Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Our recent form feels like how Arsenal stumbled at the end of last season.  Think it's just just growing pains and we'll be stronger for it next season - as Arsenal seem to have matured this season.

Will be more than happy with 5th place - hopefully it will come with UCL qualification.

To me it feels like we achieved the Spurs level over the last couple of years. 

We are gonna win most, but every now and again we will draw against a Palace or a Wolves and this will be the difference between us and the very top.

• Like 1

I’ve just re-done my predictions and I have Spurs finishing above us on goal difference! That would be a real sickener, especially when you consider those two late goals they scored against us at VP. 
Fortunately I am rubbish at predictions so we will probably be ok!

• Like 1

Spurs will beat Burnley, SU and Chelsea IMO. Think they'll get a draw against Newcatle. Puts them at 70 points

Just now, Pinebro said:

Spurs will beat Burnley, SU and Chelsea IMO. Think they'll get a draw against Newcatle. Puts them at 70 points

We will beat Bournemouth, Brighton and Palace, and draw with Chelsea.  Puts us on 70.  Looks like it's going down to goal difference.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We will beat Bournemouth, Brighton and Palace, and draw with Chelsea.  Puts us on 70.  Looks like it's going down to goal difference.

Going to be very nervy then. I think Spurs will just beat us to 4th, sadly. Though I do think 5th will get CL? Admittedly I am not sure how that whole thing works!

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

The thing about Spurs and Us is that it's impossible to predict. I wouldn't rule out us beating Arsenal and Liverpool and losing to Bournemouth. 

But if I was a betting man, I would say it's advantage spurs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Again.

Fingers crossed they do and theoretically they should.  City having played 4 games in 9 days and real 1 in 9 days doesn’t help.  Prem teams could be vey tired for first legs.

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Fingers crossed they do and theoretically they should.  City having played 4 games in 9 days and real 1 in 9 days doesn’t help.  Prem teams could be vey tired for first legs.

Yeah, hopefully they've rotated enough to see it through. This isn't a particularly good Real side, their competition is really poor in La Liga this year. 

Problem is we have Liverpool on matchday 37

We probably have to be 4 points clear of Spurs by then because they play Burnley and SU

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Yeah, hopefully they've rotated enough to see it through. This isn't a particularly good Real side, their competition is really poor in La Liga this year. 

Bayer and dortmund have played just twice in over 3 weeks as well, just checked.  Going to be tough.  

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Bayer and dortmund have played just twice in over 3 weeks as well, just checked.  Going to be tough.  

Moyesball to get one over super Xabi 🤣

Spurs should finish 68-70 points, Brighton away is a very tough game for us but if we can get 2 more wins before the palace game that should cement 5th and give us a chance at 4th on the final day of the season.

We should have a clearer picture by game week 36 as to whether 4th is achievable for us as Spurs will be expected to win their last 2 games.

Very tough run for Spurs now and Newcastle away is always a tough game despite their form and injuries.

6 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Spurs should finish 68-70 points, Brighton away is a very tough game for us but if we can get 2 more wins before the palace game that should cement 5th and give us a chance at 4th on the final day of the season.

We should have a clearer picture by game week 36 as to whether 4th is achievable for us as Spurs will be expected to win their last 2 games.

Very tough run for Spurs now and Newcastle away is always a tough game despite their form and injuries.

Wishful thinking but, we've seen it before, once the team is confirmed relegated, they suddenly start playing some football as the pressure is off. And Spurs are called Spursy for a reason.

I'm a believer, mate.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And?

People are acting like we're going to lose our last 6 games

We haven't lost more than 2 in a row all season. That might end this week given we've got Arsenal and they're flying, but we're not just going to lose all of our games.

As soon as we have a bad result or two people act like we're collapsing into nothingness.

We're not. 

We've dropped in form, which is understandable, and we're probably going to somewhat limp over the line. But the dramatic bed wetting from certain posters as soon as we drop points acting like we're suddenly going to lose every game 5-0 is embarrassing.

There's clearly posters in here relishing the prospect of getting 6th so they can say they told us so. it's pathetic

Nobody wants that prospect. I'm saying on current form it is more likely we'll lose 5-0 than get a result at Arsenal. It's not pessimistic it's realistic based on current form. Maybe not 5-0 but a loss all the same.

As it is I think we have a decent chance for 4th and Spurs nightmare run I can see them easily only getting 1-3 points from. However the remaining games are MUST WIN. Not 'ahh a draw not so bad' games, we NEED to beat at least Bournemouth, Palace and probably Chelsea or Brighton as well to have a chance. And that's a lot of pressure on players that I'm not sure are capable of handling it on recent evidence. 

People also don't want to hear it but those Manc shit eaters are still in with a chance as well. They'll have to win nearly every game but they can do that. If they fail to beat Bournemouth and we beat palace and Bournemouth that's probably enough for 5th. If they win though and we lose to Arsenal that's effectively 5 points behind with 4 to play as the game in hand is to Sheffield. And we still have Liverpool in those 4 games. It's shit to think about but it could happen.

Edited by VillaJ100

22 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Nobody wants that prospect. I'm saying on current form it is more likely we'll lose 5-0 than get a result at Arsenal. It's not pessimistic it's realistic based on current form. Maybe not 5-0 but a loss all the same.

As it is I think we have a decent chance for 4th and Spurs nightmare run I can see them easily only getting 1-3 points from. However the remaining games are MUST WIN. Not 'ahh a draw not so bad' games, we NEED to beat at least Bournemouth, Palace and probably Chelsea or Brighton as well to have a chance. And that's a lot of pressure on players that I'm not sure are capable of handling it on recent evidence. 

People also don't want to hear it but those Manc shit eaters are still in with a chance as well. They'll have to win nearly every game but they can do that. If they fail to beat Bournemouth and we beat palace and Bournemouth that's probably enough for 5th. If they win though and we lose to Arsenal that's effectively 5 points behind with 4 to play as the game in hand is to Sheffield. And we still have Liverpool in those 4 games. It's shit to think about but it could happen.

But nobody is talking about the prospect of losing one game against Arsenal. In talking about the people convinced we’re going to slip down to 6th by losing all of our games. 

It isn’t going to happen. We’re going to pick up wins and despite what you say, Man Utd are not capable of winning all of their games. There is literally no metrics from this season that suggests they are capable of anywhere near that sort of form. It’s fantasy. 

3 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

I just want to sound a word of caution re 5th place being UCL…Arsenal and City both being knocked out is absolutely feasible

Absolutely.  City look wide open at the back, if Mateta and Jordan Ayew can cut them open, Vinicius and Bellingham will have a field day.  Arsenal also haven't been that impressive in CL, and Bayern have lost Bundes so CL is all they have to play for, and Kane loves a goal against Arsenal.  It will be a nervy few weeks.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1