535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to stay, he inherited a pretty bad squad and did OK to turn it around. He's going through a bad patch but so has Arsene Wenger every single year and he's still there.
your think he'd a replaced the shit with good players though..

Needs to stay, he inherited a pretty bad squad and did OK to turn it around. He's going through a bad patch but so has Arsene Wenger every single year and he's still there.

Are you serriously comparing MON with Wenger? That is a bloody shock!

Wenger has had a slump of fortunes recently but he is ARSENAL...he has made Arsenal what they are today and if you did see an ounce of football yesterday you would´ve been bloody happy to support Arsene Wengers exciting Guns!

Wenger has had a slump of fortunes recently but he is ARSENAL...he has made Arsenal what they are today and if you did see an ounce of football yesterday you would´ve been bloody happy to support Arsene Wengers exciting Guns!

Sounds like you should be the one supporting Arsenal.

But we have a better squad now than we did under O'Leary.

Djemba Djemba, Berson, Drobny to name a few.. I know MON has signed a few Harewood's and Salifou standard players but I'm more confident with MON as a manager than I was with O'Leary.

I could never see us going places under DOL but with MON I can definitely see us going somewhere.

The problem is, the short term success of the club has led to compacency of the fans wanting further success straight away, therefore the calling of him to be sacked. We may not have the best squad but I support Aston Villa not Martin O'Neill, or Randy Lerner, or Marlon Harewood... Aston Villa will always be there. Managers come and go but the team doesn't.

Yes we're going through a bad patch meaning we have to sign some decent players who are able to pick it up but to say he's not replaced shit players with good players is a little strange. Davies and Cuellar are both better than Ridgewell :?

Is one not allowed an opinion that differs from yours? I know many Arsenal fans who have been calling for him to be sacked for years on end...no trophies and they've not won the Premiership in a while...they are a challenging club, just look at Chelsea they've changed their manager about 4 times in the past 2 years because they couldn't get it right. Do we really want that? Who do you SERIOUSLY think would be better than what we have here now? Who would come here and improve us as a manager?

'Arsene Wengers exciting Guns!' sure you're not an Arsenal fan?

Djemba Djemba, Berson, Drobny to name a few.. I know MON has signed a few Harewood's and Salifou standard players but I'm more confident with MON as a manager than I was with O'Leary.

I could never see us going places under DOL but with MON I can definitely see us going somewhere.

The problem is, the short term success of the club has led to compacency of the fans wanting further success straight away, therefore the calling of him to be sacked. We may not have the best squad but I support Aston Villa not Martin O'Neill, or Randy Lerner, or Marlon Harewood... Aston Villa will always be there. Managers come and go but the team doesn't.

Yes we're going through a bad patch meaning we have to sign some decent players who are able to pick it up but to say he's not replaced shit players with good players is a little strange. Davies and Cuellar are both better than Ridgewell :?

Spot on Rich, top completely agree.

Stay 100%

Lots of managers might have bought in better defenders than we have got, more players or more glamourours signings. Would they have bought in Ashley Young, Carew, Petrov and Milner though, given Agbonlahor a chance, got the best out of Bouma, seen us take 4 points off Arsenal etc? Different managers get different things right and different things wrong. Overall i think very few managers could have done better on the pitch than we have done - the best season since 1995/96 for points last season in a year when we had 55 games. Last season was good, it had a pathetic run in that can't be forgotten about but the good parts and overall 6th place can't be dismissed. I'm sure a new manager will do it a new way, different players, more cover etc, i'm not sure they will see us getting more points or finishing higher in the league though.

In O'Neills first season with us we had a terrible run- i think it was 2 wins in 20 games, he showed he could learn from that and we turned it around. No reason at all he can't do it again, especially given that for 2/3rds of last season we were on course for our best season since we came 2nd. To dismiss all of that one game into a season as we lost and had a bad run in seems ridculous to me.

