Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?

briggaman

Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is 3D a gimmick in your opinion?

• Yes
    • No

I remember people saying internet, mp3 players and cameras on your mobile were a gimmick and wouldn't really catch on. Now it's hard to find a phone released today that doesn't do at least 2 of those things.

It will be around for a while in my opinion.

Certain things will really benefit from HD, others it won't really add to the experience.

There were probably people who said the invention of fire, the wheel, the printing press and the internal combustion engine were gimmicks too. Just because they were also wrong doesn't mean that 3D isn't a gimmick.

3D in its current form clearly is. Its a device to get people into cinemas and to (hopefully) cut down on piracy, but that's it. It's not going to become a part of people daily lives like the internet, the .mp3 file or a camera on a mobile phone are. Maybe one day there will be a time when everything is broadcast in 3D onto screens where you don't need to wear silly glasses or where you don't need to sit in a very specific location, but that is a way off yet. I mean, look at how slowly its taken high definition to take off. We still don't really have it yet, its there if you want it but its not become a standard, and companies have been pushing that for a decade.

It only really took HDTVs to really take off because the prices of those TVs were so high to begin with.

Same goes for DVDs when they first came out and now blu-ray. The first few years the costs for those devices are way too high for most people to purchase. The first standard dvd player when launched was something ludicrous like £200.

Now they are £25.

prices seem to come down faster for electrical goods now, probably because technology is moving faster when it comes to entertainment.

I think for something to be considered a true gimmick, we need the price of them to be that which the majority can afford. If people still don't take it on then yes it's a gimmick.

not so taccy 3d glasses

its going to be like HD tvs, you watch a proper one and it'll be good, watch an aldi £150 special and you'll wonder what the fuss is about, clash of the titans is meant to be utter cock in 3D because it has been done on the cheap

was it not "converted" for 3D and not actually filmed using the 3D technology?

Toy Story 3 in 3D could end up showing 3Ds potential. The trailer looked great.

As far as I'm aware only 1 film has been filmed specifically with 3d in mind, that it is it was framed for 3d, and that is Avatar. And not everyone was convinced by that.

I've heard many people say that, for films, the 3d effect, which is supposed to be more immersive, actually breaks the immersive quality of a good film because you suddenly have things poking out at you that breaks the suspension of disbelief, and actively makes you aware you're watching something rather than being involved.

I've heard many people say that, for films, the 3d effect, which is supposed to be more immersive, actually breaks the immersive quality of a good film because you suddenly have things poking out at you that breaks the suspension of disbelief, and actively makes you aware you're watching something rather than being involved.

That's bad 3d.

3D done properly never "pops out" of the screen. Good 3d just adds depth and makes you feel more involved because it goes from watching a flat moving picture to like looking out of a window.

That's bad 3d.

3D done properly never "pops out" of the screen. Good 3d just adds depth and makes you feel more involved because it goes from watching a flat moving picture to like looking out of a window.

IMAX (even in 2D) is good for that.

It's a wonderful thing.

Not because 3D is actually that good, but new technology always drives down the price of existing sets. Might wait 6 months then get that HD telly for half the price it is now.

according to the Gadget Show who had their exhibition at the NEC last week. 3D was the most popular exhibit over the whole show and got the best response.

If it's a gimmick, people are buying into the idea in droves.

just seen the new resident evil film trailer, looked utter gash (steals all the best bits from 4 & 5 but puts all the daft film charcters in it again) its been filmed using JC avatar cameras so should be interesting, an expensive 3D flop

Â