General Chat

Stevo985

I'm going to Leeds tomorrow for a university open day, anything to do in the city?

Drink.

Now ere's an interesting point, where is good to drink by the Uni in Leeds? As I'm taking the daughter to an Open Day there on Saturday and as I have no intention of getting bored shitless by academics and am not driving I will need to kill time

To anyone considering buying a huge, overpriced television - just admit to yourself you have a small cock and save yourself the money.

if you like your TV / home movies  etc I don't' see why people shouldn't buy whatever size they want tbh ...

I don't subscribe to 3D TV's at home , so kinda agree with your statement for those people  :) , but everyone else , long as the TV isn't the size of your living room , then go for it

A US inventor has invented an alarm clock which shreds money if you do not wake up in time...

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/17/new-alarm-clock-shreds-your-money-if-you-dont-wake-up-in-time-3844847/

I did not know it was illegal to destroy money in America

Surely if you earn money and its yours you can do what you want with it?

I don't think it is illegal .. the law in question is about defacing , damaging etc  with the intent to defraud

if you destroy it and don't attempt to defraud then you are not breaking in law  ... though you are slightly mental   !!

I'm going to Leeds tomorrow for a university open day, anything to do in the city?

Drink.

Now ere's an interesting point, where is good to drink by the Uni in Leeds? As I'm taking the daughter to an Open Day there on Saturday and as I have no intention of getting bored shitless by academics and am not driving I will need to kill time

Hmmm. As you can imagine, I once spend an inordinate amount of time drinking in pubs near the University. But as you can probably also imagine, I haven't done so for many years, as student pubs don't have the appeal they once had!

The nearest 'trad' pubs would be The Fenton, The Eldon and The Packhorse. All USED to be OK, but I make no guarantees. Additionally, there are endless newer 'yoof'-oriented places, but on them I cannot comment.

Edited by mjmooney

Drink.

Hmmm. As you can imagine, I once spend an inordinate amount of time drinking in pubs near the University. But as you can probably also imagine, I haven't done so for many years, as student pubs don't have the appeal they once had!

The nearest 'trad' pubs would be The Fenton, The Eldon and The Packhorse. All USED to be OK, but I make no guarantees. Additionally, there are endless newer 'yoof'-oriented places, but on them I cannot comment.

Those are all still in operation and still fine pubs (or at least they were a couple of years ago), although all rather studenty so not sure it meets Bicks' criteria.

A US inventor has invented an alarm clock which shreds money if you do not wake up in time...

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/17/new-alarm-clock-shreds-your-money-if-you-dont-wake-up-in-time-3844847/

I did not know it was illegal to destroy money in America

Surely if you earn money and its yours you can do what you want with it?

How pathetically low-tech. Shredding dollar bills?

It would be much better if it was connected to your bank account, and deducted money online.

• Like 1

I've always wondered what would happen if everybody worldwide turned everything they owned into cash and simultaneously burnt it

I know its an insane notion and would never happen but theoretically what would happen would world markets crash and go into meltdown?

Am i right in thinking it would be a massive victory to the poorer people as i suppose everybody overnight would become equal?

I've always wondered what would happen if everybody worldwide turned everything they owned into cash and simultaneously burnt it

I know its an insane notion and would never happen but theoretically what would happen would world markets crash and go into meltdown?

Am i right in thinking it would be a massive victory to the poorer people as i suppose everybody overnight would become equal?

What's the point of being equal, if everyone's poor?

(communist) ;)

I'd like to know what would happen if all wealth actually were distributed equally.

My gut feeling is that the vast majority of people would be better off, only a few mega rich types would have less.

But I wouldn't know where to begin with the maths.

I'd like to know what would happen if all wealth actually were distributed equally.

My gut feeling is that the vast majority of people would be better off, only a few mega rich types would have less.

way I look at it the poor people would only spend it on booze and fags so it's better off if the rich people keep it ....

Edited by tonyh29

To anyone considering buying a huge, overpriced television - just admit to yourself you have a small cock and save yourself the money.

Sharp brings giant-sized 90in TV to Europe By Leo Kelion Technology reporter
_68217884_car.jpgOwners will need to be able to sit at least 3.5m away from the new screen to appreciate its picture

Sharp has released what it says is the biggest LED TV ever to go on sale in Europe.

