The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Saul Alvarez gave Ryan Rhodes a bit of a kicking last night then.

Its amazing to think he is only 20 and has had 38 professional fights! I think he is a good fighter but still think when he fights someone like Martinez, they would kick the shit outta him!

No problem, Rob.

You could say so, Rev. Rhodes just couldn't pull the trigger and was taking plenty of punishment as a result.

Comparing him to Martinez is a bit harsh at age 20. Martinez kicks the shit outta most at the moment! Including Darren Barker in October.

Good night of Boxing on Saturday.

On Sky from 8:30:

-Kell Brook vs Lovemore N'Dou

-Felix Sturm vs Matthew Macklin (WBA strap)

and then on Premier Sports from 3am:

-Devon Alexander vs Lucas Matthysse

-Cornelius Bundrage vs Sechew Powell (IBF strap)

Anyone know if the Haye fight can be purchased on Virgin Media? Done a bit of searching but it doesn't look like it can be.

Yeah you can mate. It's done through the on demand section but can only be done on the day of the fight I think.

Would love to see Macklin win tonight.. odds are heavily stacked against him mind.

I wouldn't. War Sturm. :twisted:

Anyone know if the Haye fight can be purchased on Virgin Media? Done a bit of searching but it doesn't look like it can be.

Yeah you can mate. It's done through the on demand section but can only be done on the day of the fight I think.

Would love to see Macklin win tonight.. odds are heavily stacked against him mind.

I wouldn't. War Sturm. :twisted:

Just watched the fight. As a Birmingham Irishman, I would have loved Macklin's sheer heart and guts to have carried him through - don't think it was daylight robbery, but thought the scoring was a little unfair.

Where do you think the rematch will be?

Just watched the fight. As a Birmingham Irishman, I would have loved Macklin's sheer heart and guts to have carried him through - don't think it was daylight robbery, but thought the scoring was a little unfair.

Where do you think the rematch will be?

Certainly not a robbery in my eyes but it could have gone either way, the way boxing is you always knew which way it was going to go. The 116-112 cards were a bit of a joke but the margin doesn't really matter.

I'm not convinced there will be a rematch to be honest. It wouldn't be the first time someone promised one and then turned their back on it. If it does come off, don't expect Sturm to step foot out of Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to forget just how good Mike was during his absolute peak. If only he had lived right. If only Cus D'Amato had been 10 years younger. If only he had never met Don King eh? Who knows what he could have achieved.

It's easy to forget just how good Mike was during his absolute peak. If only he had lived right. If only Cus D'Amato had been 10 years younger. If only he had never met Don King eh? Who knows what he could have achieved.

I like the comment at the end "The only thing that can beat Mike Tyson, is Mike Tyson himself".

One of the things that was so good about that is that he had 28 fights in those first 20 months. Today the 'prospects' are far too inactive for my liking, especially in this country. Look at Frankie Gavin, just 8 fights in the same period as Tyson.

a Lewis video I saw the other day and liked. Interesting picture of Tyson and Lewis as kids in a gym together at the start. Good quote from Lewis at the end as well: "I'd love history to just speak it the way it is. I mean, I'm basically making my own history. My problem is, will they write it down correctly?"

a Lewis video I saw the other day and liked. Interesting picture of Tyson and Lewis as kids in a gym together at the start. Good quote from Lewis at the end as well: "I'd love history to just speak it the way it is. I mean, I'm basically making my own history. My problem is, will they write it down correctly?"

Speaking of Lewis, the Haye fight reminded me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZZTa2XUtVE.

Cheers. Cracking video.

There was a video on YouTube of Tyson talking to Harry Carpenter about o old fighters. It's not there anymore. Ten internets to anyone who can find it.

Oh dear... Henry the hugger... Haye wasn't that bad was he? :shock:
No where near, if anything Klitschko was doing the hugging. Which is why it made me laugh when everyone was acting like it was the worst fight ever. There's a long history of really bad heavyweight fights.

Oh dear... Henry the hugger... Haye wasn't that bad was he? :shock:
No where near, if anything Klitschko was doing the hugging. Which is why it made me laugh when everyone was acting like it was the worst fight ever. There's a long history of really bad heavyweight fights.

That's what happens when Sky and the press hype it up as if it's going to be a war. Wlad wasn't holding as much as usual to be fair.

I'm struggling to remember the last good heavyweight title fight. Brewster-Liakhovich?

Yeah but people should be expecting that by now, they'd even convinced people Haye vs Audley was going to be a good fight, if that didn't convince people not buy into the hype then I guess nothing will.

Brewster v Liakhovich is a good shout, was a fight that had pretty much no expectations around it as well, definitely took a lot of people by surprise.

There was a video on YouTube of Tyson talking to Harry Carpenter about o old fighters. It's not there anymore. Ten internets to anyone who can find it.

Aye, thats the one. I couldnt find it when I was looking, though in my defence I was searching from a phone!

Tyson is definitely a scholar of Boxing, there are quite a few videos of him talking about the history of the sport and he always comes across as an amazingly knowledgeable and intelligent guy. It is a genuine tragedy that he wasnt kept on the straight and narrow because if he was then he could have been the greatest.

Â