Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?

briggaman

Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?

• Yes
    • No

Its here to stay, gimmick or not.

That sentence doesn't make sense to me. If it's a gimmick then it's not here to stay. It has to be profitable to hang around. And people will quickly tire of it.

And people will quickly tire of it.
Only if they keep rushing out crap like Clash of the titans in fake 3d.

If it stays or not has far more to do with the content that is put out on it than any limitations in the technology. If they treat it right and only bring out things that are filmed for 3d in 3d, rather than using crappy post production to add 3d to a 2d film, then the sky is the limit for it. But as they've already shown with clash of the titans, they aren't going to do that, so it really depends on how the mix is between real 3d, and crappy post production fake 3d. The more real 3d the better the chances of it staying around.

If they treat it right and only bring out things that are filmed for 3d in 3d, rather than using crappy post production to add 3d to a 2d film, then the sky is the limit for it.

The temptation; and I imagine the technical simplicity; will mean they'll always do that.

A couple more Avatars and they might be quids in - even if I had to blink at triple the normal rate while driving home just to keep my eyes from drying up after watching it. As a non-spectacle wearer it **** me up.

they could of course stop piracy by giving the customer what they want

What does that mean?

Cheaper to go to the cinema and no increase for 3D films.

Allow people to take their own drinks / sweets into the cinema

Make DVD's / Blue rays cheaper (9.99 / 14.99 for e.g MAX)

When a bought DVD is inserted the menu starts straight away, no warnings, no trailers, no adverts and no bits that can't be fast forward....(These can be menu items if they want it so bad)just the product that was bought.

Allow films to be downloaded on day of release to home (Film only, no BS as above)to cater for Home cinema people.

Just a few of the top of my head. If they did the above the film companies would have more money than they could ever know what to do with. These are base requirements, there are others.

Its here to stay, gimmick or not.

That sentence doesn't make sense to me. If it's a gimmick then it's not here to stay. It has to be profitable to hang around. And people will quickly tire of it.

I suppose what I mean is that at the moment 3D is a gimmick on many films, however, when done correctly ie Avatar it is proven to be a very successful marketing tool and a draw for getting people to the cinema (like the film or not, it did do this). Those who have seen the film in 3D noted that it was far more subtle, adding depth to the screen, than was expected. This is the future of 3D rather than the 'pointy-thing-in-your-eye' moments of bad 3D efforts.

Plus James Cameron has long been a fan of 3D in films and developed 3D cameras with his brother for his Ghosts of the Abyss films. Whilst 3D has the backing of such hugely successful film makers it will continue to grow.

It has now become pretty standard for animated films to be released as 3D as these are by far the easiest films to 3Dify and I can not see that changing. Hence I feel that 3D is here to stay.

Anyone know if the glasses can damage your eyes if worn too often? I know that they have changed the lenses to make less strain. However, I'm guessing that wearing them for too long can't be a good thing.

I have watched a football demo video in 3D and was totally unimpressed, it very quickly gave me a headache. Also, it seemed almost like one of those pop out books where the players/ball were in the forground and the crowd was in the background but both were still 2D if that makes any sense. It wasn't a true depth.

Perhaps they just need to work on it some more.

I have watched a football demo video in 3D and was totally unimpressed, it very quickly gave me a headache. Also, it seemed almost like one of those pop out books where the players/ball were in the forground and the crowd was in the background but both were still 2D if that makes any sense. It wasn't a true depth.

Perhaps they just need to work on it some more.

Very well put. I've always felt that about 3D - it isn't actually like real life, it's more falsely "layered", so that things pop out of the screen in too exaggerated a way. Quite entertaining as a bit of fun, but I don't want to see regular films in it.

I am very surprised this has been launched in pubs first as IMO its useless as you have to be standing directly infront of the screen to get the full effect we have rolled it out in some of our pubs and early reports are it was a nightmare with a lot of people moaning they could not watch it plus how are of the glasses are going to get lost or half inched?

Â