Riots in France

Marka Ragnos

It's hard for me for many reasons to get a clear sense of how intense this civil unrest actually is, but it seems very, very bad. It sounds like it's winding down a little? Shocking, but also somewhat overblown? Honestly trying to figure this one. I understand the larger context to an extent, but the last I read, but I'm very ignorant about it, too. It also sounded like the police unions had had enough and were making dark noises about "resistance," which, what does that mean? Mbappe's statement was remarkable.

More than 40 officers were injured, 577 vehicles torched, 74 buildings set on fire and 871 fires lit in streets and other public spaces on Saturday night, the ministry said, but added that the massive police presence had “made for a quieter night”.

The grandmother of 17-year-old Nahel M, who was killed during a police traffic stop in a Paris suburb on Tuesday, appealed for calm, saying that while she resented the officers responsible for her son’s death, she did not hate the police.

“Stop rioting, stop destroying,” the grandmother, named as Nadia, told BFMTV. “I say this to those who are rioting: do not smash windows, attack schools and buses. Stop. It’s mothers who take those buses.” The rioters, mostly minors, were “using Nahel as an excuse”, she said. “We want things to calm down.”

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The French have been the World Champions in the combined Protesting / Rioting multidisciplinary event since the late sixties. Their success in the event is unparalleled

Always take gold in the event of going on strike too - usually without telling anyone beforehand that they're going to do it.

• Like 2

These riots are a little different from usual French protests due to the racial element. Also, the average age of the arrested is 17. The unrest is more akin to the BLM unrest in the US after the George Floyd killing. 

• Like 1

I have no objections to people protesting.

Rioting, depends on what the violence is I guess, how severe, aimed at who, instigated by who etc (i.e. are people defending themselves from violent government authorities).

But looting I've never been comfortable with. Why take frustrations out on innocent businesses? It's theft and seems nothing more than opportunism which lessens the original protest.

• Like 3

The parallels with the London riots in 2011 seem stark.

Similar flash point, similar escalation to folk unrelated to original flash point.

• Like 1

Â