Midweek Football 6/9 November

andykeenan

Just now, Genie said:

£45m seemed a good deal for City at the time. He has 3 goals for Chelsea and I’m pretty sure at least 2 were pens.

Is his number of goals so far supposed to count against him? He's a creative player, he played a number of quality through balls against us, really stood out to me.

Two were pens, but three goals and two assists in 515 PL minutes this season.

Two assists in two in the EFL Cup, also a goal in the Super Cup and Community Shield (for City).

Anyway, numbers aside, can just see he's a huge talent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Qualifying for the CL in the PL is pretty much the holy grail for anyone outside of Man City, who take it as a given they'll be there. So once you're there, and in the case of Newcastle, after a 20 yr absence, and you draw some genuinely top teams yet you don't play your strongest 11. 

Truly bizarre. I honestly don't get it. They've got Bournemouth on Saturday ffs. 

Botman, Isak, Barnes, Murphy, Burn and Targett (for what it's worth) all injured and Tonali now banned from playing.

Wondering which part of that lineup you think is weakened?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

£45m seemed a good deal for City at the time. He has 3 goals for Chelsea and I’m pretty sure at least 2 were pens.

For... who?

I'd have taken Palmer at Villa for £45m no danger.  Kid is a baller.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

His chance creation per game must be up there with anyone, though. He really is a top-level playmaker in the making.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Botman, Isak, Barnes, Murphy, Burn and Targett (for what it's worth) all injured and Tonali now banned from playing.

Wondering which part of that lineup you think is weakened?

Only ones who didn't start and potentially could have were Gordon and Almiron. But they both looked gassed on Saturday evening so not that surprising that they didn't start. Plus with how many injuries they have (some of which must have been due to spending too much time playing in red zone) they probably didn't want to risk losing even more key players. Didn't Wilson get an injury/was playing with an injury also?

6 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

His chance creation per game must be up there with anyone, though. He really is a top-level playmaker in the making.

His stats look alright, 5 big chances created according to Premier League

Big Chances Created

This table ranks players based on the currently selected stat type

RankPlayerStat

1.Mohamed Salah11 

2.Kieran Trippier8 

3.Moussa Diaby7 

4.Bruno Fernandes6 

4.James Maddison6 

6.Anthony Gordon5 

6.Pedro Neto5 

6.Bernardo Silva5 

6.Cole Palmer5 

6.Son Heung-Min5

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's only played 515 mins as well. He'd be higher in this list if it was big chances created per minute.

Salah's played around 950 minutes for reference. So, they're both averaging a big chance every 100 minutes or so. He's also the youngest player on that list, by at least a few years (apart from Gordon). He probably doesn't get to take many set pieces (yet) either.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Qualifying for the CL in the PL is pretty much the holy grail for anyone outside of Man City, who take it as a given they'll be there. So once you're there, and in the case of Newcastle, after a 20 yr absence, and you draw some genuinely top teams yet you don't play your strongest 11. 

Truly bizarre. I honestly don't get it. They've got Bournemouth on Saturday ffs. 

From a financial point of view and to appeal to players/retain them, it's more important for Newcastle to get top 4 (or 5) again and get back in the CL next season than it is for them to run deep now. It's the only way to actually progress, consistency in the league is what gets you there.

It's why I'd never take winning a league cup but finishing 12th, it would set us back years.

Â