General Chat

Stevo985

Do we think there is a planet like Earth in every solar system?

We know that there isn't. In fact it's only very recently (i.e. they're very very far away) that we've found any earth-like candidates. So no, while we're not unique, we have up to now been quite rare.

Expand Bri? What has been discovered recently?

A question...

The sun we see everyday is a star. Each solar system has a central point being a star or 'sun'. So for every star we see in the night sky, im guessing that that star is a sun for a solar system? For every solar system thaere will be planets orbiting that sun. Do we think there is a planet like Earth in every solar system?

Aw jeez, there's ahuge body of literature on this.

The answer so far appears to be "mostly, no". But they have come across one or two outside bets, and more will probably turn up.

According to a BBC article in the last week we're now up to 80-odd candidates.
Well, there ya go.

A question...

The sun we see everyday is a star. Each solar system has a central point being a star or 'sun'. So for every star we see in the night sky, im guessing that that star is a sun for a solar system? For every solar system thaere will be planets orbiting that sun. Do we think there is a planet like Earth in every solar system?

The answer so far appears to be "mostly, no". But they have come across one or two outside bets, and more will probably turn up.

Well, there ya go.

So basically at the moment there are some 80-odd possibles? How have the proved that there arnt any so far?

We know that there isn't. In fact it's only very recently (i.e. they're very very far away) that we've found any earth-like candidates. So no, while we're not unique, we have up to now been quite rare.

Here.

And Mike my numbers were slightly off. Instead of 80-odd it's 68 earth-sized of which 54 are candidates.

I knew I could sense a Yillan around me somwhere over there but as I didn't have a clue what you looked like, it failed miserably... Eye contact should have been made... It would have been the highlight of my trip...

Oh, went into the family fun day thing in the academy, they had a life size John Carew on the wall with a question beside it, are you taller than Big John... I stood beside it and I was.... Epic!

So you were unaware of all of this?

We stood outside a bathroom/wudu together. Then waited for the airport shuffle together. Then got onto the same carriage together. And sat across from each other (together).

I really do live inside my own head. You were wearing a red jacket. Your friend I think had an English accent and was unshaven. He had black hair and was considerably shorter than you. Am I close?

I would say that was me alright! He had a Dublin accent though and was smaller than me. I had a Black jacket on with large red stripe down the side. You probably did see me. You should have spoken up!

One of the reasons I've never been able to accept that there is no intelligent designer behind our Solar system and the Universe is the uniqueness of the Moon in relation to the Sun from the perspective of the Earth.

It just seems too much of a coincidence to me that the Sun just happens to be 400 times the size of the Moon, whilst at the same time being 400 X the distance.....hence the reason - we can see solar eclipses in all their glory. Any other size or distance would have made this impossible. ..

Here.

And Mike my numbers were slightly off. Instead of 80-odd it's 68 earth-sized of which 54 are candidates.

Very very interesting. So there are some 54 (so far) possibles. That is really exciting. :)

A question...

Well, there ya go.

So basically at the moment there are some 80-odd possibles? How have the proved that there arnt any so far?

Fairly technical explanation here.

Wikipedia article

One of Saturn's moons is apparently a candidate for life.

Not life like us, as the surface liquid there is liquid methane, not water. Nevertheless, it seems to have all the conditions to suport life, they'd just have had to have evolved to live on Methane instead of water, which is possible.

One of the reasons I've never been able to accept that there is no intelligent designer behind our Solar system and the Universe is the uniqueness of the Moon in relation to the Sun from the perspective of the Earth.

It just seems too much of a coincidence to me that the Sun just happens to be 400 times the size of the Moon, whilst at the same time being 400 X the distance.....hence the reason - we can see solar eclipses in all their glory. Any other size or distance would have made this impossible. ..

Is there a scientist in the house? This screams "inductive fallacy" to me, but I'm probably not the best person to try and explain. If it's explained, would it shake your faith?

BTW We had some JWs round at the house yesterday.

Luckily for them my wife answered the door. She told them to go away fairly politely. :lol:

Our newest signing.

Ahhh.... The Michael to Mike thing hadn't sunk in yet...

No I didn't see him nor Lichaj nor Herd as I was in the Pub by 1pm.. Was only in the fun day for about 10 minutes.. Wasn't that much to keep us there.

Is there a scientist in the house? This screams "inductive fallacy" to me, but I'm probably not the best person to try and explain. If it's explained, would it shake your faith?

Having watched the Beebs' programme last week all about the Moon - the black lady presenter reminded the viewers of this, even though her perspective was entirely different on the origins of the Moon & the Sun etc etc

I'm presuming you would have been no less polite had you answered the door yesterday Mike?!!!

Hmm? Hmm?

Having watched the Beebs' programme last week all about the Moon - the black lady presenter reminded the viewers of this, even though her perspective was entirely different on the origins of the Moon & the Sun etc etc

I'm presuming you would have been no less polite had you answered the door yesterday Mike?!!!

Hmm? Hmm?

Awww, you know me Julie, I'm just a big pussycat. :winkold:

I AM seriously considering printing up some atheist pamphlets to hand out to religious doorsteppers, though.

Oh yeah, that astronomer on the moon programme. Very PC - female, black and disabled (I believe she is dyslexic). If she turns out to be lesbian too, that's a full house. :lol:

Â