On another note half of the annoyance i think is the fact most people have realised we have decent owners who have put some money in but aren't the richest. Sadly that isn't enough in football now, we will finish above most clubs with less resources than us and below those who have more. Thats almost a given and its getting ever less likely any club or manager can break the cycle unless they get a mega rich owner. O Neill as manager will take the brunt of the annoyance over this and its why i hope we take the cups as seriously as we possibly can this year

One of the most rational, level headed, posts I've read on here the last couple of days.

Absolutely spot on.

Still over 2/3 in favour of keeping Mon. Had we have won yesterday that majority would have been even more emphatic which in itself makes this poll an absolute farce.

It's heartening that the vast majority of fans know that sticking with the manager and team through the tough times as well as the good is what being a fan is all about.

There will always be a vocal minority ready to get on MON's back given the slightest excuse.

But he more than deserves the chance to sort this out given what he's done for the club in the relatively short period of time he's been here.

If we finish 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th this season after being dumped out of all the cups early, then there will certainly be a debate to be had.

But to have this thread after one game of the new season is a bit embarrassing IMO.

time for o neill to go he has endless weaknesses that he has not fixed..dont ask me why but he just has not addresed them...he must be clueless 2 wins in 17...Sack Him Randy

:bang: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What an immature, one eyed, inept and irrationally clueless post from someone who evidently has little perspective of the game, if any.

Sack Him Randy

Forget it, Randy will not sack MON. Check out what happened at his American football team, it took years. If MON leaves it will because he walks out on us and it will be at least at the end of this season, all IMO.

time for o neill to go he has endless weaknesses that he has not fixed..dont ask me why but he just has not addresed them...he must be clueless 2 wins in 17...Sack Him Randy

Who should be brought in then? Who is available who would realistically come to Villa and do better than MON has done. Please tell me.

(And please learn some grammar and punctuation!).

In Martin & Randy I trust.

Would we not have taken sixth twice in two years when DO'L & Ellis were still here?

Expectations have risen because of how far this club has moved forward. We need more players and Martin as well as us know that. One poor result even on the back of our poor end to last season does not a bad manager make. I still consider we are lucky to have him and I would not want anyone in his place.

I dont see why I have to justify myself to some of you but here we go...

We play dire hoofball.

We have a shocking scouting system for buying foreign starlets and pay overated fees for overated englishmen.

We have one of the worst succesful passing stats of any team in the league during the whole of last season.

We sign absolute dross apart from a few exceptions..

O Neill moans about small squads like o dreary did (even after 3 years)

He has not replaced Barry or Laursen

He plays players out of position

He sets out terrible tactics

He cannot set out a team to defend one match

2 Wins in 17 matches-worse than DOL for form

He constantly tells us how difficult his job is when he has more cash than most other managers..100 mill to spend

He never makes subs until too late in matches

He has no plan B and plan A rarely works

Just a poor poor Premier League manager...a relic and a throwback from the clough era who belongs in the scotland where you only need 12 cavemen with small amounts of skill to beat the crap opposition.

I think it is crucial this season that we don't finish below 8th. I don't wanna see us dropping places, but finishing 6th twice on the go has givn us a bit more credibility as a top of the league challenger. Our position can attract better players that we don't seem to be going in for during the transfer window. However if MON keeps buying rather average premier league English players/just relegated players or players who never even get into the team then we can easily slip further than 8th this season. We'd have less chance getting some real quality star players at the club. Since the signing of Heskey in January, I've not seen real much from MON thats really inspiring. If these funds are available for him that we hear about, then he should be bringing in quality this summer. Our squad is not as good as our squad this time last year, not at all. It is getting very frustrating as the things fans have highlighed this summer were proven in our first game of the season. If hes got some tricks up his sleeve for the next few weeks then that would be fantastic, but how things stand right now with his management of the current team, I don't think it looks good. I remember our best performances in the Peace Cup came was when MON was sitting in the stand :).

Some people saying it is embarrassing to have this thread but this is still a continuation or bad results and lackluster performances from the tail end of last season, and the only thing thats changed about the sqaud is that it is weaker!

Â