Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought it was standard Lennon to be honest, he isn't really a footballer he is an athlete in football boots. He can run fast but in terms of a football brain he isn't on the same level as the players around him and at times like last night he is exposed for being exactly that. It isn't so much that he can't cross (although he can't) it is more that he just doesn't see the game the way others do, the instinct isn't there, by the time he thinks about it the moment has passed.

That is almost word for word what they said yesterday and they made the comparison with Theo Walcott, and I have to agree, although I would probably have him in the villa team at this moment. He does do the occasional brilliance like the wing play for Crouch's goal in the san siro last season. The way Van Der Vaart started biting his shirt though :shock: , was a bit crazy. As for Van Der Vaart, he is an awesome player, was totally surprised he even went to Spurs, should be playing for a top champions league team.

There is a similarity to Walcott and I almost mentioned him in my previous post but I do think there is a small degree of seperation between the two in that Walcott has the brain to see things just not the ability to always make them happen.

As for VDV he is a very talented player but as BOF pointed out he is one that needs a side built around him in order to excel and that is often to the detriment to other players. He isn't quite brilliant enough to warrant this at a top CL side which is why he failed at Madrid. At Spurs to get the best out of him they have had to change the whole set up of the side and its seen Defoe lose his place and form, that is fine at Spurs but it just wouldn't happen at the top CL clubs for a player of VDV's level, for that you'd need to be well a Messi.

Anyone else think shooting at every opportunity at De Gea last night from outside the box was a tactic that Spuds got wrong?

The more shots they tried and failed with, the more the 20yr old's confidence seemed to grow.

Yeah, the only time De Gea looked a little suspect was the cross he misjudged that lead to Defoe volleying against the post and the spill that he was quick to pounce on anyway. Sort of ties back to the earlier point on v.d.Vaart as well, as soon as he got pissed off he was just shooting at every opportunity with little effect. De Gea's distribution was also much improved, somewhat back to the level he had at Atlético when he wasted very little.

I've thought the above about Walcott too.

I have a friend who is adamant that Walcott will develop into "the next Henry"

I keep telling him there's no chance, he just doesn't have the brain for it, despite being obviously talented.

Anyone else think shooting at every opportunity at De Gea last night from outside the box was a tactic that Spuds got wrong?

The more shots they tried and failed with, the more the 20yr old's confidence seemed to grow.

He spilled Huddlestones shot in the last couple of minutes. And a few minutes before that he struggled with a cross and Defoe hit the post. I thought he looked pretty shakey throughout, it's just we didn't really have many good long shots. I think a team with a proper central midfield and a striker who is strong in the air, could get closer to goal more fequently and expose De Gea more. I'm sure he's a good GK, but I'd expect to see a few more iffy performances in the coming weeks. We gave him a fairly easy time and he still looked like he had mistakes in him.

Gabby offers more than Defoe and so does Heskey(ask any England manager)

I disagree, I think Defoe offers more. I think if all 3 played the same amount of games getting the same quality of service, Defoe would comfortably score more then Heskey and Agbonlahor.

Gabby offers more than Defoe and so does Heskey(ask any England manager)

I disagree, I think Defoe offers more. I think if all 3 played the same amount of games getting the same quality of service, Defoe would comfortably score more then Heskey and Agbonlahor.

Yes but you aren't comparing like for like. Bent and Defoe are similar in that they are largely just goal scorers out of the two I have always rated Bent as the better goal scorer.

In Gabby and Heskey we have two players who clearly aren't as good a goal scorers as Defoe but offer other strengths and contribute in other ways, something Defoe doesn't really do.

So I agree Heskey and Gabby offer more of an all round game than Defoe even if they don't score as many goals.

Â