Bulger Killer Returned To Jail [Poll Added]

Reality

What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?

• Their punishment was too severe
    • The punishment was correct
    • The punishment should have been longer
    • They should never have been let out
    • The Death Sentence

Sorry Chindie, but you did "excuse" them not having an appreciation of right and wrong due to "their upbringing" and that is what I've the issue with.

I've revisited my posts and can see nowhere that I've branded someone a criminal and cast them off, though I'll admit to being tempted with a few recently.

We tend to spend more time with the "lets understand and sympathise" rather than my preferred simplistic - Have they done wrong - requisite punishment applied

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree completely Stevo, It's an excuse. It explains nothing

Do you believe then that some people are born to be killers no matter what happens to them after birth? Like some sort of “evil gene” passed down from your parents??

Of course it is an explanation, the more we learn what makes people turn bad the more we can prevent it.

Only dealing with people with extreme punishments after they have committed crimes and not looking for the reasons why people commit crimes doesn't help anyone.

Prevention is better than cure so they say...

Do you believe then that some people are born to be killers no matter what happens to them after birth? Like some sort of “evil gene” passed down from your parents??

There are thousands and thousands of children born every year to poor (not in the financial sense) parents, and not all of these kids go out and snatch a toddler and proceed to torture and murder him.

So are they born with a genetic defect?

Of course i dont stop reading the second i see something i dont agree with...

I stopped reading after this.......

Really? :?

Its called sarcasm buddy...if i told you i was MON's love child would you believe me? :D

Apologies

There are thousands and thousands of children born every year to poor (not in the financial sense) parents, and not all of these kids go out and snatch a toddler and proceed to torture and murder him.

No, but in the same way not everyones mind is the same. People react differently. I've known people who had horrible childhoods who grew up as fantastic people. I've also known people who had amazing parents who'd move the earth for them, and now their children are thugs.

People react as individuals, how you handle situations at home is down to how your mind reacts to it. Venables and Thompson reacted in a terrible way that lead them to a horrible act. Many others given the same childhood wouldn't do that. Many of them would grow up, in some other way, as a 'broken' person, no doubt, be that with confidence issues, or problems relating to others, or intimacy problems. Similarily, many others would grow to be better people from adversity.

It's never simple.

I wonder if there is anyone in this 'discussion' that is willing to admit that they feel sorry for how Venables has been treated and portrayed in the media?

Any individuals you want to ask directly, because I see no-one who has at all suggested even minutely that end.

Its called sarcasm buddy...

Really? It wasn't out of character with any of your other posts (the ones which indicated that you hadn't bothered to read any of the other reponses that people had taken their time to give to you).

I wonder if there is anyone in this 'discussion' that is willing to admit that they feel sorry for how Venables has been treated and portrayed in the media?

I will keep it simple and put

NO.

Any individuals you want to ask directly, because I see no-one who has at all suggested even minutely that end.

I havent either.

Thats why I asked the question?? :?

I havent either.

Thats why I asked the question?? :?

Apologies.

It just seemed a rather loaded question. I am too cynical at times.

(I think you could forgive me that after being accused of being an example of the reasoning of all societies failings, and as 'an apologist for the most of heinous of crimes', a statement only outdone in it's stupidity by the fact it remains in this thread).

I don't.

I feel sorry for society because of the media reaction to the events; I feel sorry for those (as TheDon has mentioned) who will find themselves suspected of being Venables just because of their age and gender; I feel sorry for James Bolger's parents for the media storm which has surrounded this whole thing and the extra emotional turmoil which has inevitably ridden into town alongside.

Of course i dont stop reading the second i see something i dont agree with...

I stopped reading after this.......

Really? :?

Its called sarcasm buddy...if i told you i was MON's love child would you believe me? :D

Apologies

Actually, that is an admission of what we term here, Posting for Effect or PFE, which is clearly against site guidelines. you posted something which wasn't true, just for effect. Don't do that again - Bicks

Just because some people react one way to something as a child doesn't mean everyone does.

But you get the right (or should I say wrong?) combination of factors and they all combine together you can come up with a killer.

It is important to learn what these factors are so that future killers can be prevented from developing.

It's also worth attempting to undo some of the factors so the person can become a regular contributing member of society again.

I njust got a text message from a mate, giving Venables new name, his crime, and where he did it.

Not sure if its for real though

Actually, just looking at Facebook it seems the whole thing is BS

Â