Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Our result yesterday was not quite as bad as Liverpool's draw at Luton relatively speaking, I wonder how they are reacting to that. Sunday was very disappointing, we need to make up for that in the coming weeks, as we did after our previous defeats. We go again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

Our result yesterday was not quite as bad as Liverpool's draw at Luton relatively speaking, I wonder how they are reacting to that. Sunday was very disappointing, we need to make up for that in the coming weeks, as we did after our previous defeats. We go again. 

Answering my own question, some comments from LFC Reds below:

"As you say there are so many variables which can decide the outcome in any football match. Contrary to some reports, I don't think Luton played well....I don't think Luton are capable of playing well....actually Luton didn't even need to be able to play well. The result stems from a pre- match mindset of thinking it was a guaranteed win. The chances missed early in the game were shrugged off with an attitude of well score later on....there was a malaise right across the team right from the start. As for loving the underdog....I still feel sick now thinking back to leaving Wembley after the cup defeat to Wimbledon."

"Agree. No excuses for that yesterday. The main issue I had was the attitude . It wasn't right. We had a number of games like this last season where the attitude wasn't right and the tactics were wrong.  We can't afford any more . We played well at spurs and were robbed. Brighton we got a fair point in the end. Yesterday is the first time this season I've been scathing of their performance. Any more of those will undermine our CL aspirations. I hope Jürgen read the riot act and I hope he considers using mac further up." 

"The problem today was the players approached the game with the same mindset as you..."Ah Luton, they must be sh*te....etc.." First time, and hopefully the last time we've seen that this season."

"Can't win em all. One of those days, nobody played that well."

"Now that I’m a bit calmer….. it’s crazy what a leveller this game is. Like even after all these years of watching football, I just look at this game and assume we’ll win. Ahh Luton, they must be sh*te. We’re boss. We’ll turn up and roll them. Just doesn’t work like that. Last year forest. And Bournemouth. I’ll never learn. Next year will probably be Ipswich. Or West Brom ffs.  It’s just further proof that away games are never gonna be easy."

"Surprise, surprise,  a setback and out come all the doom mongers again. Players being slaughtered,  towels being thrown in. 3 points behind  shitty despite a summer rebuild,  still a work in progress. One of early chances go in and we win comfortably."

Link: https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,53638.391.html

• I'm not sure our players were complacent in the sense they thought it would be a stroll.  It did look to me though as if they put too much faith in the Emery method of patient, controlled build up at too slow a tempo. As if they thought it would all come good if they just kept at it.   I think we failed to adapt to Forest's aggressive pressing and high tempo, coupled with a disciplined mid to low block.  We were being outrun, out challenged and out muscled all over the park and our slow build ups were not particularly effective.  Even when they were, our finishing was awful today.  I think we needed to inject a higher tempo and sense of urgency into what we were doing, especially after goal two. It just never seemed to happen until maybe towards the end and we rant out of time. 
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

True, but whether they do or don't probably isn't going to be indicated in games against lower-midtable crap like Chelsea. 

I do think they've had a fairly kind fixture list and some favourable situations but they've passed every test so far with flying colours.

To be fair though if you beat 9-20 home and away that's 72 points 

23 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

What a f***ing opportunity we missed.

This is painful

It is, but it's a long season, other similar opportunities will come. If anything, plop drawing and spurs drawing (hopefully) means it's not that bad of a weekend. 

Spurs potentially missing all of Maddison, Van De Ven and Romero v us, last two for definite. 

Bissouma and Udogie also one yellow away from one match bans.

We don't want to balance that up by losing Kamara and Luiz for that game, both on 4 yellows going into Fulham.

I'd play Diaby on the left v them, there's so much space behind Porro in the positions he takes up, I can't believe teams haven't really exploited that this seaosn. Just get McGinn and possibly Tielemans to ping diagonals in that direction and we'll get big chances.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Van de Ven and Romeo out the Villa game. Big big big opportunity 

I thought Dier had been frozen out. Quite surprised he's still the main back up CB seemingly given Emerson Royal is more of a full back.

Wouldn't shock me if they played Hojiberg as CB v us.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, VillaChris said:

I thought Dier had been frozen out. Quite surprised he's still the main back up CB seemingly given Emerson Royal is more of a full back.

Wouldn't shock me if they played Hojiberg as CB v us.

No idea if Ben Davies could be fit, he's played CB a lot before. Think Udogie can play there too.

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

No idea if Ben Davies could be fit, he's played CB a lot before. Think Udogie can play there too.

Davies is steady eddie but he usually plays as LCB in a back 3, he'd be more exposed in back 4.

I expect us to score twice down there but of course with what Spurs have going in final third they could score 2-3 v us. Maddison out would be a huge help as he just links things up perfectly for them.

The pace they were playing at in first 15 minutes was frightening but luckily it stayed 1-0 and since then they've had three months of misfortune in 30 delicious minutes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Davies is steady eddie but he usually plays as LCB in a back 3, he'd be more exposed in back 4.

I expect us to score twice down there but of course with what Spurs have going in final third they could score 2-3 v us. Maddison out would be a huge help as he just links things up perfectly for them.

The pace they were playing at in first 15 minutes was frightening but luckily it stayed 1-0 and since then they've had three months of misfortune in 30 delicious minutes.

It's only fair after some of the luck they've had 😅

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

What a f***ing opportunity we missed.

This is painful

Everyone who didn't pick up 3 points will feel the same though. Also no prizes for being top 4 in November, we just need to make sure we're there after 38 matches.

• Like 3