Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/23 at 22:59

17 hours ago, Icarium said:

It is beyond me how we can never beat these.

lack of one of two agricultural players in the squad for games like this...they have a team full.

Happy with the point. Until the sending off felt it was an even game in which both teams had periods of controls.

Not happy with our performance, as there was a few too many misplaced passes and dithering on the ball at times. I don’t think we were at our sharpest, the international break has come at a good time. These players need a rest, and we need to get a few back from injury.

Martinez is so reliable. Another 7 out of 10.

Konsa had a solid game, but Hwang really made him work. 6

Carlos was tough and uncompromising, was good on the ball too. The little backheal in his own third to a teammate was lovely. 7

Torres made up for getting skinned for their goal by scoring the equaliser. Neto gave him a torrid time. Good distribution as usual. 6

Cash was industrious as ever, always an outlet. should've scored though. 7

Digne was pushing up and always an outlet, but gave the ball away a lot. 6

Luiz wasn't as effective as usual, dithered and got dispossessed for the transition that led to their goal. 5

Kamara battled well, gave the ball away a few times. 6

McGinn had a very tenacious first half and didn't allow us to be bullied. Faded in the second half. 7

Diaby was poor, clearly wasn't fully fit and Wolves were snapping into challenges. Game passed him by. 4

Watkins was industrious as ever. However his first touch let him down a lot yesterday. Good assist, should've won it for us. 6.5

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Don Unai waits for no one. 

That's bullshit. He goes up to O Neil and O Neil tells him to go away or something to that effect. O Neil is a prick and a glorified cone collector. It's a shame the bottom of the league isn't more competitive so them pricks could go down.

I think the lack of movement "OFF" the ball renders our players on the ball, subject to a tackle.

We have to move the ball quicker....and we can only do that when the receiver, moves more.....we are too easy to close down, at times.

I think this is possibly causing us undue injuries too.

The play is too slow at times, and predictable and we are getting caught on the ball....I think this is adding to the likelihood of injuries.

The decision of no penalty on Ollie....was a joke....seriously bad decision.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Ollie could so easily have had a hat-trick, but he has to learn to make some of his own chances.

When the service is iffy.....he needs to work his opposite numbers better, and disrupt their rhythm and composure.

Centre backs need to be "played", left alone they are too competent at this level, they need to be "got at"

Our frontline was too passive, in a game like this, they needed disrupting....The crosses from us was bread and butter for them.

I still feel a couple of "industrial" players for the squad, would be helpful in games like this....we have more footballers, but they get taken out, too easily, on days like this.

Edited by TRO

I can't quite get my head around why Neto seemed to be their go to player....He has scored 2 goals in 40 games for them over the last 3 seasons.

Sure, he is a winger and he is quick, so was Adama Traore....these players can be nullified, if dealt with properly.

We have allegedly quick players in Diaby and Bailey....but the same fuss is not afforded to them.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the lack of movement "OFF" ball renders our players on the ball, subject to a tackle.

We have to move the ball quicker....and we can only do that when the receiver, moves more.....we are too easy to close down, at times.

I think this is possibly causing us undue injuries too.

The play is too slow at times, and predictable and we are getting caught on the ball....I think this is adding to the likelihood of injuries.

The decision of no penalty on Ollie....was a joke....seriously bad decision.

The movement off the ball is true. But when a team is a organised, aggressive, and defending quite deep and in numbers as Wolves were yesterday its very hard for the attacking team. Diaby offered little, and Watkins struggles a bit when the space is so compressed, with little room in behind. I felt like a Duran cameo might have helped.

In these match situations, with 3 centres backs, you need one of the centre backs to step into midfield to allow the midfielders to make more forward runs.

Agricultural players would only help if they also have significant technical ability.

Moreno would've made a huge difference yesterday. The amount of space Digne had was massive. But all he can do is cross. If we had Moreno running at Semedo and Kilman, we would've done some damage down that flank. If we have Ramsey there on the left too, we would have ripped them open. 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ollie could so easily have had a hat-trick, but he has to learn to make some of his own chances.

When the service is iffy.....he needs to work his opposite numbers better.

Centre backs need to be "played", left alone they are too competent at this level, they need to be "got at"

Our frontline was too passive, in a game like this, they needed disrupting....The crosses from us was bread and butter for them.

I still feel a couple of "industrial" players for the squad, would be helpful in games like this....we have more footballers, but they get taken out, too easily, on days like this.

Ollie's way of working CB's is to make them chase him, but the space wasn't there for him to run into. Plus 3 at the back meant they had a player marshaling the channel where Ollie would like to run down.

Ollie is never going to be the nasty annoying Suarez type. 

17 hours ago, smg said:

Sadly unless we are at least 3-0 up all our players are considered to be shit by fans on here. Only Martinez has not been called out at some time today and he had **** all to do. The goal blamed on 5 different players. All refs are wa****s and VAR hates us. We are 5th in the premier league yet it seems we are absolutely shit. What a time to be a Villa fan.

