The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

How on earth will he win a title at cruiserweight, it's a very good division and he's not big or strong enough to ply his trade there. I also doubt he would hold a shot from a proper cruiser, his chin isn't that good, he nearly got stopped by a light punching bum called Kuziemski.

Put it this way, I'd give him no chance against the best cruisers: Huck, Hernandez, Wlodarcyzk (who has big time power) or Jones. It's wrong to think he'd out work them when he'd be absorbing huge shots and getting hurt, also I have no idea whether you've watched much of Huck but outworking that guy is very difficult, he is extremely busy and throws a lot of punches per pound.

None of those guys are very good though. Huck is actually one of my favourite fighters but he isn't that good really. None of those guys have concussive ko power like kolavev either and Cleveley has said in the past he would like to move to cruiserweight one day.

Anyway gutted about mares... Fight wasn't on Boxnation either which is annoying. If rumours of goldenboy falling out with Boxnation are true that's the end of that channel sadly.

How on earth will he win a title at cruiserweight, it's a very good division and he's not big or strong enough to ply his trade there. I also doubt he would hold a shot from a proper cruiser, his chin isn't that good, he nearly got stopped by a light punching bum called Kuziemski.

Put it this way, I'd give him no chance against the best cruisers: Huck, Hernandez, Wlodarcyzk (who has big time power) or Jones. It's wrong to think he'd out work them when he'd be absorbing huge shots and getting hurt, also I have no idea whether you've watched much of Huck but outworking that guy is very difficult, he is extremely busy and throws a lot of punches per pound.

None of those guys are very good though. Huck is actually one of my favourite fighters but he isn't that good really. None of those guys have concussive ko power like kolavev either and Cleveley has said in the past he would like to move to cruiserweight one day.

Anyway gutted about mares... Fight wasn't on Boxnation either which is annoying. If rumours of goldenboy falling out with Boxnation are true that's the end of that channel sadly.

LOL these cruisers very big guys, they certainly have the power to hurt and stop Cleverly, Wlodarcyzk is an enormous puncher, Huck is more of an accumulation puncher but was able to stun Povetkin in a heavyweight bout one or two times so would certainly have enough to put the smaller Cleverly away and Hernandez is a better boxer than he is.

Cleverly is tall but built like a girl, his legs in particularly look like that of a chickens, he isn't big enough to hang with and take a good shot from a cruiser. Cleverly can move up to Cruiser if he wants but he won't do anything there.

The fact is Cleverly is not a good boxer, he has very little other than high energy and stamina. His jab isn't used effectively at all, he doesn't have good footwork so his movement is poor, he has no real intelligence so he's unable to adapt on the fly and crucially he doesn't have any power so would enable any top Cruiserweight to walk through him, that means he wouldn't out work anyone because his opponent will walk through his slaps and hurt him.

Mares, well that was shocking but thinking back Gonzales is a huge puncher at the weight and Mares is small for a featherweight... I heard Gonzales was like 9/1 LOL

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Abner Mares knocked out in round 1, cannot believe it! Premature stoppage IMO, he should have given the champion the chance to continue.

Yeah, I caught the replay this morning. It was a peach of left that did the damage but I was slightly surprised that the ref stopped it when it looked like Mares was getting up after the second knockdown but I don't think it was an incorrect stoppage. I guess the ref could tell he was gone from looking into his eyes.

Yeah just watched it again, the ref just stops at 3 believing Mares had nothing left, he should have at least given him the full count, I reckon he could have beat it and then the round would have ended thus giving him a minutes rest, Mares is very tough and has heart, he is the sort who could bounce back from a nightmare first round.

Refs like this deprive us of great fights, a ref like that would have ended Pacquiao - Marquez 1 in round one.

Mares though takes a very tough loss, he was gracing most peoples pound for pound top 10 lists, the question is now open as to whether he's big enough for Featherweight, a lot of people expected the power of Ponce De Leon to stop him, Gonzales well, has always been a big puncher but Mares was a huge betting favourite to win this one.

Mayweather vs Canelo: All Access episode 2 (Showtime's version of 24/7)

Nice to see that Mayweather is still a word removed.

Used to love these 24/7 shows but becoming stale now. Canelo is boring and seen the Mayweather act to many times now.

I'm surprised so many people picking garcia to beat mattyse. I'm more excited for that fight then floyds. Can't see anything but a standard floyd points victory

Used to love these 24/7 shows but becoming stale now. Canelo is boring and seen the Mayweather act to many times now.

I'm surprised so many people picking garcia to beat mattyse. I'm more excited for that fight then floyds. Can't see anything but a standard floyd points victory

I keep trying to make a case for Canelo but it's difficult, I think Floyd will win on points but it will be interesting to see how he copes with Canelo since he will have a good 15lb+ functional weight advantage over him on fight night. It's unlikely that Floyd will have felt heavier hands than Canelo's before, Canelo could get a lot of work done by just hitting Floyd on the arms, that will sap a lot away from his counters and open him up for some damage.

