Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Those rankings are stupid (not referring to Spurs). Had a look for the ones this year and while in the same pot, how can Chelsea be ranked a whole seven points ahead of Man Utd?

It goes based on the five previous years of European performance.

2004-05: Man Utd go out in the round of 16 to Milan while Chelsea made it to the semifinals (Chelsea got eight more points than Man Utd for that season)

2005-06: Man Utd finish bottom of their group while Chelsea went out in the round of 16 (Chelsea got five more points than Man Utd)

2006-07: Chelsea and Man Utd both went out in the same stage, however Chelsea got more points in the group stage (Chelsea got one more point than Man Utd)

2007-08: Man Utd defeats Chelsea in the final (Man Utd got four more points than Chelsea)

2008-09: Man Utd makes it to the final while Chelsea go out in the semis (Man Utd got three more points than Chelsea)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... if we or spuds get it then i really dont know what will happen next season (the qualifying round could be incredibly hard IMO, us/spuds vs the likes of valencia or milan) ...

Spurs would be a seeded team (based on coefficient rankings), which as things stand right now would mean we'd most likely face one of the following in the CL playoff round that precedes entrance into the CL proper:

Basel

Bayer Leverkusen

Palermo

Auxerre

Mallorca

Of course this is getting way ahead of things, obviously because Spurs might not finish in 4th, but over two legs I don't see any team there that Spurs wouldn't be favourites to beat.

Spurs fans checking the probable games in the champions league already.

... if we or spuds get it then i really dont know what will happen next season (the qualifying round could be incredibly hard IMO, us/spuds vs the likes of valencia or milan) ...

Spurs would be a seeded team (based on coefficient rankings), which as things stand right now would mean we'd most likely face one of the following in the CL playoff round that precedes entrance into the CL proper:

Basel

Bayer Leverkusen

Palermo

Auxerre

Mallorca

Of course this is getting way ahead of things, obviously because Spurs might not finish in 4th, but over two legs I don't see any team there that Spurs wouldn't be favourites to beat.

Spurs fans checking the probable games in the champions league already.

To be fair he probably nicked it off a post I made yesterday in the Race for 4th thread...

Basel

Bayer Leverkusen

Palermo

Auxerre

Mallorca

The season isn't even over, those are just projections and the teams could all change. It could be Lyon instead of Auxerre, Sevilla instead of Mallorca, Fiorentina or Juventus instead of Palermo, or Bremen instead of Bayer Leverkusen. You might not be seeded if you do make it.

Spurs are the best of a bad bunch

Not for me. Spurs are the worst of the worst bunch.

I'd rather anyone (except SHA) got 4th than them. I'd rather the top 4 was monopolised for ever than Spurs get it.

This. Well, it would be a close run thing between Spurs and Newcastle, but we put to bed any chance of them being able to get 4th last season.

I'm far more interested in what gives us the best chance of getting Champions League next season than what Spurs fans think of themselves or their team.

Saying that you'd rather the top 4 was monopolised than they get it once is more bitter than a 29 year old lemon with 4 kids and no husband. Talk about cutting your own nose off to spite your face.

If I could pick a team from ours and Spurs squads...

----------------------Friedel--------------------------

L.Young-------Dunne------Cuellar------------Bale

----------------Palacios----------------------------

Lennon------------------Modric------------A.Young

----------------Gabby------Defoe------------------

If I could pick a team from ours and Spurs squads...

