General Chat

Stevo985

Anyone see Clark Carlisle on countdown?

Teammates was on Soccer AM last Saturday, apparently he has one some award for the cleverest footballer.

Why do people always one instead of won? :evil:

One of my pet hates. They don't even sound the same, or remotely mean the same thing!!

From what I've seen of the format, Countdown looks like one of the few British game shows that could rival Jeopardy! in sheer awesomeness.
Countdown is a French invention.

Teammates was on Soccer AM last Saturday, apparently he has one some award for the cleverest footballer.

One of my pet hates. They don't even sound the same, or remotely mean the same thing!!

Ah, one of my favourite debates. I don't know if it's a Brummie thing, but I pronounce "won" and "one" completely differently - "won" to rhyme with "gun", but "one" to rhyme with "on".

My wife insists that this is wrong - she says that they should both be pronounced the same way - to rhyme with "gun".

Ah, one of my favourite debates. I don't know if it's a Brummie thing, but I pronounce "won" and "one" completely differently - "won" to rhyme with "gun", but "one" to rhyme with "on".

My wife insists that this is wrong - she says that they should both be pronounced the same way - to rhyme with "gun".

I agree with you. I think sayin "one" to rhyme with "gun" is a northern thing.

Could just be a bbrummy thing though, like the mom/mum debate.

Either way, still annoying. (Sorry to pick on you Hanky ;) )

I agree with you. I think sayin "one" to rhyme with "gun" is a northern thing.

Could just be a bbrummy thing though, like the mom/mum debate.

Dunno about Northern. My missus is from Exeter, and has a fairly "posh" accent.

I've always pronounced 'One' and 'Won' differently as well. One is an odd word actually, it isn't spelt the way it's pronounced seemingly. In fact the way I would say one (rhyming with on) would probably make more sense if it was spelt 'won'.

Prouncing it 'wun' just sounds like you're a bit retarded.

I'm with Stevo and the Moonster.

One to ryhme with On, as i W-on.

Won as in Wun, to rhyme with gun.

TBH i don't know too many people that pronounce it differently, other than that arse Big Fat Chris Moyles

Prouncing it 'wun' just sounds like you're a bit retarded.

TBH i don't know too many people that pronounce it differently, other than that arse Big Fat Chris Moyles

:lol:

chinders FTW. :nod:

I'm fairly southern and I pronounce one and won practically the same. Pronouncing one as w-on is a black country thing IMO ;)

Chindie has just called you a retard Laura.

:lol: :winkold:

You've got me searching youtube watching kids learn to count videos trying to hear this elusive one that rhymes with gun. I hate you.

just listen to chris moyles. I know it'll make your ears bleed, but he says it all the time

You've got me searching youtube watching kids learn to count videos trying to hear this elusive one that rhymes with gun. I hate you.

Can't you just imagine it? 'Score was 1-0'. Phonetically said: 'Score was wun nil'. Welsh people say it as well as Fat Moyles

Â