Who has took us from relegation to "Europa League"

paulanddonya

Who has had the MOST influence in us going from relegation to Europe?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had the MOST influence in us going from relegation to Europe?

• Randy
    • Martin
    • Both equally

I wish I could add a poll (can't work it out).

In 2006, MON and Randy basically came to the club in the same week, give or take. At that stage, I absolutely expected to get relegated that next season, and with DOL and Ellis - we certainly would have, no question about it.

Three years on and we are disappointed not to get Champions League - have we improved - I think a very big Yes is the answer to that - but who is behind it most - MON or Randy (and don't say its both of them).

On one hand you have MON. Who most people say his biggest attribute is his man management. He has got the best out of Gabby , Laursen and Barry and the rest etc...

However, then you have Randy. If Ellis and MON was in charge, would Barry have stayed or gone to Pompey ?. I reckon he'd have gone, he knew no matter who the manager was, with Ellis there, villa were doomed. Laursen ?, well DOL bought him, and he played for AC Milan so he wasn't that bad before we got him. So is Randy's development of Bodymoor more key in his class displays over MON.

To me, I think MON took over at a great time for him. Randy came, and at that stage (before the likes of Man City and Hicks etc..) we were one of the richest clubs in the league.

The fans have flocked back. But I think this is more down to the light at the end of the tunnel that fans can see after the Ellis years. The feel good is back, but again, me personally, it's coz I trust Randy, and where he will take us, more than MON.

To me , we have improved, but I say 70% of it is down to Randy, and MON has took the credit. I think it is now down to MON to show what he can do.

Discuss !!!

MON came in during at the best time possible.

The club was a mess, and he has had around £100m to spend.

We are now back where we belong ( 5th 6th 7th ). Question is, is he good enough to take us to the NEXT level, and not just the one we are back at.

well if I had to pick, it's MON.

as O'Neill controls the transfers, the players, the team selections, the basic day to day stuff of the club.....David Moyes has shown, you don't need to have loads and loads of money to be succesful...

but generally both are big factors in our success.

The trust Randy has with O'Neill is key as he let's him get on with his job without demanding instant success, which means we can build properly

MON came in during at the best time possible.

The club was a mess, and he has had around £100m to spend.

We are now back where we belong ( 5th 6th 7th ). Question is, is he good enough to take us to the NEXT level, and not just the one we are back at.

That for me is very well reasoned and accurate assesment free from some of the over the top stuff often posted on here. The answer to that question at this moment in time is, we don't know and he hasn't been given enough time for us to make that assesment.

The guy needs time.

He must have in his mind an ideal way of playing, an ideal squad to fit the way he plays and this takes years.

The concern for me, is what is this way of playing that he has in his mind? I am hoping that the style we are currently playing is just a stop gap whilst he finds the players he wants and moulds those young kids into players that he sees fitting into his " style ".

Unless you spend millions upon millions on salaries and fees, this is the only way to do it. So lets just be patient and wait and see.

I've gone for Randy. Without him the whole demographic of this club would be different. MON wouldn't be here still if Doug had still been around, wouldn't have had the funding. The whole aura around the club, from moving from Hummel to Nike, the training ground revamp, the general, the Holte Pub refurbishment, the sheer feeling that this club is one with class again is down to Randy. Sure, MON, like alot of those at the club, are part of it. But for me, without Randy and his long and short-term vision for Aston Villa football club, we'd be struggling, whoever the manager was.

it can't just be down to Randy though?

tottenham have lots of money and haven't done much, same with Sunderland, Man City...Everton have hardly any money and have done well.

It works both ways for me....not one or the other.

ALTHOUGH, I'd rather have a good manager with not great funds, than lots of money with a poor manager...

MON.

Rnady has helped, but there are plenty of examples of the money being there and nothing changing.

Randy's biggest credit is letting MOn get on with it, so MON has to take the credit for me.

No-one is saying JUST Randy, read the poll. It asks who has had MORE influence. It's quite obvious that no ONE person is responsible.

If O'Neill was leave for whatever reason, I'd trust Randy to get a suitable replacement. You obviously need a balanced partnership between owner and manager.

At the moment I'd say Lerner has performed in excess of what I hoped for from him, with O'Neill meeting expectations, no more and no less, and showing disturbing signs of being on a severe downhill slope.

MON wouldn't have come here if Randy had not taken control of the club (or was about to). At the same time it is MON's team that has got us to where we are and another manager might not of done so. It has to be both equally.

Considering the amount of money MON has had available I would say Randy is the most important factor. A lot of managers would have helped us move on. The difference is that I think MON is helping us create a club which could be a force for many years. He is going after young talented players, creating an English spine which is very important.

I'm not saying MON shouldn't be credited, cause he has rewamped a squad with a LOT of deadwood and made many very astute signings. But the importance of MON will be seen the next 2 season IMO.

Â