May 2024 Local Elections

Jareth

Just seen an interview with Richard Parker. Very softly spoken, reserved. 

He's definitely not going to be box office. Expect to see more and more of Burnham when local Mayoral issues are covered on the tellybox. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's definitely not going to be box office. Expect to see more and more of Burnham when local Mayoral issues are covered on the tellybox. 

That would happen regardless. It's Manchester isn't it? The mayor of Manchester will always get more coverage than the Midlands mayor.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Local Mayoral issues are just that. The Manchester and West Mids mayoral roles aren’t exact replicas of each other. There’s no PCC in Manchester because the Mayor has that role for example. Burnham will get more publicity because his role is far more wide ranging. I don’t know about West Mids responsibility for Clean Air Zones but in Meseryside that is retained by the local authorities and not the Metro Mayor, in Manchester they are Burnham’s responsibility. I suspect the West Mids is the same as Merseyside. That whole issue is a complete mess. Think about it, one charge for the whole of GM, six different charges for Merseyside, and how ever many charges for the West Mids. The blame for that lies with the individual local authorities that didn’t pass those responsibilities on in the negotiations.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

So?  He’s west midland’s mayor, not Birmingham mayor. Why does it matter?

Worcestershire isn’t in the mayoral region and the rules are that the Mayor must have lived in he region prior to the election I think.

But if he has a residence in Birmingham that should be ok anyway. I've had neighbours in the flat opposite ours since January that I’ve never seen. I’ve certainly never knowingly seen over 50% of the people that live in my road. Neighbours word of mouth is not evidence of anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Tory tears are my mothers milk. **** them, **** Reform and all of their supporters. Come on West Midlands, do the right thing. 

I liked street, the new guy is gonna be a Labour bot 

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How do you know?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blandy said:

So?  He’s west midland’s mayor, not Birmingham mayor. Why does it matter?

Doesn't matter to me

Labour mayoral candidate reported to police over alleged electoral law breach

Tory MP alleges Richard Parker manipulated residency rules to become eligible for West Midlands contest taking place on Thursday

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/05/01/richard-parker-west-midlands-mayoral-election-police/

Edited by tinker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Just like Labour bots Andy Burnham, Steve Rotherham, and Sadiq Khan? 🤔

Let's see what happens first.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

All new Labour elected politicians have signed up to the starmer mantra. 

Do you have a copy of it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

I guess that's a "no".

So.You honestly think, that Labour who have purged anyone and anything that could lose them an election, are happy to have anyone with the slightest individuality, you haven't been paying attention.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So.You honestly think, that Labour who have purged anyone and anything that could lose them an election, are happy to have anyone with the slightest individuality, you haven't been paying attention.

Only yesterday, the Labour Party were happy to put Jess Phillips up as their spokesbod at the count in Birmingham for the BBC

In case you didn’t know, Jess Phillips resigned (again) from the Shadow Cabinet over Gaza, yet Labour were happy for her to speak on their behalf

As far as I'm aware, Starmer only got rid of people who had absolutely no place in the Labour Party in the first place, the cranks and the tankies, the trots and the like. They were mainly members and organisers of proscribed organisations. if by getting rid of them you mean he made them electable, then yes he did. If you want to see what a political party with a really broad church actually looks like, then have a look at the Tories and the SNP. But the no dissent at all bit? No I really don’t think that is true. There’s plenty of evidence to the contrary, as others have pointed out, Burnham, Rotherham, Khan… even as far back as October 25% of the MPs had publicly called for a Gaza ceasefire, yet they haven’t been deselected or removed from the party

I also presume being as this is the Labour Party that Richard Parker went through a democratic selection process amongst the membership

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Only yesterday, the Labour Party were happy to put Jess Phillips up as their spokesbod at the count in Birmingham for the BBC

In case you didn’t know, Jess Phillips resigned (again) from the Shadow Cabinet over Gaza, yet Labour were happy for her to speak on their behalf

As far as I'm aware, Starmer only got rid of people who had absolutely no place in the Labour Party in the first place, the cranks and the tankies, the trots and the like. They were mainly members and organisers of proscribed organisations. if by getting rid of them you mean he made them electable, then yes he did. If you want to see what a political party with a really broad church actually looks like, then have a look at the Tories and the SNP. But the no dissent at all bit? No I really don’t think that is true. There’s plenty of evidence to the contrary, as others have pointed out, Burnham, Rotherham, Khan… even as far back as October 25% of the MPs had publicly called for a Gaza ceasefire, yet they haven’t been deselected or removed from the party

I also presume being as this is the Labour Party that Richard Parker went through a democratic selection process amongst the membership

Jess philips is your example of a free thinking antagonistic MP? 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Jess philips is your example of a free thinking antagonistic MP? 

She probably holds the world record for resigning on principal, who mentioned antagonistic?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

She probably holds the world record for resigning on principal, who mentioned antagonistic?

Did you ever see her leadership video? And yes antagonistic- the original point was about Starmer bots - do you think she's gonna piss him off?

45 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We aren't talking about what I think.

As we run up to a general election, I don't expect to hear much from any politician, regardless of party, which goes against their party line. However, It's impossible to predict what this mayor will be like before he's even started the job.

• Like 1

Â