America

maqroll

What best describes your feelings about the US of A?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your feelings about the US of A?

• Love America
    • Like America
    • Couldn't Care Less About America
    • Hate America
    • Like America, Hate Americans
    • Hate America, Like Americans
    • Bored With America
    • World is Better Off with America
    • World is Better Off Without America
    • Why Do They Use the Letter "Z" Inappropriately?

Just a point about why Americans dont tend to leave America, they dont really have much reason too when there is so much of America to see. It is a continent sized country, and the differences in climate, terrain and culture across the place are huge.

To put it into perspective, its further from Miami to Seattle than it is from London to New York. Levi is probably as close to Birmingham as he is to Los Angeles.

To put it into perspective, its further from Miami to Seattle than it is from London to New York. Levi is probably as close to Birmingham as he is to Los Angeles.

Really?

I know this might make me sound stupid then, but how come the time difference from New York-London is 5 hours, yet the New York-Seattle time difference is only 3 hours? :oops:

Well, time zones are mostly distance east -west, and discount north - south. Its the same time in the UK as it is in Ghana. Its the same time in Finland as it is in South Africa. And of course, Miami to Seattle is further than New York to L.A. ;)

Just a point about why Americans dont tend to leave America, they dont really have much reason too when there is so much of America to see. It is a continent sized country, and the differences in climate, terrain and culture across the place are huge.

Very very good point Rev. My father and mother made it a point for me to see many parts of the USA, being they were in the military it was practically inevitable. But holiday trips to Yellowstone, Redwood national forsest, the national monuments, etc were really great. I still have much much more to see in the US but I'd rather do places like Asia and Africa.

Really?

I know this might make me sound stupid then, but how come the time difference from New York-London is 5 hours, yet the New York-Seattle time difference is only 3 hours? :oops:

Great question, wish I could pull an answer out of my ass to answer it.

But to correct you, NYC to Seattle is 4 hours I think. Pacific-Mountain-Central-and East.

The difference in time between East Coast and West Coast is 3 hours.

Its about half past five in New York at the moment. Half four in Chicago (1 hour) Half three in Denver (2 hours) and Half past two in Seattle (3 hours.)

I regret not going to Stone Henge.

Ten or so years ago, me and my dad actually spent five days just outside Salisbury without even knowing Stonehenge was in the area :?

Scotland interest me, especially Edinburgh

You should go if you have a chance. It's a beatiful country and a great city. Spent ten days in the Lothians this summer and enjoyed it immensly. Though, I'm a bit of a golf enthusiast so it was obviously like mecca to me.

And Chindie...alot of the reason why we Americans fly our flags proudly outside our houses is that exact same reason. Nationalism and patriotism, (bar July 4th) started on Sept 12. 2001.

Er, not so sure about that, CM :lol:

So you're saying that prior to 9/11 people had American flags outside their homes? Don't remember that AT ALL. Unless of course it was on 4th of July.

After we were attacked everyone and their dog had an American flag on their car, their house, and their motorcycles.

My brother-in-law and many of his neighbours had flags outside their houses in Baltimore last time I was there. This was in 1989.

Its about half past five in New York at the moment. Half four in Chicago (1 hour) Half three in Denver (2 hours) and Half past two in Seattle (3 hours.)

I never actually knew the US had 4 times zones, I always thought it was -5, -6 and -8 GMT. Well, you learn something new every day.

Charleston, SC. Ever get a chane, GO!

How far is this from Orlando? The parents have been on about going back to Orlando for quite a while and maybe taking a road trip while they're there. I think me and my brother may be going too, so we'll get to see a few of the SE states.

I never actually knew the US had 4 times zones, I always thought it was -5, -6 and -8 GMT. Well, you learn something new every day.

I think only about 27 people live in the mountain time zone.

(actually that's not fair at all. Its probably nearer 30. :mrgreen:)

usa24k.gif

Double actually, that's not fair either. Looking around online, it breaks down like this:

Eastern Standard Time (5 hours behind us)

141.6m

Central Standard Time (6 hours behind us)

85.3m

Mountain Standard Time (7 hours behind us)

18.7m

Pacific Standard Time (8 hours behind us)

48.7m

Arizona dont play the daylight savings game, they dont change their clocks every spring and autumn, so they straddle two time zones, depending on what time of year it is.

See how almost two thirds of the American population live in the Eastern half of the country though? And how the mountain time zone is fairly empty as most of the population in the western half live on the coast, especially in the Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles/San Diego areas.

us-population-map.gif

Charleston, SC. Ever get a chane, GO!

I can second that. We drove from NYC to Hilton Head Island, SC five years ago and spent a night in Charleston. A very nice place indeed.

im still a brit at heart but enjoy the lifestyle here and the weather !

I realize that the UK is not, in general, renowned the world over for its quality weather...

...but Michigan?!?!?!?!?!