Thats simply OTT.

folk are simply being objective, and discussing area's we could be better.

When we have struggled against an inferior team, isn't it common place to discuss why.

I don't think anyone is questioning our overall performances, but have we got to wait until we play badly to discuss, our shortcomings?

I feel pretty sure Unai Emery, will be discussing shortcomings, even though we are getting results....so why not us.

We are in 5th place, and we want to say in the top 5 if we can....its not the end of the season yet.

Constructive observation is healthy....its not necessarily criticism.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can't quite get my head around why Neto seemed to be their go to player....He has scored 2 goals in 40 games for them over the last 3 seasons.

Sure, he is a winger and he is quick, so was Adama Traore....these players can be nullified, if dealt with properly.

We have allegedly quick players in Diaby and Bailey....but the same fuss is not afforded to them.

Neto has touch as well as speed. It's  a different kettle of fish. Traore always was likely to have a heavier touch, he also doesn't have the agility Neto has.

The main issue though is getting player the ball in the right situations. Neto was the first player they looked for when the ball was turned over. They sought to get him one on one with space to attack. 

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The movement off the ball is true. But when a team is a organised, aggressive, and defending quite deep and in numbers as Wolves were yesterday its very hard for the attacking team. Diaby offered little, and Watkins struggles a bit when the space is so compressed, with little room in behind. I felt like a Duran cameo might have helped.

In these match situations, with 3 centres backs, you need one of the centre backs to step into midfield to allow the midfielders to make more forward runs.

Agricultural players would only help if they also have significant technical ability.

Moreno would've made a huge difference yesterday. The amount of space Digne had was massive. But all he can do is cross. If we had Moreno running at Semedo and Kilman, we would've done some damage down that flank. If we have Ramsey there on the left too, we would have ripped them open. 

I agree.

Maybe Agricultural, is the wrong word, but a more athletic type to balance the squad...and disrupt an opponents composure...we can't keep relying on McGinn, to do the ugly work, he needs help.

for me, taking off Luiz for instance and bring on Tielemans, does not change our play, its just a change of face or energy.

At times, we face lesser quality players, who have a possibly better effect on a game (like this).....my point is, our better quality, is not always as effective as it should be, in negating aggressive/ cheating opponents.

The low block, is a particular achilles heel for us, but we have to find a way around it.....I don't think we have enough players in the squad, who feel comfortable with the physical engagement, that is sometimes required to rattle the organisation of such a method. ....one or two more, to bring on in games of this nature, could be the disrupting force we need.

We will have a similar issue with West Ham , next home game.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Neto has touch as well as speed. It's  a different kettle of fish. Traore always was likely to have a heavier touch, he also doesn't have the agility Neto has.

The main issue though is getting player the ball in the right situations. Neto was the first player they looked for when the ball was turned over. They sought to get him one on one with space to attack. 

so has Bailey and Diaby.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he's a class player whose career has been curtailed by some horrific injuries. If he stays fit I'm sure his numbers will improve 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Ollie's way of working CB's is to make them chase him, but the space wasn't there for him to run into. Plus 3 at the back meant they had a player marshaling the channel where Ollie would like to run down.

Ollie is never going to be the nasty annoying Suarez type. 

Theres an opportunity to get diversity in to the squad, then.

17 hours ago, El Segundo said:

From what I've seen of them Wolves are much better than their league position would suggest.  They battered Liverpool for 45 minutes before everntually losing, beat Man City, were robbed at Man Utd and unlucky at Palace.   A draw isn't a bad result there. 

so, some teams, must be having a negative affect on them, to render their points tally.

Maybe our style simply doesn't work against their.....Anti Football.

• Like 1

Same old same old playing these at their place, we start off well playing some good football then they start with the play acting and we sink to their level and get sucked in.

Diaby looked like he was carrying an injury and Ollie was bullied out the game by Dawson so very little threat up front.

Not sure why the subs came on later then it looked like they needed to and only 3 in all?.

Anyway still a point earned and a rest will do us good.

P.S that's why Unai uses the fringe players in Europe and the cup games as the premier league is brutal.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Theres an opportunity to get diversity in to the squad, then.

Diaby didn't look right and I think that had a  massively negative impact of the potency of our attack. 

A point is respectable it. First draw of the season.  As long as we don't loose away from home then we are on course.

West ham are to similar to Wolves. That will be a tough physical battle 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats simply OTT.

Constructive observation is healthy...not necessarily criticism.

Depends on how it’s written and a lot of comments are definitely not constructive 

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

so has Bailey and Diaby.

And we have seen Diaby's effectiveness this season. Bailey doesn't seem to have the balance to effectively carry the ball. He is decent one on one around the box, but carrying the ball o the transition while under pressure he has a habit of being brushed off the ball.