Mass Effect 2

Stu_The_Villan

Are you just playing this for the first time now Rev?

Yep. I didnt like the first one at all.

I may have to get this. I've been looking for something to push the new system I bought recently and this seems to fit the bill graphically. The only thing that put me off was that I didn't get on with the first one, but after reading a bit more about it I take it it's a vast improvement. Hmmmm.

I'd recommend it. It's not that demanding either, it's basically an Xbox 360 game designed to run at 720p with a nice UI for the PC. Very World of Warcraft in parts I guess. I think the 360 version runs at 30fps, the PC version will obviously sail along at 60 (or whatever you have your monitor refesh rate at) which makes it look very nice indeed.

From a gameplay point of view, it's spectacularly good. I enjoyed the story in the first one but tons of other things about it pissed me off. I hated the driving sections, I didnt enjoy the combat (maybe I would have preferred it on PC as I understand the user interface on the PC version of the first game was much better than the 360 version.) I didnt like the graphics on the first game either, it chugged along at horrible frame rates and the texture pop in was annoying. Normally stuff like that wouldnt bother me, but I think it was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Mass Effect 2 seems to have addressed every single problem that the first game had. I think I am enjoying it more than I enjoyed Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption, and they were both amazing. It's the last day of the Steam Sale today and they tend to have the best selling games from the previous days of the sale in that, so it might be worth having a look there. £17.99 on Steam. You can save a couple of quid if you go to Amazon or somewhere, but of course you have to wait for delivery then.

Just playing this now, about 6 hours into it. I enjoyed the first one despite the few well documented issues. Really enjoying it and its well worth the money. I find the combat slightly harder than the first one which is great as I thought the first one was a bit too easy.

What class are you playing as? I am stomping the shit out of everything as an Adept.

Soldier, I imported my Char from Mass effect 1 so just kept him as soldier. Its still not hard but at least I have died a couple of times in this game. In ME1 the combat was pretty much a procession.

Vanguard is where it's at :D

I'm going through Mass Effect again at the moment and getting a save to carry over to ME2.

I have to say, going back to ME made me appreciate the changes in ME2 a whole lot more. They really did improve on all aspects of the game.

Go with the flow. I'll say the Adept is a hell of a lot of fun though, its an awesome class to play as. You can play as Paragon (saint) or Renegade (asshole) too, Renegade has some genuine laugh out loud conversation options. Its really cool that Paragon or Renegade isnt forcing you to chose between good or evil either. You are basically choosing between charm and intimidation.

I finished the game last night, 26 hours (all but two minutes) and I think it is the best game I have played since Portal. Easily game of 2010 so far.

Go with the flow. I'll say the Adept is a hell of a lot of fun though, its an awesome class to play as. You can play as Paragon (saint) or Renegade (asshole) too, Renegade has some genuine laugh out loud conversation options. Its really cool that Paragon or Renegade isnt forcing you to chose between good or evil either. You are basically choosing between charm and intimidation.

I finished the game last night, 26 hours (all but two minutes) and I think it is the best game I have played since Portal. Easily game of 2010 so far.

I'm literally moist with anticipation now.

Rather interested in picking this up after Nayson's gushing but I must hold off. Plus, alongside Morrowind and everything else I have to play, I'm currently completing my degree in learning how the **** to play Civ IV.

Anyway, for those with an Xbox who are looking for some cheap Mass Effect 2 fun - £17.97 from Coolshop

A few tips on Adept if you want to know:

Adepts dont have mana, every spell they have is just on a cooldown.

Warp and Singularity are the things you want to level up first. Max them out. Warp is your main attack, its on a six second (I think) cooldown and it's a bit like a mortar. You can launch it over cover and get people who are hiding with a bit of practice.

Singularity is your crowd control. It's an AOE spell that you fire out. Everything within it will float helplessly, which is great for a number of reasons. The obvious one is they cant attack you while they are floating about, and your team mates will shoot the **** out of them while they are floating too. If you hit somebody with Warp while they are floating in a Singularity bubble then they will explode which will damage nearby enemies too.

When you max out a skill (level 4) then you get to chose a way to tweak it. I went for Heavy Warp as I wanted it to do as much damage as possible, then I took Wide Singularity as I wanted it to cover as big an area as possible. You can put Singularity near your team, at places where you think enemies will come from or just fire it at enemies and explode it. You can extend the time of Singularity if you want instead of expanding the area, but things tend not to live long enough for the extra duration to matter.

The next thing I maxed out was Biotic Mastery, which increases the damage and reduces the cooldowns of your attacks.

Shockwave is shit.

Throw and Pull are fun, though I didnt bother with either. By the time you have maxed out Warp, Singularity and Biotic Mastery you should be able to learn abilities of your squad mates and there is some really fun stuff to take from there. I dont think it matters what you take, I went for Warp Ammo, which led to Squad Warp Ammo, which meant my team did more damage to people I was zapping.

I'd always take one person who is a "soldier" type with you. Anybody with an Assault Rifle is good. Grunt and Zaieed (the free DLC guy) are probably the best, Grunt seems to be an out and out tank who is very difficult to kill while Zaieed has a bit more offensive power. I tended to take Grunt, mostly because I liked him.

The third character in your party can really be anybody. They are all good, so just take the one who you like the best. Some of them have very good dialogue. :)

Apart from having to find a fix for the mouse over-sensitivity issue (looks like it is quite a common problem for many people) this is all rather splendid. The combat is intuitive and robust and the storyline and characters are engaging. Very impressed so far.

I've just started a second play through. German Shepard this time, she looks like Bjork and she has a sniper rifle.

Cant say as I had any mouse issues, but I do have a rather swanky mouse of which you can adjust the sensitivity on the fly, but I think I played at 4000dpi the whole time.

Do you have Steam installed on your PC Si? You should link ME2 to it, then you can use the social features of it while you play. :)

Do you have Steam installed on your PC Si? You should link ME2 to it, then you can use the social features of it while you play. :)

I do indeed, and yes i'll do that.

Finished this over the weekend. I thought the main story arc was a bit short. Seemed like the weak second movie in a trilogy. Its still a good game and its left me eagerly waiting for Mass effect three.

Â