America

maqroll

What best describes your feelings about the US of A?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your feelings about the US of A?

• Love America
    • Like America
    • Couldn't Care Less About America
    • Hate America
    • Like America, Hate Americans
    • Hate America, Like Americans
    • Bored With America
    • World is Better Off with America
    • World is Better Off Without America
    • Why Do They Use the Letter "Z" Inappropriately?

If america was an animal, i'd have sex with it.
This - but up the wrong un

People are confused with the good ol US of A

They like to go there, they enjoy the country, they partake.

But.

And there is a big but - they hate the the politics of US of A, including the arrogance and / or ignorance that they would title a thread "America" when it is only about one little country in America - it's much bigger than the USA.

But mostly it's the politics people don't like.

Pretty much this

Just so we are clear....how do you pronounce LESTER and how do you pronounce LEICESTER? Nuff said.

In the same way data is not pronounced darter.

I don't know an American that pronounces data with an R in it.

Sometimes I pronounce in Day-ta, sometimes Daa-ta.

Beta is Bay-ta.

Sure, you guys created the language which is exactly why I beg the answer, why is LESTER the same as LEICESTER? You aren't pronouncing the C!

And if you don't even pronounce the H in Birmingham/Tottenham/Cheltenham, why the hell did you put in there?!

And you blame us for mucking up the language! You mucked it to begin with!

(all for a laugh guys, don't get all upset now!)

I pronounce the H when I say Birmingham, I just dont place emphasis on it like Americans do, though this thread is now talking about accents isnt it?

I pronounce the H when I say Birmingham, I just dont place emphasis on it like Americans do, though this thread is now talking about accents isnt it?

So you pronounce it "Bir-ming-hum" as opposed to "Bir-ming-ham"? It's just part of the American way of literal pronunciation (see the Z over S answer to the poll).

Just so we are clear....how do you pronounce LESTER and how do you pronounce LEICESTER? Nuff said.

You see, given that I grew up just two towns over from Leicester (pronounced more or less properly: in the Worcester accent it's roughly Lesstuh in the same way that Worcester is Wusstah), Mass. (which of course borders Worcester, Oxford, and Charlton, with Dudley, Sutton, Sturbridge and Shrewsbury not far away), I don't have that problem ;)

There are a few cities and towns in Massachusetts, besides the cesters (Gloucester being another... I've heard furriners ask directions to Glowchester) that will http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_S43tPbouo:

* Billerica

* Leominster

* Peabody

* Montague

* Natick

(and while Framingham isn't difficult to pronounce, you'd be amazed the number of times reputable publishers will correct it to Farmingham... you'll occasionally even see job listings for Farmingham!)

How you guys pronounce the last letter of the alphabet makes me laugh too. Everybody knows it goes like this:

Bee, Cee, Dee, Eee, Gee, Pee, Tee, Vee, Zed.

in the Worcester accent it's roughly Lesstuh in the same way that Worcester is Wusstah

Very much that here. Although one of my dickhead "Look at me, I'm a Southerner, anything north of the Watford gap is the north" Uni friends pronounces Worcester "War-chest-er". Part of me expected some USers to do so too.

It's just part of the American way of literal pronunciation (see the Z over S answer to the poll).

And yet the yleave the "h" off the beginning of "herbs" and pronounce Van Gogh in such a way that it took me quite some considerable time at first to figure out who the hell they were on about.....

can I get the Stern show over here in any way?

Legitimately, there's Sirius Internet Radio for $12.95/month, though for rights reasons (basically Stern gave the rights to broadcasts via cellular networks to another company) the iPhone/iPod Touch app doesn't include Stern.

I understand that there are various sites that offer torrents of the show within an hour or so of when it finishes (so about 6pm in the UK), but I can't vouch for those, as I subscribe legitimately.

Did you catch Stern today?

My man CheapyD was in the studio. Won a charity auction. Did he get any airtime?

MarksFriggin"]

Auction Winners David And Stewart Sit In. 08/31/09. 9:45am

Howard said they had a couple of guys in the studio watching the show. They gave some money to a charity to win the chance to sit in. David and Stewart are friends. David said that he lives in Japan and it's pretty awesome. Artie asked if it was true that you can get laid easy over there. David said that he got married but it is pretty easy to get laid over there. He said that any foreigner can get laid there.

David said that he runs a web site where they tell people where to get cheap video games. He said that he actually does better than his wife does and she's a lawyer. The site is CheapAssGamer.com

Artie offered the guys his pancakes but Howard told Artie that Pat Priest might need them more than they do. Howard said that he might want to give them to her instead. Artie said he would if she sent a delivery guy to pick them up.

Geraldo's on the replay of the show right now... should get to CheapyD within an hour or so.