The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

It's the belt Vitali vacated when he retired last year.   He isn't active anymore, he went into politics.  He's actually Mayor of Kiev these days. 

It depends on how they sell it.  I hope C5 don't take the ITV route and back "our boy" just because he was born here.   Golovkin is one of the most exciting fighters we have had in the past five years or so and C5 should invite the casual fan to enjoy watching him. 

They should sell for what it will be, fans like brutal knock outs, and Golovkin will brutally stop Murray. Murray is pretty tough and big for the weight so I expect him to get a beating for a fair few rounds.

• Like 1

Interesting to see Wilder say should he win the world belt (and that is a big if) then his first defence would be against Fury

Wilder - Stiverne is a good fight, definitely won't go the distance. Stiverne has lots of power and is a reasonable boxer, Wilder to me only has the big right hand and little else, but when he lands that punch it's night night. 

The height and reach difference between the two will be massive, so you wonder how Stiverne is going to get inside, I guess his best bet is to try to effectively counter the sloppy Wilder, and his counter punching is good. But then Wilder could will blow Stiverne out of there early on. Should be a fun fight regardless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some footage from the weigh-in

There's always been question marks about Wilder's chin, he was downed and hurt a couple of times early on in his pro-career against at best 'club' fighters. I never quite realised how light the guy is, 219lbs for someone who is almost 6 ft 7 is very, very light (compare that with Klitschko who at the same height generally comes into the ring at 240 ish). 

I always felt that Wilder had very skinny legs, that he was too top heavy, I'm pretty sure that if Stiverne gets off first Wilder will be going to sleep. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Froch has given up the belt to in his words "give DeGale a shot at the title". Think this all heads toward DeGale v Groves II at some point, hopefully with both as world champions.

Maybe Khan will soon realise he is behind Pacman in the pecking order for Mayweather and with them also scheduled to have a rematch he'd be best taking the Kell Brook fight in the summer.

So Froch has given up the belt to in his words "give DeGale a shot at the title".

He's supposed to be fighting Andre Dirrell for it as Groves wont agree a split, Dirrell of course was robbed in a fight against Froch several years ago, would be an intriguing fight both Degale and Dirrell are super talented.

Haven't listened to it yet, but an hour long interview with Naz

edit: 

fKIKwOC.jpg

Oh, and Mikkel Kessler retired this week.  He couldn't secure a rematch with Froch or Ward and says there is nothing out there which interests him.  Sad loss to the sport, he was one of the great fighters of the last decade. 

Edited by The_Rev

It's the belt Vitali vacated when he retired last year.   He isn't active anymore, he went into politics.  He's actually Mayor of Kiev these days. 

The other klitchko is balls deep in Hayden Panettiere

I've always liked Kessler, tough, powerful and an all round excellent puncher from a technical standpoint. He's definitely a standout boxer in what's a pretty young division (super middleweight). I'm not sure he has the resume to be considered a legit. 'great' but was certainly one of my favourites.  

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest box office fight since Tyson Lewis imo, and worth about as much to each fighters legacy as that one was too. Five years too late I think but I'm still really excited by the prospect of it.

It had been rumoured for a while now. Floyd put a Vine up of him negotiating with Manny in a hotel a few weeks ago and two weeks back on another forum I post on a guy said that the MGM Grand had hiked their room rates to $600 a night on May 2nd so people in the know obviously knew. You don't announce a fight as big as this as close to the date as this without already being in training either.

For me a 38 year old Floyd beats a 36 year old Manny on points. Wouldn't surprise me if it were wide either. It still won't resolve the 'who is best?' debate given the age of both fighters nowadays. I think the Manny of 2008-2011 (up to the demolition of Moseley) is more than a match for any Floyd Mayweather. This one who spends more time in politics than he does in the fight caper? Not so much.

Biggest box office fight since Tyson Lewis imo, and worth about as much to each fighters legacy as that one was too. Five years too late I think but I'm still really excited by the prospect of it.

It had been rumoured for a while now. Floyd put a Vine up of him negotiating with Manny in a hotel a few weeks ago and two weeks back on another forum I post on a guy said that the MGM Grand had hiked their room rates to $600 a night on May 2nd so people in the know obviously knew. You don't announce a fight as big as this as close to the date as this without already being in training either.

For me a 38 year old Floyd beats a 36 year old Manny on points. Wouldn't surprise me if it were wide either. It still won't resolve the 'who is best?' debate given the age of both fighters nowadays. I think the Manny of 2008-2011 (up to the demolition of Moseley) is more than a match for any Floyd Mayweather. This one who spends more time in politics than he does in the fight caper? Not so much.

It will likely be a joint Showtime/HBO production just like Tyson Lewis was. This will be bigger than Tyson Lewis in terms of PPV records, that's for sure. 

For what it's worth I see Pacquiao winning this fight, I'll post a detailed break down as to why later on. Pacquiao has the clear hand speed and footspeed/footwork advantage plus the awkward angles. Mayweather has struggled in the past against fast southpaws, effectively the shoulder roll defence does not work - see the Zab Judah fight as an example of that defence not working very well. Floyd will have to do something pretty radical IMO in terms of adjustments. 

I'm quite please to read that Pacquiao has the choice over his own gloves for this fight, a luxury that many recent Mayweather opponents haven't had. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â