Football Conspiracy Theories

This time it's a United supporter alleging "corruption" (I take this to mean some kind of deliberate pro-City conspiracy behind the scenes) based on corner kick nonsense. 

46 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This time it's a United supporter alleging "corruption" (I take this to mean some kind of deliberate pro-City conspiracy behind the scenes) based on corner kick nonsense. 

You're an American also, you've seen this filed under "You could call holding on every play" before. It's the same argument.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wishywashy said:

I think there's a mixture of favouritism and incompetence at play, but probably not outright corruption. Clattenburg, for example, has openly admitted that he heavily favoured United when refereeing them under Fergie. Pretty sure they were mates too, which seems like a conflict of interest.

Referees aren't helped by the rules of the game being incredibly unfit for purpose and vague either.

As for a conspiracy theory, McTominay and El Shaarawy are still in their early 20s. There's no way McTominay is 27. I'm not buying it.

Yeah he said he used to get bottles of wine off fergie after a late pen or whatever, absolutely corrupt as eff in my job if I'm given a gift by a client worth over £10 I have to declare it. Mind you Fergie might just be a tight arse with the cheap plonk

• Thanks 1

Watching United fans squeal corruption brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I don't seem to remember them offering apologies for the blatant favouritism they experienced under Fergie. 

Let them cry tears of corruption, whilst football passes them by for another year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Have you got his analysis of onana clattering a Wolves player and no penalty being given? 

This whole "corruption" stuff has got to stop, it's gone way too far, they're not going to fix the refs they're going to blame the fans 

• Like 1

I have always thought that refs have "unconscious bias" towards the so called sky favourite teams. This is reinforced by some players getting in the refs faces throughout the game with no bookings for dissent.

Seen Villa players booked in the first 5 mins for an innocuous challenge whereas opposition players are foul consistently throughout the game with no punishment.

I have seen enough premier league games not just Villa, to see that there is some significant favourable decisions given to certain clubs and that there is no consistency.

If there is no consistency in decision making  by a ref and VAR, and making up or reinterpeting the rules of the game, then all fans should be asking ourselves "why is that?"...

• Like 2

I think there is corruption in every major sport in the world. 

You can't have the sort of money swilling about in it and there not be something going on somewhere along the line. FIFA are the world governing body and they are as dodgy as it comes. 

As for refs, to be a referee, surely you'd harbour some form of passion for the game. Either you played at a young age, went to watch, supported a certain team. Therefore, you can't have a group of refs or VAR delegates who are 100% fair in every circumstance and scenario. 

The only way round this would be to take people who have no interest in the sport and train them. Even then, you'd probably get to the point where you would ref a certain team or a individual player would be a dick so next time you ref that side, you have that in your mind and are more likely not to give them fair decisions. So it's nigh on impossible, unless you solely rely on technology, to have a totally fair system in place being run by humans who have emotions and different personality traits. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Some of the "corruption" seems to be in plain view.

It's IMO quite likely that City engaged in genuine, real corruption, but that other sides have received their punishments already for massively smaller and more straightforward cases while City haven't is inevitable, not corrupt. 

• Like 2

Disappointing to not see any mention of the hot ball(s) being used in the FA cup draw. 

I assume it’s because we’re all just accepting that it is actually true and any time two big clubs are drawn together in an early round it is simply done to try and throw us off the scent of the trickery elsewhere.

Obviously I’m joking.

Spoiler

Or am I?

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ycpsds9mvwd61yzefv

• Haha 3

Â