The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

16 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

AJ has looked very wary of getting hit since the klitschko fight after seeing his future legacy/earnings flash before his eyes when he was getting battered in the 6th/7th...

I still wonder why Klitschko didn’t finish him off in the 6th(?) round. A breathe of wind would have downed AJ at that point but he was allowed to recover.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I still wonder why Klitschko didn’t finish him off in the 6th(?) round. A breathe of wind would have downed AJ at that point but he was allowed to recover.

...because he's just too cautious pretty much since the first Sam Peter fight, it' not in his make up, his plan was to outbox Joshua from thereon in, and he was, although he was primed to get robbed on the judges cards had he seen the final bell.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I thought this was interesting.  I'm no boxologist (as evidenced by my reticence in this thread), but I am a fan from afar, and who doesn't like a list?

Click for full list.

Joshua 6th ???

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course it is Eddie...

Unless you think Frank Warren and his 7k capacity shows at the Copperbox Arena are the reason for the resurgence of boxing in the UK ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, West said:

Unless you think Frank Warren and his 7k capacity shows at the Copperbox Arena are the reason for the resurgence of boxing in the UK ?

Haha valod point. Although I like Warren more than Hearn. Hearn has such a ego and just loves drawing things out.

If I was a betting man i would say the reason the fight isnt happening is on hearns side not wilder s as he wants to build up the fight even more and get more £££

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Haha valod point. Although I like Warren more than Hearn. Hearn has such a ego and just loves drawing things out.

If I was a betting man i would say the reason the fight isnt happening is on hearns side not wilder s as he wants to build up the fight even more and get more £££

You would be hard pressed to find a boxing promoter who is universally loved. I remember the days of Duff, Barratt and Lawless. They had the whole shebang boxed ( pun unintended ) off. Them times Warren was doing the unlicensed circuit, promoting the likes of Lenny McLean. To be fair, he was like a breath of fresh air when he joined licensed boxing, Duff and his cronies hated the idea of this little upstart imposing on their, for want of a better word, racket, but Frank had his connections and wasn't easily intimidated. He became the top man, but, as they say, boxing's a dirty business and Frank has his stains too. I think he's had more law - suits than a tabloid, and let's not forget the Terry Marsh incident, that would make a great film.

I'm not saying Eddie Hearn is without his shenanigans, but he's certainly making a name for himself, and I like the fact he's upsetting the Yanks by signing some decent American fighters, credit where it's due.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Eddie gets some undue flack to be honest. If you watch his videos on IFL TV on YouTube he is a good guy. Sure he loves a pound note and he may elongate negotiations to protect/get the best deal for his fighters but that is what a good promoter does. 

He is current and understands modern boxing/business needs. Warren is stuck in the old days and is completely fixated with trying to undermine Matchroom, it is embarrassing. 

Just watch the promotion of this Wilder-Fury event. The build up will be an utter shambles...

Edited by West

• 3 weeks later...

A good month of boxing kicks off tonight.

Samuel Vargas is made to order for Khan. Khan should look sensational in outboxing him and likely getting a stoppage too. Vargas is limited in power and skill, he's fairly tough but what I've noticed, at least as far as his fights with Danny Garcia and Errol Spence are concerned, is that he goes into survival mode easily and becomes extremely negative. If he gets out of the early rounds with Khan he'll likely just potter around on his back foot.

Danny Garcia vs Shawn Porter. Probably happening too late for Porter. Not a fan of either, with Porter you know what you're gonna get, very 1D, a come forward rough and tumble guy who tries to get on your chest and then bang away. Garcia is the better puncher, much crisper and has better technique. Porter leaps in a lot and I imagine he'll leap into a number of left hooks. Porter has definitely had better days.and has looked thoroughly uninspiring in his last two fights against sub par competition. I expect Garcia to win.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A good month of boxing kicks off tonight.

Samuel Vargas is made to order for Khan. Khan should look sensational in outboxing him and likely getting a stoppage too. Vargas is limited in power and skill, he's fairly tough but what I've noticed, at least as far as his fights with Danny Garcia and Errol Spence are concerned, is that he goes into survival mode easily and becomes extremely negative. If he gets out of the early rounds with Khan he'll likely just potter around on his back foot.

Danny Garcia vs Shawn Porter. Probably happening too late for Porter. Not a fan of either, with Porter you know what you're gonna get, very 1D, a come forward rough and tumble guy who tries to get on your chest and then bang away. Garcia is the better puncher, much crisper and has better technique. Porter leaps in a lot and I imagine he'll leap into a number of left hooks. Porter has definitely had better days.and has looked thoroughly uninspiring in his last two fights against sub par competition. I expect Garcia to win.

I've had a bet on Vargas to beat Khan and Garcia to win via points, £5 returns £125, its a real long shot as far as Vargas is concerned, as you say he is made to order but it is Khan so you never know what will happen with him.

Garcia should be able to box rings around Porter, Porter will just try and bullrush Danny and make life uncomfortable for him but I can't see he having much success.

Khan is close to finished. What little punch resistance he had left has completely gone, got heavily dropped in round 2 and badly rocked in round 10 by a crude non-puncher. If he fights Brook or a top welterweight next, he gets put to sleep. He looked awful after round 2 tonight, last half of the fight he was sluggish and pushing his punches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LillisGotUsUp said:

I thought Khan did OK tonight, nothing amazing but it was never going to be. Looks like he’s got Manny next, big pay day but you worry for the lad.

That’s what I thought. He has the speed which probably makes him look better than he is. 

He did ok, the only person who looked like winning for the whole 12 rounds.

• Like 1

Â