounds, but he wasn't wrestling. He did get a pretty nice beat down by Ricky Starks after the match though.

Thanks for posting this.

I was about to say there is no way this guy can still be wrestling, I was amazed he was still alive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sorry, what?

Yeah sorry i should have clarified it wasnt as a actual wrestler however they are using rob van dam who is very old.

But my point is why bring i  all these oldies when you have a stacked roster of talent that are dying for opportunities?

They bought in sabu fod a guest stint. This is the biggest issue i have with aew. They have some very talented people that are nkt getting any build or decent storylines.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah sorry i should have clarified it wasnt as a actual wrestler however they are using rob van dam who is very old.

But my point is why bring i  all these oldies when you have a stacked roster of talent that are dying for opportunities?

They bought in sabu fod a guest stint. This is the biggest issue i have with aew. They have some very talented people that are nkt getting any build or decent storylines.

WWE gave their main title to a 53 year old Goldberg. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

WWE gave their main title to a 53 year old Goldberg. 

Shows how bad the state of wrestling is.  Everyone also knows reigna is finally dropping title at WM to cody (whether priest cashes in on him after which i think will happen to cause a shock factor)  

So i dont bother  watching roman matches because u know the result until WM. Biggest issue with wrestling these days is the poor booking and predictability 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Shows how bad the state of wrestling is.

Wrestling has been largely shite for years now since WWF purchased both ECW & WCW way back when. It was not long after the 'Invasion era' in the early 00's that I stopped watching it altogether.

1987 - 1992 & 1997 - 2002 were the best years imo - but maybe that's because I'm old.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Wrestling has been largely shite for years now since WWF purchased both ECW & WCW way back when. It was not long after the 'Invasion era' in the early 00's that I stopped watching it altogether.

1987 - 1992 & 1997 - 2002 were the best years imo - but maybe that's because I'm old.

I think your right. It isnt as good as it use to be. There was a period where triple h was making it good again. But then vince came back and gone to absolute shit again

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your right. It isnt as good as it use to be. There was a period where triple h was making it good again. But then vince came back and gone to absolute shit again

Talking of McMahon, I seen a picture of him the other day. What the f*** has he done to himself?  :crylaugh:

vince-mcmahon-4.jpg

He looks like a cross between Saddam Hussein & Clark Gable.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Talking of McMahon, I seen a picture of him the other day. What the f*** has he done to himself?  :crylaugh:

vince-mcmahon-4.jpg

He looks like a cross between Saddam Hussein & Clark Gable.

It’s actually Bruce McMahon, so he can say he didn’t do all the things he is accused of and actually Vince has retired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Shows how bad the state of wrestling is

I think it's indicative of American wrestling booking in general. It's just kind of normal to get 'legends' to turn up in some capacity, even if it's not a match, maybe they take a bump from a heel for some storyline heat or something. 

I don't really like it either. Perhaps it's a symptom of the success of the Attitude era, where there was always a factor of "you'll never guess who has returned / who has debuted!" which I can vividly recall being very cool...as a 14 year old kid.

A lot of the bookers now either learnt their trade, so to speak, at that time...or they're still the same people!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

It’s actually Bruce McMahon, so he can say he didn’t do all the things he is accused of and actually Vince has retired.

Sounds about right.

It would be fascinating to see a book released/launched detailing the shenanigans of this guy throughout his tenure in WWF/WWE. I bet there a plethora of folk with tonnes of dirt that could be spilled on him - and not just females like Trish Stratus. (I know these people can't release such info due to already being gagged or risk being sued), but I bet there would be some damn interesting reading.

I own books already like the Titan Trilogy that touch on the murky side of wrestling from over the years etc. but I bet that isn't even touching the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this guy.

Wow so we are getting a real treat. Pov starts at 5pm and we have been given a bonus MJF/COLE Vs aussie open for roh titles.

So we get to see MJF and adam cole wrestle twice on the ppv. Khans going all out for this ppv. I think its going to be epic night

Also we are getting sting and darby allin vs strickland and AR FOx

Along with a womens four way. Sariya will be one of the four no doubt as she is coming home

On 01/08/2023 at 14:58, GarethRDR said:

Need to get that pre-show VT meetup sorted!  Who's gonna be going?

Where & when is this happening?

I'll be getting the train down in the morning and getting the coach back by the looks of it. I could do the coach both ways, but it doesn't get to Wembley until 3pm. 

I've not really watched much WWE, but I still get the news pop up in my feed and clips etc... I know everyone is high on Roman and he's held the title for sooo loooooong, but having a part time champion to me just seems idiotic. People want to see title defences, title swaps etc.. not the same old outcome every other PPV. The Bloodline story seems to have it's own momentum where Roman has been elevated to this God tier status where no-one can dethrone him.

Also the SS turn at the end was so unnecessary. There's such a thing as too many twists.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Where & when is this happening?

I'll be getting the train down in the morning and getting the coach back by the looks of it. I could do the coach both ways, but it doesn't get to Wembley until 3pm. 

Where you guys sitting?

If there is a villatalk meetup before hand im down 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Where you guys sitting?

If there is a villatalk meetup before hand im down 

Section 505 Row 14 for me, aka. the Gods. 

Still no e-ticket on my Wembley account though!

On 09/08/2023 at 08:03, Demitri_C said:

But it’s not like they are full time, it’s nice to pay some homage and respect to these past wrestlers and RVD had a really good match wil Jack Perry and elevated him

Â