It's possible that Floyd will be surprised by Canelo's speed, Canelo is faster than a lot think, ok he's not a speedster but I think he has more speed and slickness than his opponents give him credit for, as Austin Trout remarked post fight. There's also the issue of how well Canelo takes Floyd's punch, I think Canelo will be wide open for the lead right hand that Floyd loves to throw so much but Canelo is that much bigger that it's very likely he'll hardly feel it and thus be able to walk Floyd down.

Again, I think Floyd wins this but I'm trying to build up Canelo in order to make the fight more exciting, I definitely agree that the Swift vs Matthysse fight is the more interesting one. I think people are picking Garcia because Matthysse is very open to counters and Garcia throws very big counter punches, not just from the left hook but also increasingly the right hand, which he is throwing a lot straighter and shorter than he used to (as we saw in his last fight with Judah). Still, I expect Matthysse to win by KO in something like round 10 or 11 but I don't expect him to have it his own way with Garcia quite possibly rocking him at some point.

Rocky V star (and former boxer hence posting in this thread), Tommy Morrison has died aged 44.

Sad times, he always argued his HIV infection which probably resulted in his premature death.

Why was he complete scum Dr P? I know he had some problems outside the ring (drunk driving and assault or something like that) is that what you are referring to? if so then that would leave a hell of a lot of boxers in that bracket.

I have to admit I'm not too sure on the whole AIDS thing, I always just thought he had it I never knew he said the results were wrong or something like that until I read up on it earlier, I know he had a few fights just a few years ago didn't he surely if you have aids you cant get in a boxing ring?

He was an all round nasty person and the fact that he was an open AIDS denialist made him dangerous. I remember seeing an interview with him where he has what appeared to be kaposi sarcoma lesions all over him, which is pretty common among AIDS sufferers. Overall the evidence against his HIV/AIDS is dodgy as it gets and well, dead  at 44 pretty much tells you the whole story, regardless as to how his family covers it up.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I keep trying to make a case for Canelo but it's difficult, I think Floyd will win on points but it will be interesting to see how he copes with Canelo since he will have a good 15lb+ functional weight advantage over him on fight night. It's unlikely that Floyd will have felt heavier hands than Canelo's before, Canelo could get a lot of work done by just hitting Floyd on the arms, that will sap a lot away from his counters and open him up for some damage.

It's possible that Floyd will be surprised by Canelo's speed, Canelo is faster than a lot think, ok he's not a speedster but I think he has more speed and slickness than his opponents give him credit for, as Austin Trout remarked post fight. There's also the issue of how well Canelo takes Floyd's punch, I think Canelo will be wide open for the lead right hand that Floyd loves to throw so much but Canelo is that much bigger that it's very likely he'll hardly feel it and thus be able to walk Floyd down.

A few other things that I think deserve to be mentioned with regards to Canelo

His head movement is also very underrated, I have seen him time and time again avoid punches by a whisker, I think it may have been the Trout fight where there was a brilliant gif going round after the fight showing it

Also when he has someone hurt he can throw a large variety of punches to get the job done.

I would love to see Canelo do it but I just can't look any further than a Mayweather win, one thing that Mayweather wont be able to do though will be sitting on the ropes and hiding behind his shoulder as you said Dr P if he does that then Canelo will be more than happy to go to town on his arms.

A few other things that I think deserve to be mentioned with regards to Canelo

His head movement is also very underrated, I have seen him time and time again avoid punches by a whisker, I think it may have been the Trout fight where there was a brilliant gif going round after the fight showing it

Also when he has someone hurt he can throw a large variety of punches to get the job done.

I would love to see Canelo do it but I just can't look any further than a Mayweather win, one thing that Mayweather wont be able to do though will be sitting on the ropes and hiding behind his shoulder as you said Dr P if he does that then Canelo will be more than happy to go to town on his arms.

Yes, his slickness is underrated but what he doesn't have at all is good foot-movement and that could be his undoing, Canelo is flat footed and from what I've seen he needs to have his feet firmly planted in order to get maximum power into his punches, he doesn't seem to have 'power on the move',by that I mean the sort of power where you can be on your front foot, moving forward, not necessarily well planted but still hurt your opponent with big shots - i.e. the likes of Golovkin and Kovalev. 

If Floyd moves a lot and makes Canelo continually have to reset his feet, he won't be able to get his big shots off and Floyd will cruise to victory. I firmly believe Canelo needs to cut the ring off and trap Floyd against the ropes, like Cotto did, and then unload, he has the power to hurt Floyd without having to catch him flush, and punishing Floyd to the arms would be a great tactic going down the stretch. 

Â