Midweek Football 11/14 December

andykeenan

Yep it's all pretty much irrelevant until the final stages. If Man City and Arsenal made semi finals, Liverpool won the Europa League and we won the ECL then England would be pretty well off in points. Those scenarios are all decent odds to happen. Of course if the Champions League semi finals were two teams from Italy and Spain then England can kiss goodbye to 5th place. But Newcastle and Man Utd going out now aren't going to have a major impact on the grand scheme of things other than a less chaotic schedule for their own League campaigns. Two teams that have had a lot of injuries recently. 

The poor showing by Manchester United and Newcastle are good reminders for me that we can’t rely on league wins against those two teams as much of a reflection on our own quality. I feel pretty confident that Unai is already thinking that way, but earlier in the season, I had this more fixed idea that English football is the best football in the world right now. Yes and no, I think, is the truth.

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

So only Italy have more teams in Europe than England? Why’s everyone panicking then? 

The points you acquire are divided by the total number of teams you started with. As we started with 8, and only now have 6 earning points,  it puts us worse off than both the two teams above us and France below us.

Things could look very different after the first knock out round though so probably early to be worrying about the implications as nothing is really known until at least the semis.

15 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Consistent brilliant performances? Newcastle? For 18 months? Not a chance.

They went from bottom to top 4 in 18 months that’s pretty consistent imo. 

• Like 1

Rangers winning away at Real Betis, coupled with Sparta Prague beating Aris, means Rangers currently heading through as group winners with Sparta Prague second.

Real Betis would enter the Europa Conference I guess?

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Rangers winning away at Real Betis, coupled with Sparta Prague beating Aris, means Rangers currently heading through as group winners with Sparta Prague second.

Real Betis would enter the Europa Conference I guess?

Yeah them and Union SG will be tricky

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah them and Union SG will be tricky

Not really.  Everyone always tells us that Scottish football is absolute shite but Rangers have done the double over Betis so they must be awful ;).

Â