The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Had no idea Khan was fighting tonight. What a nothing fight. The ref didn’t even see the towel come in and was still going to count until he saw Khan’s men in the ring. 

Will the Brook fight ever happen? Surely he can’t fight Pac Man 

Dubois looked good again. Nice to actually see him get some rounds in a proper fight for a change. A bit wild & ragged at times but hes still only 21 and just hits people hard and they fall over. The difference in hand speed between him & joyce in the previous fight is ridiculous.

On 12/07/2019 at 22:37, mikeyp102 said:

Had no idea Khan was fighting tonight. What a nothing fight. The ref didn’t even see the towel come in and was still going to count until he saw Khan’s men in the ring. 

Will the Brook fight ever happen? Surely he can’t fight Pac Man 

I’m not sure it ever will. It’s years past it’s sell by date, Khan only fights for big purses. Apparently he earned more for this glorified spar than Brook got for his back to back hammerings at the hands of GGG and Spence. If Brook doesn’t bring any money to the table or any glory, what’s the point?  Khan’s probably got one more US PPV in him, certainly if it’s against a name like Pacquiao. 

• Like 1

Watched the Dubois fight again. Still don't think Gorman offered much in way of resistance but it's the most impressed I've been with Dubois to date. He's still got a long way to go but when you look at the ages of the top ten in the world he's got so much time on his side it's unreal. I'd like to see a big domestic fight with someone like Hughie within the year before he starts boxing at world level.  

12 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Watched the Dubois fight again. Still don't think Gorman offered much in way of resistance but it's the most impressed I've been with Dubois to date. He's still got a long way to go but when you look at the ages of the top ten in the world he's got so much time on his side it's unreal. I'd like to see a big domestic fight with someone like Hughie within the year before he starts boxing at world level.  

Hughie Fury is a great match up for DDD. Fury has no power so will not hurt him but has an awkward style/ decent enough footwork to really challenge Dubois' offence. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Bit annoying that we have to watch wilder against Ortiz again. Ortiz did rock wilder a Bit but I don't see how the second fight be any different form the first. 

I would have liked the fury migh to be next 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Bit annoying that we have to watch wilder against Ortiz again. Ortiz did rock wilder a Bit but I don't see how the second fight be any different form the first. 

I would have liked the fury migh to be next 

It's actually a really strange fight from Wilder's perspective. A big rematch lined up with Fury early next year and he has a rematch against the opponent who has hurt him the most in his entire professional career and gave him a lot of problems.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's actually a really strange fight from Wilder's perspective. A big rematch lined up with Fury early next year and he has a rematch against the opponent who has hurt him the most in his entire professional career and gave him a lot of problems.

Yes good points there.  It is a strange fight. It's a dangerous fight because you never know with Ortiz . But wilder although he seem to have being losing the fight he literally caught him once and it was game over.

Can't see anything different. One thing I respect wilder though is he doesn't avoid the big fights.

How do you see wilder-fury 2 going?

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes good points there.  It is a strange fight. It's a dangerous fight because you never know with Ortiz . But wilder although he seem to have being losing the fight he literally caught him once and it was game over.

Can't see anything different. One thing I respect wilder though is he doesn't avoid the big fights.

How do you see wilder-fury 2 going?

Will be changing my mind a lot on it but I'm edging towards Fury and this time by stoppage, but that said, would not at all be surprised if Fury get's knocked out. Even at his best Fury will give you an opportunity to land and Wilder really only needs one shot however in my mind I see Fury doing more to get in close on Wilder, use his size advantage to rough him up and land on the inside, the risk is that he gets caught coming in but Wilder is very weak on the inside and I expect Fury to exploit that.

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Will be changing my mind a lot on it but I'm edging towards Fury and this time by stoppage, but that said, would not at all be surprised if Fury get's knocked out. Even at his best Fury will give you an opportunity to land and Wilder really only needs one shot however in my mind I see Fury doing more to get in close on Wilder, use his size advantage to rough him up and land on the inside, the risk is that he gets caught coming in but Wilder is very weak on the inside and I expect Fury to exploit that.

I don't think fury has the power to ko wilder tbh. I can see him winning by points quite easily as he completely outboxed him first one .

But as you rightly say fury can leave himself exposed. But that was one mighty shot that fury got up from. I'm looking forward to that fight more than any fight.

Oh shitballs. Pernell Whittaker has died. Ran over by a car apparently.   Him and RJJ were probably my two favourite American fighters of the 90s. 😥

Â