Car Insurance for under 20's who have just passed driving test?

Follyfoot

Any pointers, cheapest I can find is about 3k with him as the main driver and the Mrs as secondary (who has 5 years no claims) Sod that for a game of soldiers. 

Thanks in advance 

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Any pointers, cheapest I can find is about 3k with him as the main driver and the Mrs as secondary (who has 5 years no claims) Sod that for a game of soldiers. 

Thanks in advance 

Are there any new car deals with free insurance? There were a few of those around when I was 18 ish and it worked out well financially. 

Might be worth crunching the numbers to do that for a year if such things exist.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are there any new car deals with free insurance? There were a few of those around when I was 18 ish and it worked out well financially. 

Might be worth crunching the numbers to do that for a year if such things exist.

Already brought the car last year for him to learn in 

Car insurance at that age is a joke. I just bit the bullet and paid like 250 a month when I started (wanted own no claims). Thankfully was living at home so was doable 

• Thanks 1

Is that fully comp? I went TPFT for the first 5 or 6 years of driving as fully comp was too expensive. Even TPFT was £650 back in '98 (c£1200 today)

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Is that fully comp? I went TPFT for the first 5 or 6 years of driving as fully comp was too expensive. Even TPFT was £650 back in '98 (c£1200 today)

yes fully comp

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are those prices with a black box?

Yep, got one down to 1900 quid. Looks about the cheapest, fully comprehensive out there (RAC)

do you get your Ride on Time with one of those as well?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

For my son TPFT quotes were more expensive than fully comp

i paid £2200 in the end for his car with a tracker fitted  .. one quote from the meerkat came in at £16k !!

its bollocks frankly , he’s far safer on the road than most road users who are deemed to be “experienced” 

My advice is phone Adrian Flux and ask about their new driver policy. Both my kids have it. Need the black box though. 

Half what you've been quoted though but on group 1 - 5 cars. 

• Thanks 1

Â