The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

War Zone was brilliant! The original Create a wrestler with about as many options as WWE 14 has (sadly)

Dude Love and Cactus Jack were unlockable as well as Goldust's alter egos, TAFKA Goldust and Dusty Dust.

I might be wrong, but was Warzone the first game (any game not just wrestling) to have a create a wrestler/player/character in it?

It was certainly the first I'd encountered. Pretty revolutionary.

To be fair, Fire Pro was sprite based so the CAW feature was basically having the ability to change bits of the wrestler and edit the colours. I'm pretty certain that War Zone had the first non sprite CAW with proper customisation options.

War Zone is responsible for me being the wrestling fan I am. Got me back into the WWF big time after a short hiatus.

Agree with Stevo, the THQ games on the 64 were unbelievable and a much better wrestling simulation at the time. WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. Awesome!

• Like 1

WWF Attitude game was the best for me personally, alongside no mercy. 

I remember the day the game came out I woke up early in the morning and went on the games page on Channel 4 teletext only to find the complete movesets of every wrestler.  For some reason I decided to jot down every move of every wrestler, thinking this wouldnt be available in the game.  Doh!

• Like 1

War Zone is responsible for me being the wrestling fan I am. Got me back into the WWF big time after a short hiatus.

Same with me. I'd been on and off up until then.

Then I got Warzone and loved it and so started watching religiously. Good times

WWF Attitude game was the best for me personally, alongside no mercy.

Attitude was great at the time, but the controls were awful in retrospect.

"Time to do a stunner...left, right, left, left, CLeft, CRight, R, L, A... STUNNER!"

3 mates and I once played an Ironman tag match on No Mercy.

A full hour, 2 vs 2 and it was incredible.

We were behind for ages and came back at the end with about 7 straight falls to draw 25-25

(That's a lot of falls, but once you got to the last 15 minutes or so the wrestlers are so fatigued that any sort of offence resulted in a pin fall)

No Mercy also had an insane array of moves. 

A few years ago I saw a video of the "Best japanese wrestling moves" and nearly every single one of them I recognised from No Mercy (and had never seen anywhere else) so they were obviously hugely influenced by Japan (unsurprisingly I guess as I assume the studio was japanese?)

Made CAW brilliant because you had so many moves to choose from.

• Like 1

After I sold my N64 (dont ask) I remember missing the game so much that I downloaded an emulator on to my pc and downloaded the No Mercy rom.  It was still amazing even as a crappy rom.

This could be suitable for the confession thread to file alongside my full Subbuteo league that I played by myself.  But me and 3 mates used  to get together twice a week (Nitro and Thunder) and every fourth Sunday (PPV) to play out entire shows on WCW/NWO revenge.  We booked the shows and the match outcomes depended on us playing against each other.

We made ourselves, I was Wainy the God, I know, I know, and I formed the wWo (Wain's World Order), which my submissive mate didn't mind being a part of.  My other two mates briefly joined but then turned heel on me and my mate headlined WCW Souled Out for the title I had previously won from Kevin Nash.

I was genuinely devastated when Ric Flair (who wasn't on the game but we created him over Fit Finlay) beat me for the title, but in the rematch, I secretly arranged for my mate to lay down for me (hold the analogue stick down) and the title was mine again.

We also made a magazine where we'd include real wrestling photos and paste our heads on top.

Man, I sucked.

• Like 2

Â