The Aquos LC-90LE757 features a 90in (229cm) screen, trumping an 84in display from LG.

Sharp has offered the size in the US since June 2012 - the world's biggest market for jumbo-TVs - but said it now believed there was demand in the UK and rest of Europe for such a set.

One analyst said the local market was indeed growing, but remained "niche".

Fifty inch-and-larger TVs represent 6% of units currently sold in the UK, according to research firm GfK. However, it adds that the sector accounts for 16% of the sector's value due to the premium prices they command.

The trend is even more advanced in the US. According to the Consumer Electronics Association, 8% of all TVs sold in the country feature screens 60in or larger.

"In the States people have bigger houses and bigger rooms, so large TVs represent a larger proportion of the marketplace," GfK's Nigel Catlow told the BBC.

"But as the TVs get thinner, more rooms are able to take a big TV set, and screen size is the biggest driver for making people want to buy a new product."

Sharp posted a 545bn yen ($5.7bn; £3.7bn) net loss in its last financial year. It has since said that it is pursuing high shares of relatively small markets as part of its turnaround strategy.

Pixel scaffolding

Sharp's new display is based on LED (light-emitting diode) technology, weighs 64kg (141lb), and is less than 12cm (4.7in) deep.

_68225968_water.jpgThe product's release comes a year after Sharp put a 90in TV on sale in the US

It supports 3D broadcasts, has three tuners - allowing several channels to be watched at once - and also offers a "wallpaper mode", which can display a static picture at a low brightness level when it is not otherwise in use.

The firm says owners need to sit at least 3.5m (11.5ft) away to enjoy its picture.

"The biggest challenge we had was to try to hide the framework that is encasing the screen's pixels," explained Sharp's UK product manager, Tommaso Monetto.

"We used a technology called Fred [frame rate enhanced driving] to minimise the structure holding the pixels together so that you hardly see the lines between them, and it becomes a seamless panel when you look at it from the front."

In the past, Sharp and other firms' 3D TVs created a different image for each viewer's eye by sending two signal lines from the device's motherboard to the display. The firm's proprietary Fred technology uses a single signal line driven at a higher speed to provide the necessary information, minimising the amount of wiring and electrical components needed.

"The plan is definitely to go bigger," Mr Monetto added.

"The long-term view is that eventually you will have entire walls that are made out of LCDs, and you can allocate different spaces for different usage. Part will be used for TV signals, part for surfing the internet and part to show pictures."

Panasonic does sell even bigger displays, offering 103in and 152in screens.

However, they are based on plasma technology making them thicker and heavier than Sharp's LED model. They are also several times the price and Panasonic pitches them at the professional market rather than at consumers.

4K v 1080p

Sharp opted to make its screen support 1080p video and not the ultra high definition 4K format which uses four times as many pixels.

_62424354_44.jpgLG's 4K TV screen is 6in smaller than Sharp's new product, but owners can sit closer to it

The advantage of the higher definition format is that owners can sit closer to their screen, allowing a smaller set to take up more of their field of view - and thus appear more immersive - than a larger one limited to 1080p resolution.

Sharp said it took the decision because there was a current lack of 4K content.

It has also allowed it to keep its price down. Sharp's new set costs about £12,000 compared to the £17,000 charged for LG's 84in Ultra HD LED model.

Even so, at that price its appeal may still be limited.

"You won't get serious sales volume until you get below around £2,000 to £3,000," said GfK's Mr Catlow.

"However, it will open up a bigger market because there have been some 70in and 84in sets out there that were recently selling for £20,000."

BBC

Sharp brings giant-sized 90in TV to Europe

By Leo Kelion Technology reporter

_68217884_car.jpgOwners will need to be able to sit at least 3.5m away from the new screen to appreciate its picture

Sharp has released what it says is the biggest LED TV ever to go on sale in Europe.

The Aquos LC-90LE757 features a 90in (229cm) screen, trumping an 84in display from LG.

Sharp has offered the size in the US since June 2012 - the world's biggest market for jumbo-TVs - but said it now believed there was demand in the UK and rest of Europe for such a set.

One analyst said the local market was indeed growing, but remained "niche".