----------------------Friedel--------------------------

L.Young-------Dunne------Cuellar------------Bale

----------------Palacios----------------------------

Lennon------------------Modric------------A.Young

----------------Gabby------Defoe------------------

Would have Pavlyuchenko or Carew ahead of Defoe. As for Palacios a truly awful player i think would rather Huddlestone, NRC or a disciplined Milner ahead of him actually would have Sidwell ahead of him

Interesting that you opt for Friedel over Gomes. I can understand why given the terrible first 6 months he had, but since then hasn't he done enough to convince non Spurs fans yet? What does he have to do to be considered the best in the Prem? Other than making more saves and conceding less goals than other keepers, what can he do to convince people that he's world class? Hiddink says he's the best in the world and his record in Holland and for us this season suggests he isn't far away from that, yet the average non Spurs fan still tends to think he's pretty average. I think this is because everythime he makes a mistake the commentators go and about how he's done it again due to awful start with us. But ultimately a GK is there to prevent goals and it's hard to argue that any GK in the Prem has done a better job than Gomes this season. Friedel makes great saves, but the only GK in the Prem with a better save percentage is Gomes. And ultimately Gomes has only conceded an average of 0.72 goals per game, which is comfortably ahead of the rest of the Prems keepers. For the rest of his career commentators are sure to highlight any mistakes he makes, but this shouldn't take away from the fact he prevents more goals being scored than any other GK in the league and thus surely he should be recognised as one of the best.

As for Palacios a truly awful player i think would rather Huddlestone, NRC or a disciplined Milner ahead of him actually would have Sidwell ahead of him

I hope you're open to the possibility that you might be wrong on that one. Palacios is one of their best players.

This makes the rather silly assumption that Ledley King would actually be fit. But, IF he was then he'd be in the side.

Friedel

L.Young King Dunne Bale

Palacios
Lennon Milner A.Young

Modric

Defoe[/code]

As for Palacios a truly awful player i think would rather Huddlestone, NRC or a disciplined Milner ahead of him actually would have Sidwell ahead of him

I hope you're open to the possibility that you might be wrong on that one. Palacios is one of their best players.

I know other people have different opinions but have never got the hype about Palacios. He cant tackle very well, passing is awful and his shooting is non existant. He makes NRC look like Xavi

This makes the rather silly assumption that Ledley King would actually be fit. But, IF he was then he'd be in the side.

Friedel

L.Young   King   Dunne   Bale

Palacios

Lennon       Milner    A.Young

Modric

Defoe

The problem with that team is that Defoe can't play as the lone striker. If you were gonna play that formation, Pavlyuchenko or Gudjohnsen would work better, as they've both shown they're much better at linking up with Modric.

I know other people have different opinions but have never got the hype about Palacios. He cant tackle very well, passing is awful and his shooting is non existant. He makes NRC look like Xavi

He's a very good tackler. His tackling and ability to hussle the opposition has been one of the key strengths to Tottenham's form since he joined.

His passing, for the most part is fine. He's just prone to one or two stupid passes straight to the opposition every game. If he can just cut those few wayward passes out, people would probably view him a little differently.

I agree that he's not much for shooting. But then, he wasn't bought for his ability to score from 30 yards out. To be honest, I'd be expecting more goals from Huddlestone than Palacios from the central midfielders.

I don't follow... so Gomes is better than one of the best goalkeepers the Premier League has ever seen just because he's mastered on learning how to catch a football? Friedel isn't even in his prime anymore and he is 39 and is still better than Gomes... lol.

I can understand why somebody may argue as to having Defoe over Carew or Gabby or something, but Gomes over Friedel? I can't even believe this is being debated. Friedel is consistantly brilliant every season and rarely makes any mistakes. Gomes is a keeper who's been in England for less than 2 years and was arguably the worst keeper in the league for half that time.

I can understand why somebody may argue as to having Defoe over Carew or Gabby or something, but Gomes over Friedel? I can't even believe this is being debated. Friedel is consistantly brilliant every season and rarely makes any mistakes. Gomes is a keeper who's been in England for less than 2 years and was arguably the worst keeper in the league for half that time.

Try and tell that to spurs fans :lol:

Friedel

L.Young   King   Dunne   Bale

Palacios

Lennon       Milner    A.Young

Modric

Gabby

This personally, better on his own upfront, strong, loads of pace, brings people into the game and as we have seen time and time again, one of the best strikers in this role in the Premiership for me.

Â