Fifty inch-and-larger TVs represent 6% of units currently sold in the UK, according to research firm GfK. However, it adds that the sector accounts for 16% of the sector's value due to the premium prices they command.

The trend is even more advanced in the US. According to the Consumer Electronics Association, 8% of all TVs sold in the country feature screens 60in or larger.

"In the States people have bigger houses and bigger rooms, so large TVs represent a larger proportion of the marketplace," GfK's Nigel Catlow told the BBC.

"But as the TVs get thinner, more rooms are able to take a big TV set, and screen size is the biggest driver for making people want to buy a new product."

Sharp posted a 545bn yen ($5.7bn; £3.7bn) net loss in its last financial year. It has since said that it is pursuing high shares of relatively small markets as part of its turnaround strategy.

Pixel scaffolding

Sharp's new display is based on LED (light-emitting diode) technology, weighs 64kg (141lb), and is less than 12cm (4.7in) deep.

_68225968_water.jpgThe product's release comes a year after Sharp put a 90in TV on sale in the US

It supports 3D broadcasts, has three tuners - allowing several channels to be watched at once - and also offers a "wallpaper mode", which can display a static picture at a low brightness level when it is not otherwise in use.

The firm says owners need to sit at least 3.5m (11.5ft) away to enjoy its picture.

"The biggest challenge we had was to try to hide the framework that is encasing the screen's pixels," explained Sharp's UK product manager, Tommaso Monetto.

"We used a technology called Fred [frame rate enhanced driving] to minimise the structure holding the pixels together so that you hardly see the lines between them, and it becomes a seamless panel when you look at it from the front."

In the past, Sharp and other firms' 3D TVs created a different image for each viewer's eye by sending two signal lines from the device's motherboard to the display. The firm's proprietary Fred technology uses a single signal line driven at a higher speed to provide the necessary information, minimising the amount of wiring and electrical components needed.

"The plan is definitely to go bigger," Mr Monetto added.

"The long-term view is that eventually you will have entire walls that are made out of LCDs, and you can allocate different spaces for different usage. Part will be used for TV signals, part for surfing the internet and part to show pictures."

Panasonic does sell even bigger displays, offering 103in and 152in screens.

However, they are based on plasma technology making them thicker and heavier than Sharp's LED model. They are also several times the price and Panasonic pitches them at the professional market rather than at consumers.

4K v 1080p

Sharp opted to make its screen support 1080p video and not the ultra high definition 4K format which uses four times as many pixels.

_62424354_44.jpgLG's 4K TV screen is 6in smaller than Sharp's new product, but owners can sit closer to it

The advantage of the higher definition format is that owners can sit closer to their screen, allowing a smaller set to take up more of their field of view - and thus appear more immersive - than a larger one limited to 1080p resolution.

Sharp said it took the decision because there was a current lack of 4K content.

It has also allowed it to keep its price down. Sharp's new set costs about £12,000 compared to the £17,000 charged for LG's 84in Ultra HD LED model.

Even so, at that price its appeal may still be limited.

"You won't get serious sales volume until you get below around £2,000 to £3,000," said GfK's Mr Catlow.

"However, it will open up a bigger market because there have been some 70in and 84in sets out there that were recently selling for £20,000."

BBC

That's the story CED's comment was aimed at ;)

Anyone up for piling all our life savings on Spain beating Tahiti for free money? :D

What are the odds on a Spain win?

Best odds you'll get are 1/100. Some bookies (victor) are not taking bets at all.

I'd back them with a -10 handicap. Spain like breaking records and this could be any score. I'm not ruling out upwards of 20-0. The only thing that would stop that would be Spain taking pity on them.

Those are all still in operation and still fine pubs (or at least they were a couple of years ago), although all rather studenty so not sure it meets Bicks' criteria.

Real Ale and "studenty" is perfectly fine, by academics I meant lecturers giving talks on the pharmamacolgy of ritalin given to lab rats or something (I looked all the talks seemed dullsville

Real Ale and "studenty" is perfectly fine, by academics I meant lecturers giving talks on the pharmamacolgy of ritalin given to lab rats or something (I looked all the talks seemed dullsville

In that case go for Mooney's suggestion.

They're easily walking distance from the main entrance of the uni. Follow the main road towards Headingley and you can't miss them.

Â